This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EquusObsessed

C/O 2023
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't see a thread like this in the search, I figured it would be useful to have a thread where everyone can post their advice, experiences, tips, do's and don'ts for finding veterinary experience and animal experience. I know that personally, I came into this vet-med thing a bit late (middle of the summer before sophomore year, and live in an area that is terrible for experience. There's lots of small animal vets but not much else, and I know for me I don't have time to work AND volunteer to get enough hours, and am currently looking for outside the box jobs that cross over between animal experience and actual income (because we have to PAY for vet school at some point, not to mention living expenses etc etc.) I've been scrambling for hours as it is, I think I'm hovering around 750 if I combine my small animal clinic shadowing time and my time spent working at a barn this past fall. If I went back in and added the time I cared for my horses (especially treating injuries, rehabbing horses, and giving medications) it would be a lot more but I'm not sure how "correct" it is to use that as experience. So here's my short list of suggestions/ideas for experiences for others that I've picked up during my frantic searching:

-barn help/farm hand
-bird rescue
-dog walking
-species-specific sanctuaries: when I looked up "wildlife rehab" or "rescues" I either got nothing, or a million things. When I looked up "hawk sanctuary" and "wolf sanctuary" I actually found some really cool places that were actually within driving distance.
-animal rehab facilities, such as canine rehab, equine rehab, and so on

Please add to the list, obviously the same things won't be available in different areas but it might help people get started and give them something to look into at least!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Equine Experience: In high school, I volunteered at a riding stable and they paid me in riding lessons. I joined the equestrian team in high school and this was the barn they rode at, but my friend and I called to find out if we could volunteer and they took us right away. My approach - just call and ask! My state has an equine facility for human rehab/therapy, and they have a volunteer form that you just fill out. Also, my state apparently has a pony therapy team that takes trained therapy ponies to nursing homes, hospitals, and schools... also volunteer based and all you have to do is fill out an application.
  • Small Animal Experience: This was seriously the hardest for me to obtain. My failed attempts - calling and asking for job openings, calling and asking for shadowing, calling and asking to speak to a doctor (this did NOT go over well), physically going to the practice and asking to speak to the doctor (also did not go over well at all; the receptionist was very mean to me after I did this), going to the practice and asking to fill out a job application, filling out job applications online. It took me 3 years of filling out applications online until 2 practices wanted to hire me, and by this point I had a lot of experience in other areas. My approach - fill out a job application at a practice that is willing to hire untrained people or willing to help you grow and learn about the profession. You could also try shadowing at a willing practice for a certain period of time and see where that takes you. Also, I worked at PetSmart in the grooming salon and put this as small animal experience. It helped me with learning how to talk to clients and dog handling. I filled out an application online and then interviewed at the store. I volunteered at an animal shelter too, and they had volunteer positions for their spay/neuter clinic, so that's another option. This involved... filling out an application!!
  • Large Animal Experience: My adviser is a lab animal vet and got me a job taking care of research animals (cows, pigs, sheep, rabbits). My approach - I networked.
  • Exotic Experience: My family was friends with a Brazilian primatologist and I texted her one day to see if I could come visit and volunteer with the wildlife there. She set everything up. I got to go to the Atlantic rainforest and research endangered monkeys, and I volunteered at a wildlife sanctuary for animals in the illegal pet trade (birds, monkeys, anteaters, armadillos, turtles, alligators, etc!). My approach - again, networking. But for those who don't know anyone like I did, there are wildlife sanctuaries in almost every state that take volunteers. Mine has a raptor rehab program, and the vet I currently work for just so happened to donate her veterinary services to the birds, so I have avian experience from a small animal clinic as well. My state also has a general wildlife sanctuary that sees pretty much any wild animal in the state. They rescue a lot of squirrels, opossums, raccoons, etc. and they take volunteers. All you have to do is sign up.
Overall advice: whenever you fill out an application and send it in, CALL A FEW DAYS AFTER TO CONFIRM!! I actually interviewed and got the job at PetSmart, and they never contacted me again for about 3 weeks... I called them and they said something messed up with the paperwork but that I could start the very next day. ALWAYS CALL!!

Reactions: 3 users
@Emmy Senpai that's crazy that you had such a hard time getting SA experience! I live in a very urban part of the city and for me, large animal experience was impossible to find (I barely had any at all!). But for small animal, I printed off 10 copies of my resume on resume paper, dressed up in a suit, and left with the intention of going to every vet clinic until I found one that would hire me. :laugh:

The first one I went to was the vet clinic that I take all of my animals to. I specified that I was a freshman in college wanting to go to veterinary school, and if there was any way to get hours from them. I had to do a good amount of camping in the lobby (I think I waited an hour and a half) to wait until the office manager came back, and he hired me then and there!

