Shame on UTSW!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureMD415

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UT Southwestern ordered to pay Egyptian-born doctor $3.6 million for discrimination, retaliation

SHAME SHAME

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...cience/stories/052710dmetnassar.40453734.html

http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2010/05/24/daily35.html

People need to seriously rethink about applying to this institution!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was really offended by Dr. Nassar suggestion that a Dallas jury--and by Dallas I assume he just meant American--would discriminate against him. It seems as if he was the one with a stereotypical view of individuals and not, as is alleged in the case, Dr. Levine.

I didn't see any evidence that Dr. Levine discriminated against him. I don't doubt that she tried to commit fraud, nor do I doubt that she fired and retaliated against Dr. Nassar because of his non-compliance, but I highly doubt that any of the antagonisms were prompted by Dr. Nassar's race.

Reading through the story, it appeared as if Dr. Levine had no idea where Dr. Nassar was even from, as she only referenced Pakistan and not, as is Dr. Nassar's true nationality, Egypt.

I'm glad you replied, but the way I saw it she did use his race/religion. She brought up both with Dr. Keiser! From the article:

"The Keiser affidavit added that Levine "made it clear to me that she was Jewish and that she believed I was Jewish also," although he is Christian."

The fact that the jury took less than an hour to side with Dr. Nasser also highlights her wrongdoing!

Members don't see this ad :)
UT Southwestern ordered to pay Egyptian-born doctor $3.6 million for discrimination, retaliation

SHAME SHAME

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...cience/stories/052710dmetnassar.40453734.html

http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2010/05/24/daily35.html

People need to seriously rethink about applying to this institution!!

If this is true, which I believe it probably is (there are two sides to every story, however, and we only really got one), all it does is imply that UTSW made a single poor personnel decision in appointing her ID director, not that UTSW is a poor or discriminatory institution. I would be surprised if she was not dismissed after this as well.

If this is true, which I believe it probably is (there are two sides to every story, however, and we only really got one), all it does is imply that UTSW made a single poor personnel decision in appointing her ID director, not that UTSW is a poor or discriminatory institution. I would be surprised if she was not dismissed after this as well.

I hate to disagree but I rest my case on the following drawn from the article:

1. "He [Nasser] added that he had "spoken to other physicians of Middle Eastern origin who have faced similar barriers to hiring and/or retention with the Division of Infectious Diseases.""

*****2. "Drs. Levine and Fitz then worked to block Dr. Nassar from taking the new position at Parkland Hospital by refusing to give him a favorable recommendation and warning Parkland not to hire him. Because of these coordinated efforts to undermine his offer from Parkland, Dr. Nassar was forced to take a position at a hospital and medical school in California."

*****From the following: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-employment-discrimination-case-95029599.html

Know who Dr. Fitz is?? "Dr. Greg Fitz was chairman of the university's department of medicine then and now is dean of the medical school."

The DEAN OF THE MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you replied, but the way I saw it she did use his race/religion. She brought up both with Dr. Keiser! From the article:

"The Keiser affidavit added that Levine "made it clear to me that she was Jewish and that she believed I was Jewish also," although he is Christian."

The fact that the jury took less than an hour to side with Dr. Nasser also highlights her wrongdoing!

Time required to deliberate means absolutely nothing. If anything it can be used as a proxy for the effectiveness of the case against UTSW and Dr. Levine, but it is could also just be a reflection of the prowress of Dr. Nassar's attorney.

You obviously have not been around a lot of Jewish people. Most Jewish people approach and discuss their heritage with people who they think are like them. Keiser is a very jewish name and I am not surprised that Dr. Levine would talk to him in an amicable manner on assumed common ethnic grounds. Does not mean that Dr. Levine has a preference for Jewish people, nor does it imply that she dislike Arabs.

"1. "He [Nasser] added that he had "spoken to other physicians of Middle Eastern origin who have faced similar barriers to hiring and/or retention with the Division of Infectious Diseases.""

