Share your most absurd gunner/crybaby stories!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Brian Pavlovitz said:
Not that I'm against asking questions, of course. But, isn't funny when it's ALWAYS the same person?
But if they didn't ask so many questions, how could you play gunner bingo?

Members don't see this ad.

carrigallen said:
personally, i think our class has its share of absurd crybabies. The kind of people who nothing is ever right for - either the lecture room is too cold or too hot, the syllabus is too detailed or not enough. The lecture is too short or too long, etc. These people are literally never satisfied.

Add to that, the group whose complaints are inversely correlated to their exam scores. These are the type who challenge fair questions they get wrong, and (worse) try to discourage classmates from challenging the bad questions they get right!

Most of the complaints are projection - our feelings of stress are projected outward into whining about lecture. A feeling of inferiority about an exam score turns into a inferiorly written test, an inferior professor, an inferior course.

There's nothing wrong with being a whiner/crybaby really, but it is important to recognize when you projecting or under stress.
I would be all about messin' with the thermostat... just for fun :)

japhy said:
i was blown away when i heard kids at my school could do this...

in the class below mine, which in the first few weeks of med school had already gained the reputation for being a bunch of whiners and lameasses, several students passed around a petition to kick one of their classmates out of med school. their rationale was this guy was somewhat introverted, didn't hang out much with anybody, and lacked social skills. they claimed to be doing this FOR HIS OWN GOOD, because obviously he was unfit and would make a horrible doctor. not only did they pass this petition around during class, they turned it in to the dean's office.

wtf! these people are arrogant and insane.
and people like this should be subject to a "King of the Ring"-type battle. I say lock em in the golf cart garage, behind the chain link fence, and don't let 'em out till there is one left standing (ahh, the days of being a young caddy scared to death of the honors caddies)

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on this thread, I'd say you have some good material for a reality show.

you guys ever consider the fact that some of the gunners might have asperger's syndrome????? it's not that they intentionally are obnoxious, it's just they have an intrinsic flaw where they are not attuned to the unwritten rules of social engagement and reciprocity.

this isnt really much of a story but what someone had said to me:

after looking at the final grades, i saw my grade and was content with the A. everyone received an A in the class (14students total in the class)

For myself, i was just happy i got the A and for me, that was the end of THAT painful chapter in my collegiate career. However, another person i know, looked at the scores and I just said "well if this is alphabetical, dont worry, you got the A". Her reply was:

"well i want to know if i got the HIGHEST A"

i just looked at her and kept my mouth shut. so that is my gunner story

Al Pacino said:
you guys ever consider the fact that some of the gunners might have asperger's syndrome????? it's not that they intentionally are obnoxious, it's just they have an intrinsic flaw where they are not attuned to the unwritten rules of social engagement and reciprocity.

.....someone read today's NYTimes....

The best thing about gunners is that, typically, in addition to outcompeting the rest of the class on exams, they want to hold every possible office/position of power imaginable, and many of those offices, like student council or officers in interest groups are voted on by the students. Once a gunner has been exposed for his/her true self, NOBODY in the class (albeit a few other gunners) will give them the power they crave, and thus, it becomes a popularity contest in which the gunners are shut out of committees and student council etc etc. A bit childish? Yes, but very fun! :)

I don't know about that, but I can say I know what the cure is for that crap, an old fashioned beat down. I remember when I was in the Navy, people would accidentally fall or bump their head. Yes, I was even one of them and learned my lesson quick.

Al Pacino said:

Most people who would be considered "gunners" don't have a problem interacting with people. If they had something pervasive like in Asperger's I think most would have trouble getting into med school in the first place. They're just really perfectionistic. It's a personality trait, not a disorder (unless you want to call it OCPD or something).

If you bitch and moan and move heaven and earth to challenge one question on a two hundred question exam which will change your 97.5 to a 98.0 then you, my friend, are a gunner. No two ways about it. And people do this all the time.

Now, I am as willing as anybody to take the extra points which result from a well run challenge commitee but it has been my experience that when you combine the gains with the losses challenges are generally a wash for me.