I wasn't expecting to actually get paid, but I did and I'm so glad I worked there! (Work there in the last two summers. I started at 15 hours a week, through showing impeccable dedication and the fact that I get **** done, over time they bumped me up more and more until I was working practically 39.999 hours a week (still part time so they didn't want me going over) ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
People should definitely not do it how I did lol

Thankfully my unconventional approach to job hunting paid off and I've had an awesome job at an SA clinic for the last several years. I also love the vet I work for and she's become a wonderful mentor and friend.

Reactions: 2 users
@Emmy Senpai that's crazy that you had such a hard time getting SA experience! I live in a very urban part of the city and for me, large animal experience was impossible to find (I barely had any at all!). But for small animal, I printed off 10 copies of my resume on resume paper, dressed up in a suit, and left with the intention of going to every vet clinic until I found one that would hire me. :laugh:

I did that too!!!! I seriously went to every single vet clinic in town and gave them my resume and filled out a job application. I went to my family vet first and she said I would be a liability for her. But here's the worse experience I had: I went to a clinic like you did, and handed them my resume. Then, the receptionist gave me this math quiz right there. I was taking calculus at the time so it's not like I was bad at math. This test was the HARDEST I have ever taken. She expected me to do it without a calculator because she said "if the power goes out we can't use calculators" :eyebrow: so I tell her I can't do it and then she proceeds to belittle me about my subpar math skills. Then she quizzes me about PLANTS and I said I didn't know the answers and she goes "I knew you wouldn't know."
...it took me a good long time before I started applying to small animal clinics again.

I highly recommend going through volunteer programs at animal shelters, animal control, rescues, zoos, aquariums, wildlife clinics, etc. You may have to work your way up from cleaning and basic animal care (animal experience is important too!), but often you can eventually work with a vet and the connections you'll make can be invaluable.

I tried cold-calling/emailing a few places but was unsuccessful. All my experience was through specific volunteer programs I applied for or through connections.

I did that too!!!! I seriously went to every single vet clinic in town and gave them my resume and filled out a job application. I went to my family vet first and she said I would be a liability for her. But here's the worse experience I had: I went to a clinic like you did, and handed them my resume. Then, the receptionist gave me this math quiz right there. I was taking calculus at the time so it's not like I was bad at math. This test was the HARDEST I have ever taken. She expected me to do it without a calculator because she said "if the power goes out we can't use calculators" :eyebrow: so I tell her I can't do it and then she proceeds to belittle me about my subpar math skills. Then she quizzes me about PLANTS and I said I didn't know the answers and she goes "I knew you wouldn't know."
...it took me a good long time before I started applying to small animal clinics again.
WHAT? That's absurd. I mean. We really don't hire as anything above a kennel tech unless you come with tech experience, but still. If the power goes out you can't use calculators- oh except for the one on your cell phone in your pocket, or the various calculators around the clinic. That's pretty messed up.

Come to Texas! Our clinic doesn't quiz you on math skills or the ability to know plants!

Sounds like you dodged a major bullet!

@EquusObsessed Something else to think about is getting LORs. For example at one shelter where I volunteer, I'm directly working with vets one-on-one for lots of hours. Got a great LOR from that. Another shelter had vets who volunteer for a few hours here and there and then hired someone full-time who technically supervises me, but I rarely see her. They both count as vet experience on VMCAS and have both been very personally valuable, but the second one would not help in terms of LORs.

WHAT? That's absurd. I mean. We really don't hire as anything above a kennel tech unless you come with tech experience, but still. If the power goes out you can't use calculators- oh except for the one on your cell phone in your pocket, or the various calculators around the clinic. That's pretty messed up.

Come to Texas! Our clinic doesn't quiz you on math skills or the ability to know plants!

It's the only interview I've ever had that was like that. Literally no one else that I know was quizzed about math or plants in ANY basic job interview!! I think she asked about plants because they had a lot of them around the clinic... if it was my job to take care of them, all I would have to do is water them... but anyway, part of me wants to send her an email after graduation saying that I still became a doctor, but I'll be the better person and leave it be :cool:

Advice for anyone reading this: run away from clinics that require math or plant expertise!