Dr. Nassar could be lying. This is completely speculative and can not be used as grounds to discredit the reputation of an entire institution. If anything it speaks poorly of their personnel choices, but does not reflect an overall culture of discrimination at UTSW.

"*****2. "Drs. Levine and Fitz then worked to block Dr. Nassar from taking the new position at Parkland Hospital by refusing to give him a favorable recommendation and warning Parkland not to hire him. Because of these coordinated efforts to undermine his offer from Parkland, Dr. Nassar was forced to take a position at a hospital and medical school in California."

The article acutally explains why the administration was aghast by Dr. Nassar's actions. Apparently, UTSW has a prior agreement to coordinate the supplying of physicians at Parkland. Dr. Nassar was attempting to circumvent this formal process and Dr. Fitz consequently sought to prevent Dr. Nassar from doing so. This was an administrative turf war, not ethnic discrimination.

Time required to deliberate means absolutely nothing. If anything it can be used as a proxy for the effectiveness of the case against UTSW and Dr. Levine, but it is could also just be a reflection of the prowress of Dr. Nassar's attorney.

You obviously have not been around a lot of Jewish people. Most Jewish people approach and discuss their heritage with people who they think are like them. Keiser is a very jewish name and I am not surprised that Dr. Levine would talk to him in an amicable manner on assumed common ethnic grounds. Does not mean that Dr. Levine has a preference for Jewish people, nor does it imply that she dislike Arabs.

I see your first point and I agree! You know what I have a lot of Jewish friends, but I guess I never noticed...go figure

Dr. Nassar could be lying. This is completely speculative and can not be used as grounds to discredit the reputation of an entire institution. If anything it speaks poorly of their personnel choices, but does not reflect an overall culture of discrimination at UTSW.

The article acutally explains why the administration was aghast by Dr. Nassar's actions. Apparently, UTSW has a prior agreement to coordinate the supplying of physicians at Parkland. Dr. Nassar was attempting to circumvent this formal process and Dr. Fitz consequently sought to prevent Dr. Nassar from doing so. This was an administrative turf war, not ethnic discrimination.

I guess we have to agree to disagree! Again from the article:

"Trial testimony also showed that Dr. Levine delayed promoting Dr. Nassar based on his race and religious beliefs. "

The real point to consider is that Dr. Levine tried to coerce Dr. Nassar into double billing, to commit fraud, a federal felony criminal act - the rest of her actions against him stemmed from there.

It will be interesting to see the results of Medicare and the Feds audits of other UTSW physicians' billings within The Department of Medicine and Infecious Diseases Section.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I was really offended by Dr. Nassar suggestion that a Dallas jury--and by Dallas I assume he just meant American--would discriminate against him. It seems as if he was the one with a stereotypical view of individuals and not, as is alleged in the case, Dr. Levine.

I didn't see any evidence that Dr. Levine discriminated against him. I don't doubt that she tried to commit fraud, nor do I doubt that she fired and retaliated against Dr. Nassar because of his non-compliance, but I highly doubt that any of the antagonisms were prompted by Dr. Nassar's race.

Reading through the story, it appeared as if Dr. Levine had no idea where Dr. Nassar was even from, as she only referenced Pakistan and not, as is Dr. Nassar's true nationality, Egypt.

I can't comment on the actual story because I don't believe we have enough info, but I will say that racist people - or people who aren't racist but who do or say racist things - don't care where you're from. One middle easterner (or south asian?) is the same as another. These are the same people who might mistakenly refer to the "country" of Africa.

As other users have pointed out, the OP spammed this post among 5 different forums last night. As he had no other posts, and due to other factors, he has been banned for trolling.

You are welcome to continue this discussion in School Specific Discussions; I am moving this thread there.

The real point to consider is that Dr. Levine tried to coerce Dr. Nassar into double billing, to commit fraud, a federal felony criminal act - the rest of her actions against him stemmed from there.

