Sheridan Health care Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CajunGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I came across some very sad news on gaswork today. Two of the hospitals I was really interested in working at back home are apparently Sheridan Health care The good news is they both have jobs. The bad news is that I know from previous threads that Sheridan is bad. My question is what should I do. Should I just suck it up?

Members don't see this ad.

So I came across some very sad news on gaswork today. Two of the hospitals I was really interested in working at back home are apparently Sheridan Health care The good news is they both have jobs. The bad news is that I know from previous threads that Sheridan is bad. My question is what should I do. Should I just suck it up?

Sheridan may suck but maybe not worse than any other group. They'll all steal what you earn just because they have the contract. If you aren't a partner or in an eat what you kill situation, someone is taking money from you.

Lafayette?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
New Iberia? They love sugar cane or something?

Yea I didn't think there would be crazy competition but guess I was wrong. I might try finding a position as an intensivist. I would like either job though. ESP new Iberia.

Yea I didn't think there would be crazy competition but guess I was wrong. I might try finding a position as an intensivist. I would like either job though. ESP new Iberia.

It's been several years since I moonlighted at Dauterive Hospital in New Iberia, but Dr. Steven Collins was department head. A real straight-shooter. If he's still there he would give you the honest information. Sorry but I don't know anything about New Iberia General.

Have you looked into Abbeville? Also used to cover weekends there on rare occasion. Wouldn't mind being there fulltime.

Did you check LSUMC/University Hospital in Lafayette? Working for the state has it's advantages and disadvantages to be sure.

What's worse? Sheridan or private practice groups who abuse the young 2-5 year partnerships PLUS end up making the young pay their own tail?

Think about it.

Sheridan maybe a good 1-2 year job if you are in transition or need to be in a certain location. There are actually worst management companies than Sheridan. (I have never worked for Sheridan but know people who have). It is what it is. At least u know what u are getting into with Sheridan.

What's worse? Sheridan or private practice groups who abuse the young 2-5 year partnerships PLUS end up making the young pay their own tail?

Think about it.

Sheridan maybe a good 1-2 year job if you are in transition or need to be in a certain location. There are actually worst management companies than Sheridan. (I have never worked for Sheridan but know people who have). It is what it is. At least u know what u are getting into with Sheridan.

If sheridon is gonna cover your tail and the job is close to family, I think you will be fine. At least their malpractice insurance is better than the napa one.

As an AA student, most of the places I rotated through in South Florida were owned by Sheridan because thats Sheridan HQ. The place I work at now is Sheridan too, but 8 hours away and even though the group is owned by them, we're pretty autonomous. It seems like we have some different policies/benefits/structure compared to the places down in SFL, which all seem the same.

I'd say I feel like Sheridan wasn't so bad after all, their pay and benefits are good. The doctors in my group seem happy and they just made the transition from regular PP to Sheridan within the last few years. I think a) as you go further afield in the country and b) if the group thats bought out is already large and strong (our dept is like ~100 people), then Sheridan gives more leeway to run the group how you want.

If sheridon is gonna cover your tail and the job is close to family, I think you will be fine. At least their malpractice insurance is better than the napa one.

Sheridan is self insured. No tail needed.

What gets confusing is obviously Sheridan will not pay your tail from a previous group. But if u work for them for x amount of time. Your malpractice is covered.

Many W2 hospital employed positions are self insured also depending how large the hospital corporation is also.

Thanks everyone for responding. I think I will try my luck in the ICU arena there. Maybe some anesthesia on the side if they let me

Unfortunately, the two places i want to be are long island and south florida. I would say I've done extensive research and florida has been a very tight market for few years now- basically sheridan has bulk and private practices are not offering/or very shady with partnership. Sheridan is very upfront,tell you it is what it is, everyone the same more or less.
That being said, I'm currently working for Napa, which is quickly dominating long island nd unlike sheridan doesn't buy out practices, just takes control with contract. But apples to apples, Napa offers better benefits and different hospitals have different deals, where Sheridan everyone gets x, plus I've heard (but second hand, can't confirm) Sheridan recently is making employees contribute larger portion of health insurance cost.
Unfortunately, as someone who has family both places but loves Florida, the reality is Florida suffers from majority medicare (old pop) and in younger areas like south florida no insurance/ or medicaid in masses. In fact many non sheridan groups still existing are holding on by receiving subsidies from hospital- if that goes, forget it. I was told the model of doing your own cases in florida would put you on a staple diet of raman noodles, thats why you need to cover 3-4 rooms to survive. I had to cover 4 rooms/doc my old job, including heart/major vascular/neuro. And took tail hit to leave, at least sheridan covers that; but no retirement other than available self funded 401k.
Just my experience, since I've lived/worked in both areas that are subject to two of largest management firms.