It's the only interview I've ever had that was like that. Literally no one else that I know was quizzed about math or plants in ANY basic job interview!! I think she asked about plants because they had a lot of them around the clinic... if it was my job to take care of them, all I would have to do is water them... but anyway, part of me wants to send her an email after graduation saying that I still became a doctor, but I'll be the better person and leave it be :cool:

Advice for anyone reading this: run away from clinics that require math or plant expertise!
Nope nope nope. Be the better person. As much as I like fire and chaos, I gotta warn against burning bridges. Vet med is such a close and small field, I'd be worried that it'd hurt you in the long run.

You're fabulous and one day they will be upset that they turned you down.

rorty.gif

Nope nope nope. Be the better person. As much as I like fire and chaos, I gotta warn against burning bridges. Vet med is such a close and small field, I'd be worried that it'd hurt you in the long run.

You're fabulous and one day they will be upset that they turned you down.

rorty.gif
I agree! She probably isn't even working there anymore, plus sending her a note would just be unprofessional. And even if I still remember the bad experience, she'd probably be like "who is this person?"

Also, borrowing that gif :laugh:

I agree! She probably isn't even working there anymore, plus sending her a note would just be unprofessional. And even if I still remember the bad experience, she'd probably be like "who is this person?"

Also, borrowing that gif :laugh:
I'm 99.9% sure I borrowed it from @SkiOtter so give her the gif credit. (Sorry Ski- I really wanted that one)

What. Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding in something on the SA experience/work front:

The vet clinics (in my area, anyway) get a ton of Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist applications. A lot of those applications come from people who have no vet experience, and want to get some. Even just having a little bit of shadowing experience can jump you up in the resume priority pile. Personal anecdote: I applied to a bunch of clinics for paid/volunteer positions with no success. Eventually I was able to organize a shadowing gig at one clinic for about 40 hours (was a one time thing that got extended for a couple extra weeks). That 40 hours of shadowing was directly responsible for my getting hired at the clinic I've been with for over a year now (they said as much in my interview). Take whatever you can get, it will help you with the larger goals.

The other thing I cannot stress enough is NETWORKING. Do it. You are at a clinic? Get to know and be on good terms with the vets even if you just make sure they know your name and like you. Do other vets come in to do ultrasounds or other procedures? Get to know those vets. Opportunities can arise from anywhere in ways you didnt expect, and you want to be able to take advantage of those possibilities.
More personal anecdotes: The clinic I work in has a vet come in to do more difficult surgeries and ultrasounds. I have assisted him once or twice while at work, and we got along quite well. I "cold call" emailed him asking if I could potentially shadow him at other clinics, and he agreed to take me to another one on a weekly basis. Since then he has gotten permission from quite a few clinics to have me come along, which allowed me to know and be on friendly terms with vets in a bunch of other clinics. That networking at other clinics actually led to another fantastic opportunity, plus I am in a good position to get work if I ever have to leave my current job. None of this would have happened if I hadn't gotten to know this vet and ask him to shadow. I also wouldn't have gotten the incredible mentorship he has given me.

Reactions: 4 users
I am lucky enough that after calling/visiting/emailing about a dozen clinics last spring, one of the small animal clinics by my house allowed me to come shadow... Basically however often I want to. I got nearly all of my hours so far from that- I was there nearly full time last spring/summer- I was shadowing 40-45 hours a week. I've tried to prod a few times and see if they have any job openings as they sometimes hire high school interns but I've been ignored or redirected each time. I don't want to come out and ask "do you have any jobs?" As I'm worried they might take offense and I could lose my shadowing opportunity. But unfortunately this summer I won't have time for shadowing more than once a week because I have to actually WORK somewhere so I can pay phone bills and car insurance so I can get to my classes next year:cryi:
I might try to call around some of the other clinics I didn't contact last year and see if they have ANY paid positions at all since I now can at least say I have experience in a clinic. I wasn't really allowed to do much- a few of the less strict techs taught me how to prep ear slides, hold animals, set up the IV fluids, how to clean and break down the surgery room and equipment, and how the anesthesiology machine works (I obviously wasn't responsible for actually doing anything but they taught me all the parts and how to set it up) along with other random stuff I picked up. I have contacted every equine vet in the area (six total) and only one said they allow shadow/ride alongs. And only in the spring/summer. Of course equine is what I want to go into so that's very frustrating!

Man that calculator comment kills me, what nonsense. Also "I knew you wouldn't know" like she has some sixth sense that tells her when people lack a large plant knowledge base?? Do you think the owners told her to do that stuff or is she a crazy receptionist that does that for fun? haha

One of the clinics I asked to shadow at had me fill out a job application (which I was totally unprepared for in terms of having references and addresses of previous non-vet jobs etc.). There was also a spelling test (multiple choice) and short answer questions like "What is euthanasia?". Needless to say, it was not what I was expecting.

like she has some sixth sense that tells her when people lack a large plant knowledge base??