It will be interesting to see the results of Medicare and the Feds audits of other UTSW physicians' billings within The Department of Medicine and Infecious Diseases Section.

1. I agree, the overarching issue here is fraud! I think THAT issue is much larger than the discrimination bit...mostly because minorities have/will continue to face discrimination in medicine on all levels (pre-med, med school, internship, fellowship...you get my drift) so one "currupt" lady isnt going to stop him...especially after making it as far as he has in his career.

2. Im offended that this coercing into fraud dealt with HIV/AIDS populations which are often people in the most underserved, mistreated (as far as medical care) and lower tiered SES communities...tisk tisk...

1. I agree, the overarching issue here is fraud! I think THAT issue is much larger than the discrimination bit...mostly because minorities have/will continue to face discrimination in medicine on all levels (pre-med, med school, internship, fellowship...you get my drift) so one "currupt" lady isnt going to stop him...especially after making it as far as he has in his career.

2. Im offended that this coercing into fraud dealt with HIV/AIDS populations which are often people in the most underserved, mistreated (as far as medical care) and lower tiered SES communities...tisk tisk...

Well guess what: "Feds probe alleged fraud at UT Southwestern, Parkland"

See the following article:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...stories/053010dnproinvestigation.1a1ba92.html

So I guess you and Moonglow were right!!

I'm a student at UTSW. I'm ill-informed on the particulars of this case, and I'm prone to the tendency to defend my institution by default out of loyalty, so my commentary on the matter probably isn't of much use. But I do think some who are following this story might take an interest in the following e-mail that was sent out by Dr. Podolsky, the president of UTSW, to the UTSW community last week:

To the UT Southwestern Campus Community:

As you may have read or heard from today's newspaper and radio accounts, a Dallas jury has recommended award of damages to a former UT Southwestern physician, Dr. Naiel Nassar, who resigned his employment. I am writing to you to be sure you are aware of the background and relevant facts.

In contrast to some reports, UT Southwestern has not yet been ordered to pay damages of any amount, much less the amount recommended by the jury. Irrespective of what damage award the court ultimately renders, UT Southwestern intends to vigorously contest the results of this trial. We firmly believe that the jury's recommendations are inconsistent with the law and facts. We are greatly disappointed by the jury's decision and do not believe it reflects the fairness with which UT Southwestern approached Dr. Nassar's employment.

Rather than undermining Dr. Nassar's career as alleged, personnel files clearly showed that his division chief, Dr. Beth Levine, and his then department chair, Dr. Greg Fitz, acting on behalf of UT Southwestern, had recommended and obtained a promotion for him prior to his decision to leave. As demonstrated at the trial, Dr. Nassar's personnel file contained letters of support and recommendation from both Dr. Fitz and Dr. Levine. We believe these documents make clear that UT Southwestern acted without discrimination or malice, contrary to Dr. Nassar's claims and his present employment demonstrates that no actions of UT Southwestern damaged or undermined his career. UT Southwestern has the utmost confidence in Dr. Levine and Dr. Fitz, who have been exemplary in their leadership responsibilities. We further believe the claims of damages were grossly inflated by Dr. Nassar's lawyers and were not supported by the testimony or by documentary evidence nor is the size of the award supported by applicable law.

UT Southwestern holds itself to the highest standards of integrity and respect for our faculty, staff and students, and we disagree with any decision that implies otherwise. The university takes pride in ensuring an environment that supports a diverse faculty and workforce and is firmly committed to our responsibilities as an equal opportunity employer. In fact, the U.S. Department of Labor specifically cited UT Southwestern’s initiatives in awarding the Exemplary Voluntary Efforts (EVE) Award in 2008 for our success in increasing equal employment opportunities.

Throughout the period at issue, UT Southwestern physicians have continued to provide uninterrupted, outstanding care to those seeking help. Central to our mission, UT Southwestern is committed to excellence in clinical care.

