Shall I pursue dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I completed a BS degree in Biochem. in 2004 and then worked in IT for 3 years. Meanwhile I attempted DAT and did not score good, so I dropped the idea of studyng dentistry, thinking it was not for me. Also, the tuition fees are pretty high; especially for a non-resident (which I am).
Now I am 26 (going to marry soon) and still dream of pursuing dentistry. Do you think I should give it another shot or is it too late in life to run behind a dream?
Shall I forget about this stream? Will it be too difficult to take DAT and study dentistry after marriage?

Thank you all in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,
I completed a BS degree in Biochem. in 2004 and then worked in IT for 3 years. Meanwhile I attempted DAT and did not score good, so I dropped the idea of studyng dentistry, thinking it was not for me. Also, the tuition fees are pretty high; especially for a non-resident (which I am).
Now I am 26 (going to marry soon) and still dream of pursuing dentistry. Do you think I should give it another shot or is it too late in life to run behind a dream?
Shall I forget about this stream? Will it be too difficult to take DAT and study dentistry after marriage?

26 is late in life?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you rich?
If not, get ready for hell. Paying for family and tuition is not easy.
But the reward is worth it, financial stability.

good luck

26?? That train has sailed, my friend. You should prepare to retire at that ripe old age.

You'll be fine. Pursue your dream :)

think about where you would be in 20 years. if you were to look back at when you are 26, you'd realize how young and how much potential you had. so i say go for it! you'd be glad that you did.

Lets say you get in at 28 and graduate at 32. You would still have at least 20-25 years of good coin ahead of you. I don't think you should let some pre-dental forum dictate your life decisions but if you want to, I say suck it up, get to work, and become a dentist. You won't regret it.

If you want it, get it! I decided to apply to dental school in 2006, when I was 26. I had taken the DAT before and just scored average. The second time around I increased both my AA and PAT by 2 points. Now I am 28 and a D2. I don't regret it at all and there are a lot of people my age and older in my class. It's great! ;)

I started this year at 26. I'm married and have a daughter who is almost 20 months. Its not easy (what is that's worth it) but I can tell you, nothing brightens up a hard day at school than coming home to your family.

I started this year at 26. I'm married and have a daughter who is almost 20 months. Its not easy (what is that's worth it) but I can tell you, nothing brightens up a hard day at school than coming home to your family.

I second that! :p

I am 33 and got married this summer (in the midst of studying for the DAT). I have a couple of engineering degrees and have worked in industry for several years, but am giving it up to become a dentist. I am applying this cycle and will start dental school when I am 34.

I say go for it, under a couple of conditions:

1. You have an understanding and supportive spouse! If you put in the hard work necessary to get into dental school (not to mention the workload required in dental school), you will be spending a lot of time with your nose in the books, which means a lot of time not with your spouse.

2. Put your heart and soul into it. Study and work hard to make yourself the best possible candidate for dental school: score >20s on the DAT, volunteer, shadow, research, get A's in any and all prereqs.

If you meet these two conditions, then by all means pursue your dream!

Last edited:
For a dental career I feel so...:scared:

Helix, come on man. I am 43 years old and pursuing my dream! Go for it and do not look back if you feel it is your calling. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ditto. I had a BA and had to go back for the science prereqs when I was 26-27. Applied/accepted at 28 and started at 29. In some ways my wife and 4 year old son are really an advantage. The NYC nightlife has a way of cutting into the single people's study time. My wife works part time and I got lucky that our public school is very good and offers free pre-k from 8:30 - 2:30. Now I'm doing crown preps, making dentures/partials, restorative, etc. and lovin it!

I am 33 and got married this summer (in the midst of studying for the DAT). I have a couple of engineering degrees and have worked in industry for several years, but am giving it up to become a dentist. I am applying this cycle and will start dental school when I am 34.

I say go for it, under a couple of conditions:

1. You have an understanding and supportive spouse! If you put in the hard work necessary to get into dental school (not to mention the workload required in dental school), you will be spending a lot of time with your nose in the books, which means a lot of time not with your spouse.

2. Put your heart and soul into it. Study and work hard to make yourself the best possible candidate for dental school: score >20s on the DAT, volunteer, shadow, research, get A's in any and all prereqs.

If you meet these two conditions, then by all means pursue your dream!

agree with this too. OP, with a family you can't take two years to apply. You MUST rock the DAT the first time to basically guarantee yourself a spot. And your spouse has to be on board. In my case, it was easier once I was accepted because my wife knew it would just be a matter of time until I was once again employed. Also, my wife is really good about living simple.

I am 25 and just applying. From what I saw the average age in dental schools is around 25-26 with some people at 30+ and 20% of the class are married. So don't worry about it

Friend,

Go for it! I am 28 years old and just completed my first year of dental school. I have a wife and a baby due at any moment. The class average for age is 27. There are several students in our school in their 40's. I have several friends (classmates) with two, three and even four children. If you have a true desire to pursue dentistry -- make the sacrifices, work hard and and a career in dentistry will most likely provide many rewards to you and your family!

Best of luck.

Take care,
DMyers

like others said, go for it.

im 26 and married, own a house, 2 cats and a dog. I just took the DAT and am applying for fall of 2009, so ill be 27 when i start if i get in my first time around.

make sure you spouse to be is supportive of this as it will drastically change your life. for example, I have to sell my house because there is no dental school around me and my wife and i are planning to have kids in a couple of years.

Good luck and go for it if it really your dream.

Thank you all for your encouraging words and stories!!
I will think about it and talk to my hubby to be.
I hope being a girl has nothing to do with family pressures.

Good luck to all!!!

Will it be too difficult to take DAT and study dentistry after marriage?

It was fine for me and Im married. Its different being the girl I guess but if he is 100% in on it with you then its for sure doable. I studied for mine while I was taking a full semester at a dual curriculum college. Studied on weekends and every free minute but it was a few months of hard work and then its over.

Thank you all for your encouraging words and stories!!
I will think about it and talk to my hubby to be.
I hope being a girl has nothing to do with family pressures.

Good luck to all!!!

Keep us updated and Good Luck!!!!

Is it too late to go back at my age....so many years dedicated to this profession. First as a dental hygienist then crossed over into sales of preventive products and sales management of dental implants and regenerative products for the last eight years...always thinking I should have bit the bullet when I was younger, but was too restless and felt I had to get out and discover the world. Is it too late?

I'm 63...don't tell me age is an issue

Is it too late to go back at my age....so many years dedicated to this profession. First as a dental hygienist then crossed over into sales of preventive products and sales management of dental implants and regenerative products for the last eight years...always thinking I should have bit the bullet when I was younger, but was too restless and felt I had to get out and discover the world. Is it too late?

It is never too late....I think there was a guy last year that applied that was 72 years old. I figure it this way....If John Mccain can run for Prez at 71, I can surely become a dentist when I am 48!