Worst superhero ability ever.

I am lucky enough that after calling/visiting/emailing about a dozen clinics last spring, one of the small animal clinics by my house allowed me to come shadow... Basically however often I want to. I got nearly all of my hours so far from that- I was there nearly full time last spring/summer- I was shadowing 40-45 hours a week. I've tried to prod a few times and see if they have any job openings as they sometimes hire high school interns but I've been ignored or redirected each time. I don't want to come out and ask "do you have any jobs?" As I'm worried they might take offense and I could lose my shadowing opportunity.

I can't imagine why they might take offense. (As long as you don't frame it as "hey, I'm here anyway, might as well get paid for it"!) You don't need to prod. You can politely and directly ask about openings. If they don't have any currently, give them your resume and ask them to let you know if anything opens up.

Definitely apply elsewhere, too! You probably wouldn't be able to get hired as a vet tech or assistant, but look for jobs as a kennel attendant or animal caretaker.

Have you tried asking vets and techs at that clinic if they know of any LA or equine vets who might let you shadow?

I unfortunately have also experienced the struggle of being unable to land a paying clinic job. I do second the advice about shadowing--that at least got me noticed at a few places. (a lot has changed in the past year, now I have a year of formal vet tech education under my belt...but of course, I no longer need to seek a clinic position)

My tip: If available, get involved in your university's pre-vet club (and/or other animal-related organizations, such as the Wildlife Society, etc.). Groups like this should help you connect with guest speakers, relevant opportunities, volunteer events, sometimes even job openings. It's a great starting point for seeking vet/animal/general volunteer experience, and it's how I was first introduced to important wildlife rehab/exotics experiences which led to further opportunities down the line, like an internship.

Basically reiterating what everyone else said: network and email/call. The clinics in my area have long-term staff so it is hard finding any paid assisting positions. At first I called a few SA clinics around town asking if they were hiring part-time kennel assistants (not the best approach--show up in person ;)). Since that reached a dead end, I emailed a few clinics asking if they took shadows/volunteers. I had to write a letter of intent to an equine clinic, but I landed a few visits there and saw AI, vaccinations, embryo transfers, pregnancy checks, a TON of lameness evals/x-rays, a castration, a MRI, a stifle surgery, and befriended the techs enough that I helped hold several horses and assist with AM/PM treatments. This method also landed me a few visits to a larger SA/exotics/wildlife hospital. The doctors there were so amazing and kind! I got to assist with restraining, filling prescriptions, assisting the techs, and seeing a lot of neat critters (tegu, turtles, an owl, companion birds, etc) and procedures. The doctor that saw exotics and wildlife was so friendly and allowed to assist with a milknose snake euthanasia and mass removal, as well as involving me in looking at fecal slides on a tegu and box turtle. The clinic I got the majority of my experience was the country MA clinic I take my dogs to. I called them asking if they took volunteers--they said yes if the doctor likes you lol. So I showed up and basically never left :rofl:. I asked questions and was very willing to help with dirty cleaning, restraining, etc. so they took a liking to me. I got 2 LORs from this clinic, a lot of hours there after work (was everyday but now once a week), LOTS of hands-on opportunities (assisted with C-sections, vaccines, fecals, spays, neuters, etc.), and made some lifetime friends and mentors.

I would like to add to send thank-you cards to the doctors you shadowed part-time/a few days. I thanked them for their time, mentioned something genuine that I learned from that experience, and also something I admired about them (like how they took time explaining things to patients). I just think it is a nice gesture, and you never know when it could turn a vet's bad day into a better day. :)

Last edited:
Worst superhero ability ever.

I can't imagine why they might take offense. (As long as you don't frame it as "hey, I'm here anyway, might as well get paid for it"!) You don't need to prod. You can politely and directly ask about openings. If they don't have any currently, give them your resume and ask them to let you know if anything opens up.

Definitely apply elsewhere, too! You probably wouldn't be able to get hired as a vet tech or assistant, but look for jobs as a kennel attendant or animal caretaker.

Have you tried asking vets and techs at that clinic if they know of any LA or equine vets who might let you shadow?