Daniel K. Podolsky, M.D.
President
UT Southwestern Medical Center

Here is the response to the alleged fraud addressed by Dr. Podolsky, the president of UTSW, to the UTSW community:

To the UT Southwestern Campus Community:

On Sunday, May 30, the Dallas Morning News published as a front page story a lengthy - but misleading and incomplete - article about UT Southwestern.

Most of the article focused on a case from 1998 involving a former employee, Jack Mooney, who had contacted federal authorities to raise questions about UT Southwestern's billing practices. Sunday's article offered no new information and repeated a number of false and unsubstantiated claims.

A governmental review at that time of UT Southwestern's billing practices found nothing to support an assessment of liability against UT Southwestern. There were no findings of wrongdoing, no charges, no fines, no penalties, and no settlements that resulted from the Mooney claims - which came at a time when the federal government was aggressively pursuing such cases against other academic medical centers and when some of these investigations resulted in significant fines and penalties elsewhere.

Additional allegations about residency supervision and billing now date back three years and have been thoroughly investigated multiple times, again with nothing found that would be the basis for wrongdoing or liability against UT Southwestern. The basis for the Dallas Morning News' specific assertion that a "probe has identified millions of dollars in potential fraud" resulting from UT Southwestern's billing for unsupervised resident services is unknown to us and lacks credibility. Such claims are an unjustified affront to the nearly 2,000 physicians who are here every day providing outstanding patient care and teaching those who will provide patient care in the future.
UT Southwestern has a long-standing and significant institutional commitment to ensuring that its practices - including but not limited to professional billing - are conducted in full accord with applicable law and regulations. We regularly conduct reviews across all areas of the university, as well as provide training via meetings and written materials to staff because the regulatory requirements governing the practice of medicine - and billing for its costs - are complex and continually changing. Our focus is to ensure that our compliance programs evolve with the ever-changing regulatory landscape so that institutional risk is reduced, and institutional resources are available to support our mission.

The Dallas Morning News article selectively excerpted phrases from internal billing compliance memos. By both omission and innuendo, they implied that our professional billings were in some way fraudulent, without any proof or documentation. The specific internal audits they cited related to billing processes, not actual billings.

In contrast to the article's implications, UT Southwestern's professional billing compliance program is well-developed and consistent with federal guidelines. In actuality, the 2010 audit states that the professional billing compliance program has "well-designed processes which are consistent with Office of Inspector General (OIG) Compliance Guidance for Physician Practices."

The audits and memos cited offer strong evidence of our aggressive commitment and approach to compliance, not the wrongdoing that was implied. In addition to other strict compliance controls, we have in place our Compliance Hotline - 877-507-7319 - for all employees to report any concerns related to our business practices, our research, or our patient care.

Our faculty is committed to delivering the very best care to all the patients they serve. I believe that the UT Southwestern community should also be proud of the role it has played in training approximately half of the physicians currently practicing in North Texas and of our world class research, which informs the patient care delivered by our committed professionals.

Residents learn by doing. At every major academic medical center in the nation, physician training is accomplished by allowing residents gradually to assume increasing responsibility in all areas of patient care, under supervisory guidelines that meet the strict standards of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). This organization regularly monitors and examines our residency supervision to ensure compliance, and we are proud that our surgical residency program meets the ACGME's highest level of review.

While we all regret having our reputation unfairly tarnished by our hometown newspaper, I trust you will respond by doing all you can to continue to support our mission of delivering excellence in patient care, training the physicians that will provide the patient care of the future, and conducting the scientific discovery and research that will save lives in decades to come.

Daniel K. Podolsky, M.D.
President
UT Southwestern Medical Center

The link to this page is: http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept353744/files/591731.html

-----
UTSW Class of 2014

Sounds like a few kids are butt hurt they didn't get accepted. There are always the Caribbean schools that are easier to get into, I suggest you try there.

Status
Not open for further replies.