Shenandoah and Wingate Applicants 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey!!

I was planning on just applying to Shennadoah..just to make sure that I actually go to Pharmacy School next year...i know the deadline is approaching in like 5 days..do you guys recommend that I still apply...my stats are so-so...and does anyone know how many seats are filled?

I think that if you're applying now, just to make sure you get in then its probably too late.

Members don't see this ad.

Shenandoah is closed today, so anyone expecting an email decision from them will likely not recieve one today. Just a heads up

Shenandoah is closed today, so anyone expecting an email decision from them will likely not recieve one today. Just a heads up

Aghh!! I was really hoping to hear today since they told me my application would be reviewed today. I feel a little better now knowing that they were closed so thank you for the info! I sure hope that they are open tomorrow, the suspense is killing me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not heard anything from Shenandoah yet...... Do anyone of u know if they will accept PCAT's below 60

I did not heard anything from Shenandoah yet...... Do anyone of u know if they will accept PCAT's below 60

I believe the comp score has to be at least 60, and individual has to be at least 45

I think they are pretty strict about the minimum 60 PCAT requirement. I would call to be sure.

Does anyone know what day of the week the Shenandoah committees meet? or what day they usually send out emails? I need to know so I can call them asap to find out if I got in or not because I need to decide if I should go to the next interview. Btw my interview was on 1/23

Thanks!! :love:

Does anyone know what day of the week the Shenandoah committees meet? or what day they usually send out emails? I need to know so I can call them asap to find out if I got in or not because I need to decide if I should go to the next interview. Btw my interview was on 1/23

Thanks!! :love:

My understanding is that they meet on Wednesdays and that decision emails are sent on Fridays. They were closed this last Wednesday but I called Mrs. Keach yesterday morning and she told me I got in :D. I found out 2 weeks afterward (interviewed 1/16) so hopefully they will have an answer for you on 2/6. Good luck!!

ME TOO!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!:smuggrin::D

Congrats to all that have been accepted thus far and good luck to those hoping to get in! If anyone is interested in rooming together that will be attending the Winchester campus, please PM me. I'm planning on going up to Winchester in the beginning of April to start narrowing down some options. I am planning on bringing all the furniture in my current apartment with me so it would be great to find a roommate(s) to share my stuff with! Congrats again and I look forward to meeting ya'll in August!! :D

I'm traveling up to Shenandoah for my interview tomorrow!! I'm very excited to finally go... my first interview date in January was moved due to snow. Hopefully everything will go well!

Edit: Quick question!!! Did you all bring anything to the interview? Will I need a larger purse to carry stuff or do they not give you anything? I know VCU supplies you with a large bag...

Last edited:
I'm traveling up to Shenandoah for my interview tomorrow!! I'm very excited to finally go... my first interview date in January was moved due to snow. Hopefully everything will go well!

Edit: Quick question!!! Did you all bring anything to the interview? Will I need a larger purse to carry stuff or do they not give you anything? I know VCU supplies you with a large bag...

No, you don't need to bring anything with you. The tour lasts more than 1 hour so wear comfortable shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's quite a lovely campus and I gotta say... I love the view from the library and dining hall. It's going to be quite a change living in Virginia but I think it is well worth it.

I received my Shenandoah interview invitation today! :D

Hey all, I opened a new thread for the Shenandoah Class of 2013 under the Pharmacy Students tab. I will be traveling to Winchester April 3-6 to look at housing options. It would be great to get some students together during that time to share rental cars/hotel and start getting to know each other. I've spoken with a realtor and she can show us some housing options. If you're interested in joining, please PM me or post a reply on the new thread!

No, you don't need to bring anything with you. The tour lasts more than 1 hour so wear comfortable shoes.

Does the tour entail a lot of walking outside?

How long did it take to receive an interview date confirmation?

Last edited:
We only walked outside to look at a garden, and that was it. What do you mean by interview date confirmation?

Does the tour entail a lot of of walking outside?

Does the tour entail a lot of of walking outside?

There isn't a lot of walking outside. Like the previous poster said, there is a medicinal garden outside that you can go see if you'd like. The tour is really extensive and long (in a good way) so you will be standing for a while, not necessarily walking. They offered me a couple different interview dates, I selected the one I wanted and got confirmation on the date the same day I replied to their e-mail.

I really liked this school but I'm terrified that my interview performance did not glitter. The interviewers put me at ease and all but I forgot to tell them about some of my accomplishments. Anyone else have this feeling after their interview? If so, were you still accepted?

I don't know... I felt really good about my interview, but I spoke to some of the current students there and they said they got really good feedback even though they didn't feel like they did a good job. They were obviously accepted, lol. I got the acceptance email a week and a half after my interview. Just from talking to people and looking at the facebook group, I get the feeling that they didn't have as many applicants as in previous years. There are only about 35 people in the "class of 2013" facebook group and they enroll about 80. I'm not sure if this is anywhere close to accurate, but most people are on facebook now, lol. I think as long as you had a positive experience and a good application, your chances will be fine. They get back to you really really fast, so hopefully you won't have to wait long!!! Best of luck!!!! :luck:

Shenandoah had well over 1000 applications the past few years, so I doubt that number would decrease drastically. I am sure the school has more than enough applicants to fill the 90 spots. Yes, many people are on facebook, but not everyone is plus not everyone thinks to search for the group. Don't worry, Shenandoah will have a full class!

Yeah the Facebook group is optional, and it seems like a great place to look for roommates if you are looking for a P1 as a roommate. For the most part, I've been checking for updated housing information so I can be prepared to go back to Winchester look for places to live.

I think it's only natural for us to feel unsure about our interviews. Some have the natural charisma and experience to be completely confident about their interviews, but I wasn't. I was nervous as heck throughout the day, the interview, and on the way home. Being nervous and distracted is not a great way to drive through a state in which you have no previous experience navigating through, apparently.

cuedee: I wish you the best of luck and hope to hear good news in the next few weeks. :) Do you remember who you interviewed with?

i tried searching for the shenandoah c/o 2013 facebook group, but couldn't find it. what did you guys type in?

I forgot what exactly I typed in, but if you want you can just friend me and use that to search. Just message me on here, if anything.

Last edited:
It's listed under "SU School of Pharmacy" not "Shenandoah University School of Pharmacy"

I got in! Thank you all for the kind words.

Are pharmacy students considered 1st year graduate students? Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? Is it included in the acceptance package?

The acceptance package provides information about the school code for FAFSA, but outside of that, there are not official monetary package offered. I think you have to go through FAFSA in order to get the whole ball rolling, so to speak. As far as classification, we fall under Graduate/Professional students. The interesting question is what happens for those people who did not receive a Bachelor's degree prior to pharmacy school... do they get Pell grants?

Anyway, if you don't plan to fill out your parents' information and you already have your taxes filed, it's pretty short and simple.

regarding their rules on letters of recomendation, do you guys think that they'll accept any LORs from non-health professional? I work for my school in the fin.aid office and my supervisor has a very good/high job title. So do you guys know if they'll accept the letter if it came from my supervisor? thanks.

Does Winchester have a night life? What about Ashburn?

Last edited:
regarding their rules on letters of recomendation, do you guys think that they'll accept any LORs from non-health professional? I work for my school in the fin.aid office and my supervisor has a very good/high job title. So do you guys know if they'll accept the letter if it came from my supervisor? thanks.

http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolShenandoahpage.htm
It has the information you need, but basically Shenandoah needs three LORs.
-1 needs to be from a Science Professor
-1 needs to be from a Health Care Professional
-1 is your choice as long as its not from Friends, Family Members, Politicians

they recommend you get a second science professor to write your third one, but it's not required, so yes your supervisor can do a LOR.

Winchester seems too small to have a major nightlife, but I suppose going to DC during the weekends is an option. Maybe there are things to do in downtown Winchester and on the main SU campus. If not, I'm popping in a movie or playing Wii.

Has anyone visited the Ashburn campus? If so, how were the facilities? I did a little research...Ashburn is larger than Winchester. Only years p1 and p2 are spent at Ashburn, right?

