Shands/UF audition rotation - should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueridgenc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am looking for some advice. I am very interested to get into IM residency at an MD program. I am currently a 4th year DO student. My comlex I score was 470/80 and waiting to get my comlex II score. I didn't take USMLE step 1 but I am taking USMLE Step II in August.

I am scheduled to go to Shands/UF jacksonville in September for an IM rotation. As much as I would absolutely love to go because I think if nothing else it would be a good experience but here are some of my reasons why I am thinking about canceling my Shands Rotation.

1. My kids start school in late August, and it puts a huge burden on my family if I am not home.

2. Based on what clinical coordinator of Shands told me, I don't think it will help me much to get residency. Instead, I think it would come down to Comlex Score which I recognize mine is (comlex I) very poor.

So I am thinking I probably don't have a good shot at UF Jax anyways. Thus I am wondering if I should cancel this september rotation at Shands.

Any advice/comments would be great, especially anyone familiar with Shands.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I am looking for some advice. I am very interested to get into IM residency at an MD program. I am currently a 4th year DO student. My comlex I score was 470/80 and waiting to get my comlex II score. I didn't take USMLE step 1 but I am taking USMLE Step II in August.

I am scheduled to go to Shands/UF jacksonville in September for an IM rotation. As much as I would absolutely love to go because I think if nothing else it would be a good experience but here are some of my reasons why I am thinking about canceling my Shands Rotation.

1. My kids start school in late August, and it puts a huge burden on my family if I am not home.

2. Based on what clinical coordinator of Shands told me, I don't think it will help me much to get residency. Instead, I think it would come down to Comlex Score which I recognize mine is (comlex I) very poor.

So I am thinking I probably don't have a good shot at UF Jax anyways. Thus I am wondering if I should cancel this september rotation at Shands.

Any advice/comments would be great, especially anyone familiar with Shands.

hi, i am at an MD school in the Northeast but i got my ugrad degree from UF. from speaking with older students and residents at my current institution, it seems that with away clerkships... if you already look great on paper, do not go.. because you will only make yourself look worse. however, if you feel that your paper self does not match up to your abilities and potential... then there is a chance that going will help you. it does seem that UF keeps a lot of its graduates for residency so if your scores can't make you stand out over their own... then maybe going and showing them what you got may be advantageous for you. i hope something ive shared is helpful to you, good luck!