1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Shelf Exam Percentile Scores

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Heavenly2008, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Heavenly2008

Medical Student
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the shelf exam percentile scores are for each shelf (esp IM, surg, FM, OB). My school does not give us our percentiles, but simply posts our 2 digit scaled score. I believe that NBME releases a scaled score and a percentile, but some schools choose not to release the percentile. Please correct me if I am wrong. Is there any standard where an 85 correlates to the 95th percentile or does it depend on the quarterly test groups? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

I think there are three important numbers as it relates to shelf exams.

First you have your raw which is the number of questions you answered correctly. Then you have the percentile, where the NBME tells you where you fall on the spectrum set by everybody who took the same test the previous year as determined by your raw score. And finally you have the scaled score based on the percentile that your school uses to grade you.

4. Bitsy3221

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I believe (but don't quote me on this) that your percentile varies based on when in the year you take it. An 85% correct may be a 99th percentile score if you take it in the beginning of the year, but that same 85% correct may only be an 88th percentile if you have that rotation last.