Program-Specific Info / Q's Shenandoah University Fall 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTisforme9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from Shenandoah on 1/18, submitted the google form, and have not heard back with my "official letter". Has anyone else heard from them since their acceptance? Just anxious and want to put down my deposit already

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from Shenandoah on 1/18, submitted the google form, and have not heard back with my "official letter". Has anyone else heard from them since their acceptance? Just anxious and want to put down my deposit already
I checked in. They will be sending the letters this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, i'll be attending. Hopefully it'll be the Winchester campus. How about you?
I will! It was my top choice- hopefully winchester as well but we will see when we get those official letters. Hopefully soon

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted today! So do we get to choose our campus? I remember on OTCAS I put either or, but prefer Winchester. Today it said I was accepted into the Leesburg campus. What google form are you guys referring to?

I got accepted today! So do we get to choose our campus? I remember on OTCAS I put either or, but prefer Winchester. Today it said I was accepted into the Leesburg campus. What google form are you guys referring to?
When I was emailed on 1/18 in my acceptance was a google form and you filled it out to choose which campus you preferred. I got an update today saying I was accepted to winchester and talked to Linda today saying they are sending out the actual letter that comes in the mail today. Seems like some people were given the option and maybe some were assigned! I talked to two friends there now and they're both at leesburg and love it!

Okay, awesome! I'm not too picky either way. I have never been to Leesburg or to Northern VA at all (surprisingly) so I'm excited to visit! Do you know anything about if their financial aid packages are good? Nervous about the expenses, so I plan on applying for scholarships asap to hopefully offset some costs!

Okay, awesome! I'm not too picky either way. I have never been to Leesburg or to Northern VA at all (surprisingly) so I'm excited to visit! Do you know anything about if their financial aid packages are good? Nervous about the expenses, so I plan on applying for scholarships asap to hopefully offset some costs!
I don't honestly I'm just going for it. I'm applying to FASFA once I put my deposit down and will be doing the same as you with other scholarships but I have not heard about financial packages I probably should look into that

Got accepted yesterday off the alternate list!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I attended SU for their PT program for a year before switching to OT. Let me know if you have questions about Winchester and Leesburg. I know a bit about the area.

SU doesn’t really offer scholarships but cost of living isn’t bad in Winchester but is a bit more in Leesburg since it’s closer to DC.

Is anyone going to be moving to the area? I currently live in Richmond and I know some students commute from outside the area every week. I will be attending the Winchester campus btw

Im not ecxactly sure if i will be moving there or not (still waiting on a job acceptance).

Is anyone going to be moving to the area? I currently live in Richmond and I know some students commute from outside the area every week. I will be attending the Winchester campus btw
I will be! Someone in the program currently travels from Charlotte NC every week.... I technically could but that is so much added stress. I'm excited to be back in VA :)

I will be! Someone in the program currently travels from Charlotte NC every week.... I technically could but that is so much added stress. I'm excited to be back in VA :)
Very true. That is a lot of unnecessary stress. I’m sure I’ll be making the same decision!

Im not ecxactly sure if i will be moving there or not (still waiting on a job acceptance).
Good luck! Yes more than likely I will be moving to the area too. The commute would be too much. May I ask what type of position you applied for?

I’ll be moving there in early August. Not sure exactly where, but hopefully within biking distance of class

There’s not really any housing within biking distance of the campus unfortunately. There’s lots of places though over by the main campus where you’ll spend part of your Tuesday’s working on the cadavers. I was in SU’s PT program and what worked best for me was to find a place to live in between the two campuses. I spent a lot of time in the study rooms on the main campus and my apartment was 8 mins from each campus by car.

There’s not really any housing within biking distance of the campus unfortunately. There’s lots of places though over by the main campus where you’ll spend part of your Tuesday’s working on the cadavers. I was in SU’s PT program and what worked best for me was to find a place to live in between the two campuses. I spent a lot of time in the study rooms on the main campus and my apartment was 8 mins from each campus by car.
Could you provide some more about the place you lived? That sounds like a perfect location.

I currently live in Norfolk, VA where my Fiance and I are finishing up undergrad. I graduate in May, but he graduates in December. So it looks like I will be making a 4 hour commute the first semester until he graduates. :/ We anticipate on moving to Richmond closer to where we are originally from, which is still a 2 hour drive. I personally am not interested in moving to Leesburg at this point right now so the commute will have to work for now! Is there a Facebook page up yet? Would love to connect with everyone.

I currently live in Norfolk, VA where my Fiance and I are finishing up undergrad. I graduate in May, but he graduates in December. So it looks like I will be making a 4 hour commute the first semester until he graduates. :/ We anticipate on moving to Richmond closer to where we are originally from, which is still a 2 hour drive. I personally am not interested in moving to Leesburg at this point right now so the commute will have to work for now! Is there a Facebook page up yet? Would love to connect with everyone.
I havent seen one

SU OT Y1 here. I had to make the move to Richmond recently, and can relate to some of your concerns. If you have questions about the program, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help! Excited to see some of you at Leesburg later this year :)

I lived in Old town Winchester, right on the walking mall. It was perfect for me and my commute! Keep in mind you’ll be bouncing back and forth between the medical and main campus on Tuesday’s.

Does anyone know when we will hear further information about immunizations, orientation, etc? also are Winchester classes on Tuesday?

Winchester classes are on Tuesdays. It’s early March..I wouldn’t expect to hear much until it’s closer to orientation. If you don’t already have your CPR/BLS certification, I’d get that now, because you’ll need your card one month before orientation start date.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The PT program required American Heart Association for CPR. I took mine early before I heard from the school and had to retake with AHA instead of Red Cross.

SU OT Y1 here. I had to make the move to Richmond recently, and can relate to some of your concerns. If you have questions about the program, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help! Excited to see some of you at Leesburg later this year :)

How do you handle the commute from Richmond to campus every week? Do you ever car pool with other students?

Last semester I made a 2.5 hour commute from Warsaw, VA (where I’m originally from... middle of nowhere), to Norfolk, VA for undergrad twice a week. And it was totally worth it.. anything to not have to pay room and board. Lol I will be making a similar commute from Richmond to Leesburg so thankfully I’m adjusted to those long hours of driving. It’s not fun, but it’s worth it if you have no other choice.

How do you handle the commute from Richmond to campus every week? Do you ever car pool with other students?

I think most people either have a family member in the area or have other strategies to handle the commute (i.e. split driving between you and a family member/SO). Car pooling isn’t common because we are so spread out, but that doesn’t mean you can’t try it. You’d probably have to find someone coming from the same direction for it to work.

Last edited:
Yes we need CPR Certification through American Heart Association. Something that I'm actually worried about is that we also have to have health insurance... I do not have health insurance. The more I keep thinking about being $70k in debt is really getting to me. What is everyones plans on paying this load of debt? I can't be the only one who is petrified of taking out loans for that amount... I only have $6k in undergrad loans I'm paying off so that's not bad. Of course applying to this program I knew how much it was going to cost, but I've just been dwelling on it a lot lately. I'm going to try to really rack up on scholarships in my spare time I guess.

Yes we need CPR Certification through American Heart Association. Something that I'm actually worried about is that we also have to have health insurance... I do not have health insurance. The more I keep thinking about being $70k in debt is really getting to me. What is everyones plans on paying this load of debt? I can't be the only one who is petrified of taking out loans for that amount... I only have $6k in undergrad loans I'm paying off so that's not bad. Of course applying to this program I knew how much it was going to cost, but I've just been dwelling on it a lot lately. I'm going to try to really rack up on scholarships in my spare time I guess.
LOL homegirl do not worry about the debt yet... I am probably in 90k from undergrad at VT and am about to rack up another 70k from this program- I know I will be paying it off once I get out of school very diligently and as much as I can. We will be making like 70-80k when we finish our program. As for health insurance I have no advice I am covered by my parents until 26 if I am a student. Shenandoah offers health insurance I am sure it's not too expensive

VT as in Virginia Tech? Either way, good god! I had no idea undergrad could even cost that much lol You're right but man I love money.. I'm trying to keep my money in the positive numbers. hahaha I'll definitely be asking Shenandoah about their insurance.

What is the facebook group called?

Has anybody received any additional information regarding orientation, registration, start date and things of that nature?

I was emailing with Linda a couple weeks ago, and she said to be on the lookout for more information at the end of May/beginning of June.

I was emailing with Linda a couple weeks ago, and she said to be on the lookout for more information at the end of May/beginning of June.
I heard the same the sameness message from Linda today. More information should be delivered via email

I just finished my first year of the MSOT program at SU. Feel free to ask me any questions about it! You do need to be AHA cpr certified and be prepared to have to get TB tests and immunizations.

I just finished my first year of the MSOT program at SU. Feel free to ask me any questions about it! You do need to be AHA cpr certified and be prepared to have to get TB tests and immunizations.
Congrats on finishing yr 1!
Any tips on how to prepare (texts to read, topics to review)?
How was it finding housing?
Thanks in advance!

Congrats on finishing yr 1!
Any tips on how to prepare (texts to read, topics to review)?
How was it finding housing?
Thanks in advance!

Thanks, it was a fun year! I learned sooo much! About housing, I already lived in the area so I cannot give any advice on that regards. I go to the Leesburg campus if that makes a difference... and most of my classmates do live in the NOVA area, but some do commute from other states. In terms of preparing I would honestly just spend this summer relaxing and enjoying yourself! The fall semester you'll be taking gross anatomy (which is a lot of work), along with other more intro to OT type classes. A TON of reading will be assigned, but I wouldn't overwhelm yourself with trying to cram it all in. But if you really want to do do stuff this summer, I'd look over the human skeletal muscles. You'll need to know them along with their insertions, actions, origins, and innervations. It is a lot, but definitely doable. Most importantly I think is to NOT get stressed out! It's ok to take breaks and do things you enjoy.

Reactions: 3 users