shelf exam -- raw vs. percentile score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultane123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
roughly speaking.... do you know what a raw score translates to in terms of percentile? i'm curious specifically about peds.

60 raw = ? %ile?
65 raw =
80 raw =
90 raw =

thanks

u.

Members don't see this ad.

73 = roughly the average
SD = 8 (roughly)

ultane123 said:
roughly speaking.... do you know what a raw score translates to in terms of percentile? i'm curious specifically about peds.

60 raw = ? %ile?
65 raw =
80 raw =
90 raw =

thanks

u.
My school said that 83 was the 90th percentile.....email the secretary of your program, she'll be able to tell you about where you need to shoot. And contrary to what your friends will tell you, your raw score is NOT the number of ?s you got correct out of 100.

Members don't see this ad :)
bigfrank said:
My school said that 83 was the 90th percentile.....email the secretary of your program, she'll be able to tell you about where you need to shoot. And contrary to what your friends will tell you, your raw score is NOT the number of ?s you got correct out of 100.
NBME converts the avg to 70. SD is 8. Your school may adjust the #'s to meet their grading criteria. Raw 78 would be 84th %ile and 86 would be 95th. Most schools (mine included) convert to avg to an 83 and work form there.

agreed. My school doesn't adjust raw scores and percentiles, but they do adjust what percentile/raw score is a "passing grade."

It differs for each exam and for when you take the exam. See if whomever handles testing at your schools will give you a copy of the "Analyzing Performance on Subject Tests" pdf file that can be downloaded form the NBME site by the school.

It contains tables that show the average and standard deviation for each test broken down into quartiles. It also gives an average raw score for "passing" and for "honors" grade based on poll of schools. And it is true as stated above that the raw score is not a percent correct but rather a raw score mean to closely resemble a mean of 70 with standard deviation 8.

For example, the medicine exam data is as follows:

Overall: Mean 74.0 STD 8.3; Raw score of 83 = 87th percentile
Quarter 1 (Aug-Oct): Mean 72.6 STD 8.1; Raw score of 83 = 91st percentile
Quarter 2 (Nov-Jan): Mean 73.4 STD 7.9; Raw score of 83 = 89th percentile
Quarter 3 (Feb-Apr): Mean 74.7 STD 8.2; Raw score of 83 = 85th percentile
Quarter 4 (May-Jul): Mean 75.0 STD 8.7; Raw score of 83 = 83rd percentile
Passing score: 60; Honors score: 82

Although it gives a big table of all the scores. I'll attach one of the files here.

Attachments

• MedRpt.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 738