I asked about LA vets and most of the ones recommended to me said no to shadowing. I finally found one equine vet I plan to contact this week- my sister does figure skating and one week when I gave her a ride to the ice rink and was chatting with one of the coaches she heard I was prevet and it turns out a close friend of hers is an equine vet. So I got my foot in the door that way- through the randomest networking ever! I do have a few animal related jobs to apply to later this week, hopefully one of them works out.
Also- On the topic of crazy receptionists... I once had a receptionist get very annoyed that I politely inquired about shadowing opportunities. She then said she would ask the vet later, told me to write down my name and number on a paper, and then proceeded to throw the paper away in front of me as I was leaving. Passive aggressive much?

Last edited:
I asked about LA vets and most of the ones recommended to me said no to shadowing. I finally found one equine vet I plan to contact this week- my sister does figure skating and one week when I gave her a ride to the ice rink and was chatting with one of the coaches she heard I was prevet and it turns out a close friend of hers is an equine vet. So I got my foot in the door that way- through the randomest networking ever! I do have a few animal related jobs to apply to later this week, hopefully one of them works out.
Also- On the topic of crazy receptionists... I once had a receptionist get very annoyed that I politely inquired about shadowing opportunities. She then said she would ask the vet later, told me to write down my name and number on a paper, and then proceeded to throw the paper away in front of me as I was leaving. Passive aggressive much?

I had one receptionist do that to me as well. When I'm a veterinarian, I'll remember how hard it was for me to get a job in the field and at least give those who want to learn a chance at my clinic.

I've got about 1600 documented LA hours from being a working student at a nearby farm the last year and a half, but obviously I need more than just LA. I'm starting the search for something paid this summer though the chances are looking slim. It's hard to get into the SA clinics around here as it seems to be most places with a paid position. Probably going to need to find a paid job outside of a clinic and then look into volunteering. I definitely need to get some more variety under my belt so that's the goal for this summer!

I was in contact with this really cool lady last summer that ran a Pet Ambulance, called VetExpress, she transported animals to and from different clinics or picked up animals from people's homes that they couldn't take themselves. It was a really cool experience to do a ride along with her.

What happened to me was truly a unique event... never heard of anyone that's been given a math OR plant quiz before being hired as a kennel assistant.

While I've never been asked about plants before, I have completed multiple applications in the central Ohio area that included math skills. Different clinics but essentially the same test too, like there's some kind of horrible PDF floating around that managers picked up at a seminar or something.

I don't have much advice to bring on the experience side of things as my only experience has been at one SA clinic. I applied for a part time kennel job and have slowly worked my way up from there. I do a lot of assisting and I'm pretty much next in line for a full time nursing(unregistered tech) job once one opens up. It's been awesome because not only am I getting paid, I get to see how the clinic runs from the bottom up and I get to sit around and ask the doctor questions even though most are super busy.

You do have to be persistent though. I kept asking them for a year if they were hiring or not. I tried contacting several other clinics and none ever got back to me. I also attempted to volunteer at a bird rehab place attached to a clinic and that treatment was pretty rough. I asked about volunteering, they said awesome, I gave them my hours, and then they replied months later saying they didn't need the help. Been a good eye opener for how some clinics handle their business.

I had one receptionist do that to me as well. When I'm a veterinarian, I'll remember how hard it was for me to get a job in the field and at least give those who want to learn a chance at my clinic.

Getting to see how things run overall and getting to think to myself what I would keep/change has been the best part about working at a vet clinic.

I don't have much advice to bring on the experience side of things as my only experience has been at one SA clinic. I applied for a part time kennel job and have slowly worked my way up from there. I do a lot of assisting and I'm pretty much next in line for a full time nursing(unregistered tech) job once one opens up. It's been awesome because not only am I getting paid, I get to see how the clinic runs from the bottom up and I get to sit around and ask the doctor questions even though most are super busy.

You do have to be persistent though. I kept asking them for a year if they were hiring or not. I tried contacting several other clinics and none ever got back to me. I also attempted to volunteer at a bird rehab place attached to a clinic and that treatment was pretty rough. I asked about volunteering, they said awesome, I gave them my hours, and then they replied months later saying they didn't need the help. Been a good eye opener for how some clinics handle their business.

Getting to see how things run overall and getting to think to myself what I would keep/change has been the best part about working at a vet clinic.

Definitely, this. I have LOVED looking at techniques, procedures, and protocols, and saying "I wonder if I could do that differently." While I haven't had much chance to shadow at different clinics I'm looking forwards to being able to compare practices and take a little from everywhere, every clinic, every tech I talk to, and every vet I shadow

HARASS! Ok not really, but kind of serious: look up the names of all your local veterinarians. Learn a little about their practice, where they went to school, etc. Draft up a resume, dress well, and spend the day going by and talking to every single office. Explain to the office manager or receptionist that you are interested in going to vet school and need x amount of hours. Talk to the veterinarian if you can. Thank them for their time, call them back in a few days, and of course if they say yes make it worth their while! If you are an equine person look up farriers or talk to your personal farrier and ride with them. If you like cattle, try and talk to the local auction or stockyards and see if they can set you up with the vet they use.
Google internships that work with veterinarians, but may not be for vets (KESMARC in KY comes to mind. I worked with them last summer).

