Shame on ACFAS for posting this job offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

air bud

I am a dog and play basketball
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have removed info from the add to hopefully comply with TOS on SDN - but this is f-ing joke of a job. And shame on ACFAS for taking their money to promote the job. Also it is one of the most expensive cost of living locations in the US.

A unique opportunity for a Board Certified/Board Eligible Podiatrist to join a multi-specialty orthopedic group of 14 physicians in XXX. This is your opportunity to hone in on your specialty, under the guidance of a Foot and Ankle Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon. Your practice will be focused on palliative care, wound care, orthotics, and clinic procedures such as ingrown toenails and callus debridement. You will have clinical autonomy and will assist in surgical procedures to include forefoot, midfoot, hindfoot and ankle procedures XXX.

We are looking for a smart and introspective DPM to round out our practice. You will complete our Foot and Ankle service line and have a hand in growing the business. You will play a role in driving marketing decisions for our F&A service and will may be leveraged for teaching and consulting. You will also have growth and development opportunities to hone your craft while networking in the community through events such as monthly F&A journal clubs and outreach to the local medical community. We have three office locations in XXX. This is an employed position without a partnership/ownership track. Salary $110-120k includes benefits excluding malpractice insurance, retirement with $1000 of CME per year, 2 weeks of paid vacation.

Specifics of responsibilities include:

• Clinic Mon, Wed & Fri in Novato and Tue AM and Thur PM in XXX
    • Co clinic on Mon, Tue PM and Thur AM with F&A Ortho
    • Individual clinic on Wed & Fri, Tue AM and Thur PM. Would surgical assist on Wed & Fri but be alone on Tue AM & Thur PM
    • Average pt is 10-15 per 1/2 day
  • XXX ER/office call 3-5 days per month
  • Surgical procedures under the direction of F&A Ortho.

Members don't see this ad.

I have removed info from the add to hopefully comply with TOS on SDN - but this is f-ing joke of a job. And shame on ACFAS for taking their money to promote the job. Also it is one of the most expensive cost of living locations in the US.

A unique opportunity for a Board Certified/Board Eligible Podiatrist to join a multi-specialty orthopedic group of 14 physicians in XXX. This is your opportunity to hone in on your specialty, under the guidance of a Foot and Ankle Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon. Your practice will be focused on palliative care, wound care, orthotics, and clinic procedures such as ingrown toenails and callus debridement. You will have clinical autonomy and will assist in surgical procedures to include forefoot, midfoot, hindfoot and ankle procedures XXX.

We are looking for a smart and introspective DPM to round out our practice. You will complete our Foot and Ankle service line and have a hand in growing the business. You will play a role in driving marketing decisions for our F&A service and will may be leveraged for teaching and consulting. You will also have growth and development opportunities to hone your craft while networking in the community through events such as monthly F&A journal clubs and outreach to the local medical community. We have three office locations in XXX. This is an employed position without a partnership/ownership track. Salary $110-120k includes benefits excluding malpractice insurance, retirement with $1000 of CME per year, 2 weeks of paid vacation.

Specifics of responsibilities include:

• Clinic Mon, Wed & Fri in Novato and Tue AM and Thur PM in XXX
    • Co clinic on Mon, Tue PM and Thur AM with F&A Ortho
    • Individual clinic on Wed & Fri, Tue AM and Thur PM. Would surgical assist on Wed & Fri but be alone on Tue AM & Thur PM
    • Average pt is 10-15 per 1/2 day
  • XXX ER/office call 3-5 days per month
  • Surgical procedures under the direction of F&A Ortho.

Welcome to reality. You think this is sad or insulting? The sad and insulting part is how many people will apply for this position.

The orthopods are winning.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand there are jobs like this, and yes I know how many people will apply. I just don't know why ACFAS would post this? It goes against everything they are working towards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand there are jobs like this, and yes I know how many people will apply. I just don't know why ACFAS would post this? It goes against everything they are working towards.

You know the answer. Everything that happens in this profession is about the almighty dollar.

It’s the same reason that there used to be job listings in the back of JFAS. And many ads were only for foot and ankle orthopods and not podiatrists. And it’s the journal of the ACFAS.

Reactions: 1 user
You will play a role in driving marketing decisions for our F&A service and will may be leveraged for teaching and consulting.

That was my favorite part. You think the teaching position involves going to nearby San Quentin State Prison to teach the inmates about ingrown nails?

Also making 110 only in the bay area - sheesh.

Meh, ACFAS isn't directly responsible for the 3rd party jobs website that posts all of those. There are rarely more than 5-10 jobs posted on that site and some that have ran multiple times or for like a year straight. I'm not sure they can afford to tell people "no, we aren't going to post that job." But yeah, the optics are bad. Kinda reeks desperation which is probably the case when it comes to that job site.

It's really brilliant on the ortho groups part, and funny considering their F&A ortho went to podiatry school before medical school. They are hiring you as a PA, for PA money, but you are totally autonomous. They don't have to sign off on your notes, they don't have to be in the same building as you while you see/treat patients, etc. They can run a second OR and let you do piddly soft tissue stuff. You are way more valuable than a PA and they get you for the same price. I have their website bookmarked so that I can check back and see who the sucker that ends up taking the job is...

Reactions: 2 users

That was my favorite part. You think the teaching position involves going to nearby San Quentin State Prison to teach the inmates about ingrown nails?

Also making 110 only in the bay area - sheesh.

Holla fo a dollar?

Chip for some free chips?

Speaking of prisons, I just watched the documentary "turned out" on youtube
Makes chipping and clipping "Hell" seem like a dream in comparison

I'm confused but most practices are salary+BONUS based. Would $120k not be a good salary depending if they got a bonus? I'm just assuming this because they were partner track. The doctor I shadowed offered similar salaries but the bonus usually lifted the associates over or around $200k.

From a business standpoint wouldn't the practice get reimbursed more with a F/A ortho signing off on the surgery(some insurances don't cover podiatry for orthopedic surgery...) ?

Last edited:
Welcome to reality. You think this is sad or insulting? The sad and insulting part is how many people will apply for this position.

The orthopods are winning.

The AOFAS has been quietly beating podiatry back into the corner we crawled out of about 10-15 years ago.

They are better at marketing than ACFAS. Better at social media than ACFAS. Their journals are better. Their conferences are superior to ACFAS because AOFAS only allows surgeons with real experience to lecture rather than a bunch of fellowship trained podiatrists fresh out of fellowship training. I could go on and on...

AOFAS is responsible for creating all these non surgical podiatrist jobs with respected ortho groups and university hospitals. Or IF there is surgery involved with the position it’s only for forefoot and infections while FA Ortho takes all the good stuff.

Our ability to do complex foot and ankle surgery freely is being taken away from us and we don’t even know it yet.

Look for the "O" guys. All any of us can do is educate our patients and participate in the general education of the public at large about what it is that we do. A lot easier said than done considering our profession is so predatory, internally competitive, and lacks unity. Which brings me to my last point - I will never let my kid even consider podiatry despite things turning out well for me. Sad to say, but its true.

Look to people like Hal Ornstein for hope, and the jazillion organizations he started. You, too, can be rich!! Join me now!!