Shameless Portsmouth plug

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a nice house with 1/2 acre yard and pool that is for rent at Portsmouth if you are interested. Let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully yours does better than mine in portsmouth. Mine's been on the market for sale for around six months and for rent for about four. Ouch :eek:

Hopefully yours does better than mine in portsmouth. Mine's been on the market for sale for around six months and for rent for about four. Ouch :eek:

Way to instantly crap all over his advertisement.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a nice house around 664 and Dock Landing Road with great schools that is a quick drive to Naval Medical Center Portsmouth without any tunnels. Never had a problem renting it. Like it better than my current house!

Last edited:
How's this for crapping on the ad?

Portsmouth has to be the biggest sh*thole on the east coast!

Actually it's getting better and the hospital there is pretty nice. I'd take Portsmouth over many other (definately not all) clinics/hospitals in the Navy.

Actually it's getting better and the hospital there is pretty nice. I'd take Portsmouth over many other (definately not all) clinics/hospitals in the Navy.

Not talking about the hospital at all, just Portsmouth (the city) itself

My place is in Chesapeake.

I've got a nice house with 1/2 acre yard and pool that is for rent at Portsmouth if you are interested. Let me know.

Looks like I'm getting a California billet post-residency, so me too. Roughly the same distance from NMCP as IgD's house, just further out on 58 instead of up 664. 20-25 minutes door-to-door, never any traffic, ever.

4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, big yard, pool, on a cul-de-sac, utterly silent neighborhood.

Anyone moving to NMCP would be well advised to live WEST of the hospital. Otherwise you will rot away daily in that awful tunnel, or sitting on Effingham St waiting to get into the tunnel, sadly watching guys like me drive by in the right lane, get on the freeway, and hit 70 mph in about 5 seconds.

I don't spend any time in the town of Portsmouth, but the hospital is a great place to work.

Chesapeake's nice. There are parts of Portsmouth that have gotten much nicer over the last few years. Downtown has been revitalized pretty nicely and the Port Norfolk area (where I lived for 3yrs during residency) was nice as well (benefited greatly from the 146 bypass). Virginia public schools aren't noted for their great quality anywhere that I know of (at least in the Hampton Roads area), but if I'd had school age kids at the time, I might have been a little more finicky about where I lived based on that criteria.

Chesapeake's nice. There are parts of Portsmouth that have gotten much nicer over the last few years. Downtown has been revitalized pretty nicely and the Port Norfolk area (where I lived for 3yrs during residency) was nice as well (benefited greatly from the 146 bypass). Virginia public schools aren't noted for their great quality anywhere that I know of (at least in the Hampton Roads area), but if I'd had school age kids at the time, I might have been a little more finicky about where I lived based on that criteria.
I grew up in Chesapeake and go to UVA now. Good public schools include Great Bridge and Hickory areas within Chesapeake and a bunch of schools within Virginia Beach. Avoid norfolk/portsmouth public schools.

I grew up in Chesapeake and go to UVA now. Good public schools include Great Bridge and Hickory areas within Chesapeake and a bunch of schools within Virginia Beach. Avoid norfolk/portsmouth public schools.

Completely agree. Chesapeake and VA Beach public schools are good (for the most part), while Norfolk/Portsmouth/Suffolk/Hampton seem to be on opposite sides of the spectrum

Portsmouth is not all that bad. But if you have to be there then Chesapeake is a nice place to stay. Its not too hard to get to the Naval Medical Center, just be sure to get off the interstate before the tunnel or you're screwed. You won't make that mistake twice.

The hospital is a good one. I spent a couple of years in the ER there. There is some politicking but not as bad as Bethesda, I had a buddy there and I would much rather be at Portsmouth. There are a lot of clinics in the area and most of the ER docs I worked with did some work at the trauma center in Norfolk, I forget the name, because it was level one and the Naval hospital was only a two.

The only thing I really did not like about Portsmouth was the mosquitoes and then the grocery clerks constantly complaining about their job. The one thing about Hampton Roads, customer service sucks; but you get used to it.

There are lots of great historical sites to see. I really enjoyed that part. You can have a lot of fun being stationed at NMCP, I know, it could be worse.

Portsmouth is not all that bad. But if you have to be there then Chesapeake is a nice place to stay. Its not too hard to get to the Naval Medical Center, just be sure to get off the interstate before the tunnel or you're screwed. You won't make that mistake twice.

The hospital is a good one. I spent a couple of years in the ER there. There is some politicking but not as bad as Bethesda, I had a buddy there and I would much rather be at Portsmouth. There are a lot of clinics in the area and most of the ER docs I worked with did some work at the trauma center in Norfolk, I forget the name, because it was level one and the Naval hospital was only a two.

The only thing I really did not like about Portsmouth was the mosquitoes and then the grocery clerks constantly complaining about their job. The one thing about Hampton Roads, customer service sucks; but you get used to it.

There are lots of great historical sites to see. I really enjoyed that part. You can have a lot of fun being stationed at NMCP, I know, it could be worse.
1) the level 1 would be Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, a pretty nice facility also used by Eastern VA Med school

2) Bad customer service? that's a weird gripe. I've lived on both coasts and in New England, and I'd say hampton roads' people are generally very hospitable..

Generally hospitable? Maybe it was the weather? The only place in all of Virginia, that was not a tourist stop, I got good service was at P.F. Chang's in Virginia Beach. I would go to a Car lot and have to hunt for a salesman; I thought those guys worked on commission. Realtors were snotty and condescending. Since being away I have tried to contact some government offices out there and they are just not helpful or nice. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of good and happy people out there and I would be happy to go back.

Maybe it was Portsmouth? That is where I lived and where I spent most of my time. Where were you?

Generally hospitable? Maybe it was the weather? The only place in all of Virginia, that was not a tourist stop, I got good service was at P.F. Chang's in Virginia Beach. I would go to a Car lot and have to hunt for a salesman; I thought those guys worked on commission. Realtors were snotty and condescending. Since being away I have tried to contact some government offices out there and they are just not helpful or nice. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of good and happy people out there and I would be happy to go back.

Maybe it was Portsmouth? That is where I lived and where I spent most of my time. Where were you?
I can see what you mean about buying a car or something, but I thought that's expected everywhere. I lived in Chesapeake for 10+ years, which is more "Southern" I guess than much of the surrounding area; so I'm sure that had something to do with it. The 757 definitely has its share of ****bags, as do all places, but from my experience someone is more likely to let you merge in front of them / say hello in passing / other nice things compared to other places. Of course, I have a hometown bias.

Good luck with the sale! I must say...I'm so glad I decided NOT to buy in this area 3 years ago. I will honestly not miss any bit of Hampton roads. In fact, I chose not to do a fellowship out of fear of returning to this area!

as someone who stayed for a month on clerkship in portmsouth, it was ok, not great. but i prefer dc, hampton roads, jax rather than west coast (mainly b/c family/friends are in the area).

and the tunnel traffic can't be that bad, i sit in nyc traffic now, which truely sucks.