Share your practice MCAT score vs actual MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonight I decided to try a new KAPLAN practice MCAT since I haven't taken one in about 6 months. My results were 11PS, 11VR, 13 BS. I was surprised I did so well but at the same time I'm skeptical as if I could do this good on the actual test. Do you guys generally feel you score a few points higher on the practice ones? Sorry if this is asked all the time

Members don't see this ad.

Tonight I decided to try a new KAPLAN practice MCAT since I haven't taken one in about 6 months. My results were 11PS, 11VR, 13 BS. I was surprised I did so well but at the same time I'm skeptical as if I could do this good on the actual test. Do you guys generally feel you score a few points higher on the practice ones? Sorry if this is asked all the time

I was averaging balanced 33 on practice tests (Kaplan and AAMC) and got a 31 on Test Day. I think a lot of people experienced a variance of +/- 2 points from their practice scores.

I don't remember my Kaplan scores from last year, but they were definitely higher than my actual score when I took it last August. I think they design them to be slightly easier than the actual MCAT to boost your confidence because a big part of the MCAT is keeping your wits about you on test day: if you think you did pretty well in the practice tests then you'll feel more relaxed when taking the real thing. I thought the AAMC tests were much better and more representative with similar scoring.

I benefitted more from NOT using their materials the second time around, though.

I took Kaplan practice tests until 2 weeks before the test, when I switched to the official AAMC practice tests.

Kaplan practice tests: 38-40
AAMC practice tests: 31-33
Actual MCAT: 32R

Because of the Kaplan tests, I didn't study anything, and didn't pay much attention to the Kaplan classes either. Perfectly happy with the 32 though.

Members don't see this ad :)
My test scores fluctuated depending on whether I liked the material in the passages... They averaged around 32 but I got 35 on the real one because the whole bio section was micro/molecular biology, which is basically my major!:D

This thread should be moved to the MCAT thread, because you will get more responses there. Also this thread has been established many times in the MCAT section of SDN.

I took Kaplan and my average test score was about a 36, with a high of 40-42 I think? My actual score was a 35. The last few tests are really challenging and excellent practice, try to take em if you get a chance. If you do well on them, it will be a huge confidence boost.

kaplan scores: 24-26
aamc practice tests: 26-28
actual mcat: 28 and 31

what can i say, i do better under pressure...

my actual mcat was actually 1 point higher than i was getting on the practice kaplan tests and 2 points higher than my highest amcas practice test

Practice 09ps 09bs 11vr

Real 07ps 10bs 13 vr

I have no idea why...I must have been real nervous in the beginning

KAPLAN diagnostic: 7-7-5 (Bio/Phys/Verb)
K. Test 1: 10-10-8 (Bio/Phys/Verb)
K. Test 2: 11-10-9 (Bio/Phys/Verb)
K. Test 3: 12-12-10 (Bio/Phys/Verb)
K. Test 4: 13-12-9 (Bio/Phys/Verb)
AAMC Test 1: 13-13-11 (Bio/Phys/Verb)

Drumroll....
Actual: 12-12-10 (Bio/Phys/Verb)

Moral of the story...
Take a lot of tests and don't let your KAPLAN diagnostic scare you. STUDY HARD/TAKE TESTS and PRACTICE SECTIONS

aamc 03 - 07/13/2007 - 7/9/7 - 23
aamc 08 - 11/21/2007 - 8/8/10 - 26
aamc 04 - 01/10/2008 - 10/11/12 - 33
aamc 05 - 01/15/2008 - 13/11/11 - 35
aamc 06 - 01/17/2008 - 11/11/12 - 34
aamc 07 - 01/19/2008 - 13/11/12 - 36
aamc 10 - 01/21/2008 - 12/9/13 - 34
aamc 09 - 01/23/2008 - 11/11/9 - 31

actual 1/25/2008 - 10/10/12 - 32

Last edited:
Kaplan Diagnostic: 21

Kaplan and AAMC Practice Tests (a bunch of them): avg 32, best 33

Actual: 32

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you talking about the Kaplan diagnostic test, or a different Kaplan test?

You shouldn't judge your progress based on Kaplan scores. They arent very good predictors. The ones you should be taking to judge your progress are the AAMC tests.

You shouldn't judge your progress based on Kaplan scores. They arent very good predictors. The ones you should be taking to judge your progress are the AAMC tests.

The one I took 6 months ago was AAMC and I got a 33, so good to know it is in the ball park. Taking a new AAMC at the end of xmas break though to see

Also I forgot to mention that I have not had physics 2 and was very rusty on my Ochem. I bombed a physics passage on circuits but dominated all the other stuff...and on the BS section I got almost everything except 5 ochem questions.

