Shelf Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had our shelf in Micro -- when I took it, there were lots of clinical vignettes which weren't emphasized in class syllabus and lectures.

What sources did you guys use to prepare for it (esp clinical vignettes) as I need to brush up what I didn't know for Boards

Am I correct that the Board questions will be approximately same length, content as the shelf exams?

And we will have shelf exams for other classes too...what sources did you guys use to prepare.

Members don't see this ad.

We don't have shelf exams during the pre-clinical years!
I guess that's a good thing...

Had our shelf in Micro -- when I took it, there were lots of clinical vignettes which weren't emphasized in class syllabus and lectures.

What sources did you guys use to prepare for it (esp clinical vignettes) as I need to brush up what I didn't know for Boards

Am I correct that the Board questions will be approximately same length, content as the shelf exams?

And we will have shelf exams for other classes too...what sources did you guys use to prepare.

Most medical schools don't use those "shelf" exams for pre-clincal subject matter as most medical schools are using integrated or systems-based curricula. Whatever you used to study for your coursework will work for subject exams. Board exams are integrated and again, those subject "shelf" exams are pretty useless in terms of pointing out your deficiencies because they test only one subject at a time.

Members don't see this ad :)
We've had to take shelfs since our first year in med school. Our school gave us shelfs during our regular exam weeks, so we didn't have much time to prepare. The High Yields have worked well for me so far. They're short and emphasize "high yield," clinically-oriented information for the subject matter.

As I understand it they are good representations of the style and difficulty of step 1.