I was led to believe that only a few (less than 10) P1 students do the Ashburn campus, Yes, Ashburn is larger and closer to the city, but unless you like being secluded I would recommend the main campus. Only chose Ashburn if you have a real reason to be there, otherwise, I think most will prefer the main campus. I stayed in Ashburn where my uncle lives for my interview, but interviewed in Winchester. From what I can tell the Ashburn campus is only one small building. Even with family in the area, I would much prefer the Winchester campus.

I was accepted to Shenandoah a few months ago. I just now got into one of my top choices and will be turning down my spot at the Ashburn campus. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting. Hopefully my spot goes to someone who really wants it.

PS- For those wondering about the Ashburn campus, it is extremely nice, but definitely small. It is one building and contains one main "lecture" room. The facility is meant for about 8-12 students. The students on this campus all get to know each other really well and will likely turn to each other even after migrating over to Winchester. Ashburn is only for P1, then you move to Winchester for P2-P4. The integration between campuses is through a state of the art video conferencing with live video feed of the lectures in Winchester. I really liked it, and, had I been going to Shenandoah, would've definitely chosen Ashburn over Winchester (even though I'd be going to Winchester after the first year). They are moving towards making Ashburn a full 4 year campus, but they haven't finished getting approval for that yet. If anyone has other specific Questions about Ashburn, PM me. I asked a LOT of questions while I was there.

Again, good luck to everyone!

I was accepted to Shenandoah a few months ago. I just now got into one of my top choices and will be turning down my spot at the Ashburn campus. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting. Hopefully my spot goes to someone who really wants it.

Hawaii is your first choice? JK... Congrats on Oklahoma. :hardy:

I am going to turn down their offer, too. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Jammer, I think I know who you are. :p I hope you enjoy OU and do well. We'll keep in touch online. :D

Spock... noooooooo... why you leaving meeeeeee... :p Best of luck to you as well, and keep in touch as well. :D

Winchester doesn't have too much of a night life. They have 3 bars that attract the 20something crowd but are still pretty small. I went to two of them while I was up there and they seemed to have a good atmosphere and one has a DJ on Fridays and live music on Saturdays. I was talking to a P1 and she said that there is a Metro station nearby and they go into DC occasionally. I think it'll be a big change for those of us coming from big cities but hey, at least we'll get a lot of studying done!

For those that have decided on attending Shenandoah, another incoming student and I will be visiting Winchester to look at housing in the next few weeks. We are looking for another 1-2 roommates to share a house. I checked out Stuart Hill and Pemberton Apartments and it just seems that we would get more for our money by renting a house. If you are interested in renting with us, please let me know and I can send you what we will be looking at.

Winchester doesn't have too much of a night life. They have 3 bars that attract the 20something crowd but are still pretty small. I went to two of them while I was up there and they seemed to have a good atmosphere and one has a DJ on Fridays and live music on Saturdays. I was talking to a P1 and she said that there is a Metro station nearby and they go into DC occasionally. I think it'll be a big change for those of us coming from big cities but hey, at least we'll get a lot of studying done!

For those that have decided on attending Shenandoah, another incoming student and I will be visiting Winchester to look at housing in the next few weeks. We are looking for another 1-2 roommates to share a house. I checked out Stuart Hill and Pemberton Apartments and it just seems that we would get more for our money by renting a house. If you are interested in renting with us, please let me know and I can send you what we will be looking at.

no....no there is not a metro station in winchester. the closest metro station is west falls church, which is where i live and that is still a good hour and a half from winchester. ashburn, on the other hand, is about a half hour away, and that campus has a shuttle that goes to dc to the GWU campus. they are extending metro rail out to dulles (10 minutes away) within the next ten years, but thats about it.

and thank you for calling it the metro, instead of this "subway" abomination.

Thanks for the correction, hokierx. I was trying to remember what one of the students there told me but I must have misunderstood!

could anyone let me know what the interview was like, who interviewed you (2 faculty, or a student and faculty), whats your itinerary like for the day and about how long does the whole thing last? what could I expect, my interview is this weekend. any help would be appreciated.

Should I expect any correspondance from SU after sending in my deposit?

Has anyone received their financial aid award package?

Has anyone received their financial aid award package?

I called the school last week and they said that the financial aid packets will be sent out sometime in April.

Finaid said award letters will go out in May.

Anyone know residency placement stats for SU?