I was taking this as a diagnostic almost since I haven't mastered all the material yet...hopefully I can get a REAL 35 come test day. 7 months to go!

does kaplan really overestimate your score like that?
Sure, the curves are easier, but I assumed that's because the material is that much harder...

did anyone actually measure up to their kaplan scores?

I did, I was getting 33 - 36 on all of my practice tests, and I got a 35 on test day.

The one I took 6 months ago was AAMC and I got a 33, so good to know it is in the ball park. Taking a new AAMC at the end of xmas break though to see

Its best to get a range. AAMC is very good at predicting where your score will fall. Its kinda risky just to base it on a few tests. So, if you can, take as many of the AAMC tests as possible and what most people find that if their range of scores was say 30-33, they scored somewhere in between. Now, obviously if the span of time between your first and last test is like 2 months, andyouve learned a significant amount between then, you can probabl count on scoring towards similar to your last few tests. I think my lowest AAMC score was a 23, but by the end i was consistently scoring 27 and on the real deal I scored a 28. I took a few Kaplan tests just for practice (not to use the score to gauge proress) and I scored way better than any AAMC, like a 33 and a 34. I knew that was BS cuz i hadnt come anywhere near that on any other test, and i was missing a crap load of questions.

does kaplan really overestimate your score like that?
Sure, the curves are easier, but I assumed that's because the material is that much harder...

did anyone actually measure up to their kaplan scores?

You will find people tha tmeasured up to their scores, but honestly they ARE NOT good predictors. There are many threads that ask people to compare their kaplan scores and AAMC scores with their real scores. The AAMC are by far the best predictors. The general consensus is that you should take the AAMC under siilar conditions and use your scores to gauge your progress. The kaplan tests are good just for the sake of having practice questions, but when it comes to your score, it should probably be ignored. If your range of AAMC is 24-27 and then you score a 34 on one of the Kaplan tests, dont fool yourself into thinking that you are gonna score a 34 on the real test.

After about all my content review my kaplan scores were 38-39

I took AAMC tests 6, 7, 8 and 10, scores were 38-39 as well, with a 32 in AAMC 8 (i dont know what happened)

Real thing was a 38 (but the balance was totally different)

Practice Tests, in order:
AAMC 3: 32
AAMC 4: 38
AAMC 5: 35
AAMC 10: 36
AAMC 9: 35

average: 35.2

Actual on 4/17/2010 MCAT: 33R

Even though my real score was lower than my average practice score, I'm happy with it, given how much harder the actual test felt relative to the practice tests.

Kaplan diagnostic: 24

Kaplan FLs: 24-38 (my highest Kaplan FL was taken a LONG while before my real MCAT and thus cannot be considered an accurate predictor of a real MCAT score).

AAMC practice tests: 24-36

Real MCAT: 38.

Kaplan diagnostic: 23
AAMC diagnostic: 25
AAMC practice tests: 27-29

Real MCAT: 32S

I'm very happy, considering I only studied for 3 weeks and was performing poorly on practice tests

Kaplan diagnostic: 23
AAMC diagnostic: 25
AAMC practice tests: 27-29

Real MCAT: 32S

I'm very happy, considering I only studied for 3 weeks and was performing poorly on practice tests

That's the stuff dreams are made of... lol

Yeah, it was quite a shock when I got my score... :)

Do you think it was because you were more in the mind-set for the exam or just coincedence? I've been getting 27s for the last 3 exams. I took 8 and 9, after still getting 8-9s in the sections I took 3 days off and hardcore studied 12+ hrs/day. Took PS of AMCAS 10 today and still got a 9. It's so discourgaging. I know the equations and material but I get tripped up in second guessing answers and either looking to much into the passage rather than my instinctual answer or vice versa, it's so frustrating!

Do you think it was because you were more in the mind-set for the exam or just coincedence?

Definitely because I was in the mindset for the exam. I do much better under pressure, and simply couldn't simulate actually taking a test during my practice ones. Knowing it didn't count affected my scores for sure...

Can people who just got their scores (from the May exams) respond to this thread?

...I want to know if the AAMC practice tests are actually good indicators

Hope so:xf:..taking my exam July 16th..

Thanksssss

AAMC avg.: 30.5 (low 26, high 34)
Real thing:32

In my opinion, the AAMC practice exams are not representative in terms of difficulty (easier than the real thing), but are representative of your score, due to a more lenient curve on the real thing.

Just my $0.02. Good Luck!

Great thread! For those of you who wouldn't mind saying, how'd you feel after you left the MCAT?

I'd been scoring around an average of 34 on my AAMCs (low of 31, high of 36) and I felt very confident with the material, but I walked out of my test feeling like i BOMBED it, which I never felt with the practice tests.

Great thread! For those of you who wouldn't mind saying, how'd you feel after you left the MCAT?

I'd been scoring around an average of 34 on my AAMCs (low of 31, high of 36) and I felt very confident with the material, but I walked out of my test feeling like i BOMBED it, which I never felt with the practice tests.

yeah my last AAMCs were 30-33 and I walked out of there and was a basketcase for 2 hours because i guessed on every other question and expected low twenties or even teens. i ended up with a 31. so if you're nervous, just hang in there and chances are you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Relieved and nervous.

AAMC3: 33
AAMC10: 35

5/22 MCAT: 35

Coming out of the exam I felt positively awful. Took me over a week to calm down. Picked my performance on BS to shreds, ended up with a 14 on it.

Score for 21 May MCAT:
37P (VR 11, PS 12, BS 14)

Practice tests:
AAMC 3: (9 May) 30 (VR 10, PS 11, BS 9)
AAMC 10: (12 May) 31 (VR 10, PS 11, BS 10)
AAMC 9: (16 May) 33 (VR 11, PS 11, BS 11)
AAMC 8: (19 May) 33 (VR 10, PS 12, BS 11)

aamc: 39P

May 22 MCAT: 41Q

Woot!

If you're gonna take the time to lie you really should put in enough effort to realize that you don't get essay grades on practice tests. Also in the future put a number from 3-10 next to aamc, maybe somebody will believe you.

You can get essay grades on AAMCs. They're not graded by AAMC, but when I took them via the TPR website, I had my essays graded by TPR people.

Last 4 AAMC Tests were 37, 36, 38, 35...overall avg was around 34-35 but I wasn't done studying when I was taking those first ones.

Actual: 39Q (13PS, 12VR, 14BS)

I expected to get 13, 11, 11. Didn't feel great about BS but ended up getting my highest score ever lol.

Scored highest score ever on each individual section on the real deal. Clutch.

Thanks guys! This is all so encouraging. I got a 24 on my Kaplan Diagnostic test (7-PS/6-BS/11-VR) and I was absolutely devastated and thought I was dunfer. I still got two months left and I haven't taken my first FL since then but I'm approaching it in my syllabus. Should be exciting!

Lol ok truth police. I took the tpr class and they did give me a letter grade for my essays. One thing I was worried about going in is that I only completed both essays on one of the practice tests I took. Luckily that's that's not subject that takes a lot of practice to get a decent score on. I followed my tpr instructors advice and was liberal in quoting "sources". I think having specific examples in the essays helps a lot, whether they are fabricated or not.

If you're gonna take the time to lie you really should put in enough effort to realize that you don't get essay grades on practice tests. Also in the future put a number from 3-10 next to aamc, maybe somebody will believe you.

I just got my score back and thought I should share since this tread has brought a lot of comfort in the last month.

I took the Jan. MCAT after 3 months of studying by myself and got a 29O (9PS/9VR/11BS). A couple weeks before the test, I took 2 Kaplan tests (I don't remember which ones) and got a 24 and a 27.

My Kaplan scores didn't exactly give me a good feeling about my upcoming MCAT, so I signed up for TPR class that would start a week before my Jan MCAT. As part of my study plan, I took a mock test every 1-2 weeks, and then one test every other day for the week of my actual MCAT. My scores were...

TPR#1: 23 (6PS 7V 10BS) <--- TPR's 1st diagnostic (I took this test few days before my actual January test)
TPR#2: 20 (5 6 9) <--- 2 weeks after start of TPR course
TPR#3: 26 (7 10 9) <--- 2 weeks later
TPR#4: 23 (6 8 9) <--- 1 week later
AAMC5: 29 (10 10 9) <--- 4 weeks later
AAMC6: 29 (9 8 12) <--- 1 week later
TPR#5: 27 (7 7 13) <--- 2 weeks later
AAMC7: 32 (10 11 11) <--- 3 weeks later
AAMC8: 29 (9 10 10) <--- 2 days later
AAMC9: 31 (10 9 12) <--- next day
AAMC10: 31 (10 10 11) <--- 2 days later

Actual MCAT 2 days later... 33O (11/9/13).

My opinion is that TPR tests aren't really good predictors, but they are good practice. After I walked out of my May MCAT, I thought the PS section felt about the same as practice AAMCs, verbal was longer and harder, and BS was WAY harder. I didn't expect to get anything more than a 30.

As it turns out, AAMC scores are pretty good predictors, and the curve on the actual MCAT can be really generous. Never in my dreams did I think I was going to get the score that I did. So, don't give up hope people! :thumbup::)

when you guys get your scores for the MCAT do they just tell you the scaled score or do they actually say 39/52 or 45/52 PS or BS?