It took lots of effort and man power, but sometimes you just have to keep after it just like you would for a job. Checking back in shows you are genuinely interested. Dressing well and bringing a resume with your animal experience shows you are professional. Look at opportunities to get your foot in the door with a vet by doing vet related things instead of just for/with a vet. Talk to the folks at the local feed store. The more people know you and know what you want to do, the more likely you are to find someone looking for free help/shadowing/teaching moments.

While I've never been asked about plants before, I have completed multiple applications in the central Ohio area that included math skills. Different clinics but essentially the same test too, like there's some kind of horrible PDF floating around that managers picked up at a seminar or something.

I had to do an online math test when I applied to PetSmart, but it wasn't anything like the clinic test and I actually got to use a calculator lol! Another thing to add to the list of things I want to do as a doctor: never implement that test in my clinic :laugh:

Pay attention to Facebook!
I just got a job with an equine vet for the next 7 summers if I want it! It came from a Facebook post an acquaintance made about an equine sports vet that travels needing a vet tech. I'm just getting my CVA and am going to college in the fall but decided to message the doctor to see if I could shadow him over the summer. He ended up graduating from where I will be attending college. He offered me a paying job for this summer to travel with him and learn about equine performance medicine, help with his horses, and learn from him. All this has fallen into place from a friend's Facebook post!

I already have 300 hours with a veterinary hospital dealing with small animals by taking my high school's Certified Veterinary Assistant program. I had to find my own vet to work with by calling around and taking my resume and interviewing. It helped that the office has experience with the school. Of course these hours were all unpaid.

I am looking for some advice. I go to school in the middle of nowhere (was not originally pursuing vet med). There are not really any clinics within reasonable driving distance. Currently, I do volunteer work at a low-cost spay and neuter clinic once a week, but the drive is over 2 hours round trip, and I worry about the mileage that it puts on my older car, as well as the cost of gas to get there. I love the place and the work is what I want to ultimately do some day, but it's almost too much to just get ~3 hours a week of experience. The unfortunate thing is that, through the week, the earliest I am done with class is 4 PM, and there is not a vet anywhere around that closes after 5. It is extremely discouraging, and I do not know what to do to try to get the hours of experience that I need. Anybody ever been in this type of situation?

Do you take classes in the summer? If not, I would bulk up on your vet experience then. Try to get a job as an assistant or receptionist and make an effort to get to know the vets and see if you can help out/observe and ask questions during your breaks or stay a couple hours after your shift ends. Often times school gets in the way of volunteering at clinics and most vet schools understand if you don't have time (or in your case access) to a clinic during the school year. Grades are a huge part of the admissions process, so especially if all that time spent driving is bringing your gpa down or wearing you out, just stop volunteering until you finish the semester. It means you might have to put in extra hours during the summer to bring up your experience, but over 2 hours of driving for 3 hours of experience isn't worth it imo.

I am looking for some advice. I go to school in the middle of nowhere (was not originally pursuing vet med). There are not really any clinics within reasonable driving distance. Currently, I do volunteer work at a low-cost spay and neuter clinic once a week, but the drive is over 2 hours round trip, and I worry about the mileage that it puts on my older car, as well as the cost of gas to get there. I love the place and the work is what I want to ultimately do some day, but it's almost too much to just get ~3 hours a week of experience. The unfortunate thing is that, through the week, the earliest I am done with class is 4 PM, and there is not a vet anywhere around that closes after 5. It is extremely discouraging, and I do not know what to do to try to get the hours of experience that I need. Anybody ever been in this type of situation?
I assume you only have school during the week. What about weekends? Since you will not be in school you can get a morning start on getting to the clinics.

Other options are getting experience in a non-vet setting. For example volunteering/working at a dairy farm, horse stable, a lab at your school (that uses animals), rescue/shelter, other research projects (some involve a veterinarian so depending on your role it could count as vet experience), bird banding (just because I love it and try to up-sell it to everyone ;) ), a poultry farm, swine farm, all the farms.

