Share the many stories about Waitlists....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am wondering about the stories everyone has about 'people they know' who applied to medical school and got waitlisted at all of them (like 8 schools! and maybe didn't get in or only got into one).

So far, this seems to be the trend for all my applications and needless to say poor scooby is getting nervous!

Tell me your wonderful stories about people with 39 mcat's and 4.0's (oh yea..these are NOT my scores) who got waitlisted at 10 schools across the board and never got in. My roomates good friend got into UCLA at the last second but that was his only acceptance (waitlisted at a ton of other places). He graduated with top stats and great leadership. Sometimes it's a total crapshoot.

While we are at it...I think baylor21 and baylor06 need to share with us how they do it!! I am going to change my name to "Baylor33" or something...maybe that will change the tides of luck for me :)

Members don't see this ad.

No one????
come on!!!!!!!!!

I met one person who applied last year to UCLA. He applied to 59 schools, and only got 5 interviews. From the interviews, he was put on the waitlist at UCLA and Medical college of Ohio (I think). He called UCLA all the time, and got in the day before classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
as you will hear later in the year there IS a great deal of wait list movement and many people get off of waitlists for school some of which are better than any they actually got into earlier. Some people also get in off of waitlists without getting into any other schools. Its a long road....

59 schools??????

Come on now...

Wow. With your 8th post you call my friend a lier.

HEY SCOOBY,

HAVE YOU BEEN WAITLISTED AT ANY SCHOOLS YET? HAVENT'E YOU HAD LIKE 7 OR 8 INTERVIEWS ALREADY?

I THINK THAT IT IS VERY LIKELY YOU WILL GET INTO A COUPLE OF THOSE SCHOOLS.

Yes..I have had a lot of interviews...only a few are rolling though..and from those I was waitlisted :(

Yes..I have had a lot of interviews...only a few are rolling though..and from those I was waitlisted
I have a friend who applied to 33 schools and had competitive stats (3.7, 38Mcat). He interviewed at a TON of schools early on (Sept, Oct) and was waitlisted everywhere. He only got off the waitlist at two schools, neither of which were his top choices. My premed advisor is convinced that he applied to too many schools, so most adcoms thought he was insincere about attending their school...i dont think she knew that amcas doesnt release the list of schools, but i think she was trying to propose some explanation for why this happened.

Sorry scoobs....21 and 06 were the only lucky numbers. You had to camp out over night to get them :D ;)

Originally posted by DrSuga:
Yes..I have had a lot of interviews...only a few are rolling though..and from those I was waitlisted
I have a friend who applied to 33 schools and had competitive stats (3.7, 38Mcat). He interviewed at a TON of schools early on (Sept, Oct) and was waitlisted everywhere. He only got off the waitlist at two schools, neither of which were his top choices. My premed advisor is convinced that he applied to too many schools, so most adcoms thought he was insincere about attending their school...i dont think she knew that amcas doesnt release the list of schools, but i think she was trying to propose some explanation for why this happened.•

$HIT...if this is the case then I am completely screwed! B/c I applied to so many schools and even with a good amount of interviews I could still be f'ed........argh........Do you know how he came off in his interviews?

I just interviewed at mt. sinai and I loved it! Even though it is ranked much lower than some other schools on my list....I would go there in a second! Since they are rolling I am really hoping to hear from them soon! :)

I had 7 interviews from October to April. In May I was on 6 waitlists and was very frusturated. I started to reapply, and just as I was about to send out my new AMCAS I got the call from SLU in mid-July. I got a second call the next day from Tufts, where I am now a happy M'05. Tufts and SLU were my second and third choices, respectively, and I was extremely happy to get into both of them. So fear not Scooby, your stats are better than mine were so you should get in much earlier than I did. I didn't go to a school anywhere near the caliber of Cal for undergrad either, and I was not disadvantaged, rich with family connections, or a URM.

Did you apply at Michigan? Are you waiting for their reply? How long does it take for them to reply after an interview?

I had a friend who got rejected from all schools the first time. I don't know his stats though I know he had a good GPA and lab experience (not sure about the MCAT). So he took that year to do more research and reapplied. On the second time around he got accepted only at SUNY BUffalo and was waitlisted at Mount Sinai. SOmething like a week before he was supposed to move upstate, he was contacted by Mt. Sinai and told that he was in. That's where he is now and he absolutely loves it there (he's a second-year now)

Scooby - how are your interview skills? Maybe your interviews are whats bringing on the waitlists. Just a thought and don't take it personally, some people are just more natural when it comes to this sort of thing.

They have gotten much better lately..I was much too stiff and nervous at the first couple..which are the ones I have been waitlisted at...That's prolly my main issues...I also don't like to BS such as my weaknesses are "I work too hard" and crap like that..I am honest..guess I'll have to work on that...

I also got into weird situations with both interviewers at these schools...such that I accidently made one of them feel weird and his racism became evident as he stumbled over his words to figure out what to say....and then I took another one where I shouldn't have. Other than that, I've got charisma..so I can pull most stuff off....I know I am not a "bad" interviewer...I am pretty good with talking to people and usually come off pretty good...only sometimes I might come off too stiff if I am not relaxed...I guess we'll have to wait and see....

Damn you :)
haha

you have made me friggin paranoid about everything now! I am second guessing my speaking and my whole app now...It's a damn good thing i don't smoke weed or I would be even more paranoid right about now!

Hey scooby, at least you are being yourself which is more than some people can say for themselves. I think a lot of interviewers have the mentality when they ask certain questions that there isn't a wrong or right answer. Let us all know when you are accepted. :cool: