Ajmeru

15+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hi,
Just curious, does anybody know about the discovery of the Sonic Hedgehog gene (SHH) and how did it came to be known by this name? I couldn't find much in the literature on the web or elsewhere.

kidmel45

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2002
chicago
Visit site
Status
actually had a prof in undergrad tell us it was named after the sonic the hedgehog sega game....not sure if that's true, but sounds better than anything else I've heard

Centrum

SMILEY KING
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2002
TX
Status
Originally posted by kidmel45
actually had a prof in undergrad tell us it was named after the sonic the hedgehog sega game....not sure if that's true, but sounds better than anything else I've heard
I don't know of anything else called by the name sonic the hedgehog, so that would be my guess.

About the Ads

Badgerbabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2000
Madison, WI
Visit site
Status
Yeah, my devo prof told us the other day that it is involved in patterning during development, and was in fact named for the sega game. Not sure why though.

Shannon

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by Badgerbabe
was in fact named for the sega game. Not sure why though.

Shannon
Maybe because molecular biologists are strange? ;)

Badgerbabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2000
Madison, WI
Visit site
Status
Oh, I'm quite certain molecular biologists are strange! (I can say this having been one in undergrad :) ) I would actually really like to hear the story behind that one....Well, we were up really late one night playing video games and one thing led to another, and someone lost a bet, and his next great discovery was named Sonic Hedghog.....?? :D

Fenrezz

AT Stills Worst Nightmare
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Ft. Tulsadale
Status
I don't blame them for naming it after the game. I was so addicted to that game I would have named my kid Sonic, had I had one.

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
Originally posted by Fenrezz
I don't blame them for naming it after the game. I was so addicted to that game I would have named my kid Sonic, had I had one.
well, i guess thats a better name than "Grand Theft Auto 3" or "Goldeneye" :)

J

jot

well since grad students name a lot of the genes - they have pretty funny names. the patchway for dorsal-ventral specification in drosophila embryos has gene names like cappacino, pipsqueak, toll, cactus, spatzle, lunatic fringe (some death metal band - not in this pathway but still amusing). makes learning them a bit more interesting. there are all sorts of variations on sonic hedgehog that hae sprung up too. yeah dorks! ;)

-jot

kutastha

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
Just by memory, I believe there was already a hedgehog gene found in fruit flies, and the Harvard researchers who discovered the SHH gene had a sense of humor.

Coalboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2001
East Providence, RI
www.greenisgoldphoto.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I like how one of the genes that controls the development of the head is called noggin . Makes it pretty easy to remember. And my embryo professor told us a similar story to the one Kutastha related.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by Fenrezz
Scary thought all together, Fenrezz! ;) :laugh:

About the Ads