I do have just a couple hundred hours of SA clinic experience, but I didn't ever really get to develop a personal relationship with the vet. I do have a 400 hour internship this summer, but it is in exotic animal husbandry, so not vet hours. No clinics anywhere even close to me are open on weekends either. I feel like I'm such at such a disadvantage and it is just so discouraging. The nearest animal shelter is a couple towns over, and I never get to spend more than an hour or so there when I go; they simply have nothing for me to do. It doesn't help that my school is not equipped at all to help out pre-vet students, I don't have any real peers to talk about this kind of thing with, and I just have so much anxiety about every part of the admissions process that it interferes with my day-to-day life. So grateful for SDN!
That isn't okay, and is probably taking a good toll on your mental health. Is there a counselor or career counselor at your school you could talk with to reduce your anxiety?

Prior to last spring, the *only* time I was getting any experience hours was on breaks from school. Thanksgiving/Christmas/Spring break/Summer. Working in a clinic during my breaks netted me about 1200 hours to apply with (and I didn't work at the clinic most of last summer because of research). My whole point is, don't stress yourself out about getting experience during school. Start thinking about this summer and the opportunities that not taking classes can bring...

Some sort-of unrelated advice that you are certainly welcome to ignore (because honestly, what do I know)...in all of your posts you seem really stressed out about "all the things that are against you." Maybe start thinking about things from a different perspective? Instead of thinking "I'm at such a disadvantage because of X, X, and X," start thinking "okay, this is what I want. I'm not going to accept anything less. This is my situation. What do I have to do to change it and get where I want to be?"

Look, I know very well veterinary school admissions are stressful. And I did more than my fair share of unhealthy stressing. But changing HOW you are thinking about this whole process may just go a long way to helping you succeed. You gotta take care of yourself mentally, as well as physically, to get through all the damn hoops you gotta jump through (trust me, we all know how discouraging some of those hoops are!).

And for what it's worth, you may not have have a good pre-vet program to give you good info, but SDN has a lot of people who are more than willing to help in that regard.

Reactions: 5 users
I've been to the career services office. The best anyone can give me is googling admission requirements for vet school...as if I haven't spent dozens of hours scouring every corner of the internet by myself already. My university is simply not equipped to deal with or advise pre-vets, and I wish they had just been up-front about that to begin with. I wouldn't wish the environment that I am fighting so hard to succeed in on anyone else pursuing this extremely stressful dream.
I'm pretty sure she meant mental health counselors or someone to talk to not necessarily about how to get into vet school, but how to deal with the anxiety and stress you seem to be experiencing. The application process should not be negatively impacting your day to day life to the extent you're describing it. If you can't get a handle on this part of the process then once you start vet school I'd worry about managing to balance the much increased stress and anxiety in school.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

My anxiety comes from the fact that I had an extremely rough time my freshman year, and some loans were taken out in my name that I had no idea about. It caused me to fo into enough debt that my only option for vet school is my in-state school, which really only cares about cGPA. Anyone I try to talk about this in real life only makes me feel worse, and reaching out for help to anyone at my school gives me less and less hope. My own advisor told me that I might get a a
Shot at getting into Ross if I do a master's after I graduate next year. I've also been able to find out that placement in vet school for my school is pretty dreadful. School itself is not what is causing my anxiety. I'm handling 18 credit hours and 3 part-time jobs, along with volunteering, just fine. It's spending 5 years in undergrad, accumulating massive debt, and then never even getting my application considered that causes me such anxiety.
This isn't a judgment on you or your situation. Having a non biased mental health professional who's job is to help you with your anxiety (not tell you what you should be doing with your classes or career) to talk to may help. And massive debt and extensive credit hours of classes are par for the course in vet school, so finding a way to reduce that stress and anxiety beforehand will only help you have a better idea of how to handle it in the future. Just trying to help, mental health issues are rampant in this profession and whatever we can do to help each other succeed can only help the profession as a whole.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
@TryingReallyHardToGetIn

Unfortunately, I've got to agree with Kcough. If you are so anxious over the application process that you literally cannot think about anything else and it is impacting your daily life (especially since, if I have understood your posts correctly, you haven't even actually applied yet)... that isn't healthy and I suggest that you seriously try to get a handle on any mental health issues now. They will most likely only get worse in vet school unless you can get it under control. Trust me personally on this one; I had mental breakdowns regularly my first semester, so much so that my motivation to study and go to class was completely shot and I just barely escaped academic probation---thankfully, things have been improving drastically the past few months.

Vet school is a whole other world from undergrad and even the most mentally stable people struggle at times. I urge you, plead you, to get your anxiety figured out before starting. Mental illness and even suicidal ideation are massive issues in this profession and these problems start very early on.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Emmy Senpai that's insane!

