Shelf Exam Percentiles??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustang1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school just gives us a raw score for each of the shelf exams. Are the national percentiles/means for each of the NBME shelf exams published somewhere? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I would be curious for this as well. Is there some public domain that posts means for all year 3 shelf exams depending on when the test is taken?

I havent looked this up since I was a 3rd year but according the NBME website from a few years ago, the means tend to be in the 70s with an STD around 7. It changes based on the time of the year you take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
We recently took the computerized Microbiology shelf. For that exam they set the average score at 50 with a standard deviation of 10 points. So if you got a 60, you'd be at roughly the 84th percentile, 95th with a 70, etc. We did receive a "What does my score mean?" sheet with it; perhaps they have them for other exams?

Maybe ask the school for percentiles? Is there a reason they don't have them?

My school gave us raw and percentiles.. they told us the raw scores are meaningless :confused:

Search function is your friend.

The scaled score means nothing. If you read the fine print in nbme scores it does technically say that average is 70 with a SD of 7. If you keep reading you will see that the the score was scaled a couple decades ago.....so they are entirely irrelevant.

Ignore that number, the percentile is the only number that means anything.