Imagine if I quizzed my students, fellows and residents about PLANTS, PLANETS or ANIMALS on rounds?!

gardenia.jpg
saturn.jpg
duck.jpg

Some veterinarians who specialize in compassionate end-of-life care, as well as mobile in-home pet euthanasia, welcome pre-vet med students as shadows or as assistants.

If you do a google search and/or ask for names from local veterinary clinics, you can contact these types of veterinarians.

I agree with you 100%, though I think I may have exxagerated a bit when I said it impacted my daily life, but I definitely have thoughts all the time. I think that if a single person with any idea about the admissions process could tell me that I am not completely screwed and wasting my time, I would feel 10 times better. I've contacted the school and set up an appointment to meet with the admissions manager. The fact that there are so many unknowns is what really bothers me, and I hope to get all my questions answered and will hopefully be able to look at the situation in an entirely new way. Thanks for the support.
I'm going to agree with everyone else and suggest you talk to a counselor. ASAP. A mental health professional, not an admissions person, not a career person. A therapist. A shrink. Etc.

You have anxiety and it is impacting your daily life, to the point you're chronically asking for outside verification instead of trusting yourself. I know - I've been there, and I still do it, to some extent (and I've been in therapy for three years!). Getting that 'yes, it's possible' from an admissions manager will make it better...for about thirty seconds. Then a new series of worries will replace it. I honestly doubt this is the first time you've worried about something to this extent.

You also have the 'black and white' mentality that's pretty common in the anxious. If it's not X, it's Y. There's no in-between. But if there's anything I've learned, life isn't like that. There will always be unknowns. You're never going to know everything that will happen, no matter what. I'd also highly recommend some mindfulness practice. Life shouldn't be about worrying about the future, it should be living in the moment. I'd also recommend the book by Cheri Huber called "There's Nothing Wrong With You", which is good (minus some hippie bits).

You're probably right. I will look into getting my anxiety under control so that I can just focus on being successful!
It's not an easy path to walk! It took me a long time to accept what it was. But it's changing my life, now that I'm dealing with it and starting to get it under control. :) You're never going to have 100% good days - that's just part of being human. But working with a therapist, maybe trying meds - that will help get life to the point where it's manageable and you're not feeling like life is do-or-die every moment of every day.

You're probably right. I will look into getting my anxiety under control so that I can just focus on being successful!

Also just wanted to point out theres no harm in taking a gap year or several, you dont need to go straight into vet school! Get the experience after you graduate if its just not feasible due to your current situation. Im so glad I took a gap year!

I'm super late seeing this post, but I had a written portion for my interview at the clinic I worked at. Half of it was ethical/behavioral questions, and half of it was math questions like calculating drug dosages, or the amount of pills a patient would need for x amount of time if they get y pills per day. Also without a calculator. It wasn't too bad, but in retrospect it was weird because I was never expected to calculate things like that on the job, the vets would tell us what dosage of things to give or how many pills to count out. So math quizzes aren't totally out of the norm, but that explanation for why you couldn't use a calculator is bs, and the plant stuff makes no sense!

Also just wanted to point out theres no harm in taking a gap year or several, you dont need to go straight into vet school! Get the experience after you graduate if its just not feasible due to your current situation. Im so glad I took a gap year!

Gap years are good.

Sometimes the winding path is better even if it doesn't always feel that way. For me personally, I'm entering vet school at 30 with more academic experience, more professional experience, and more money in my savings than I could ever have had at 22/23. It's kind of nice.

You're totally right about that. My one and only concern is that doing that, I won't have the really great LORs that I know I could get from my u dergrad institution. Is this a consideration anyone else has ever had? Can I just keep asking them to resubmit the same letter every time I apply? Over years?

Unless you need a professor or school advisor, I wouldn't worry about that. You will forge new relationships with employers, coworkers, volunteer managers, etc. in your gap year(s). Plus, if there is someone on the academic side that you really like interacting with, you can still send e-mails and keep a rapport going. Some people are overly gracious and will continue writing you recommendations for as long as you keep asking.

I just have a couple professors that I now work for whom I feel could really vouch for my academic growth and ability, and i think that eould be really important after my dreadful freshman year grades. I have a really great personal relationship with them, and would love to have one of them write a letter for me. Guess I could just ask!

Before you graduate ask them if they would be willing to write you one later on. My friend did that and she plans on applying 3 years after undergrad. She also had a professor write one right before she graduated and she sent it to some website that saves it for her. It saves it such that she cannot read it and then she can use it when she goes on to apply. The other one gave her a personal email and told her to email her on that when she is ready for the letter.