# Shifts per month in academic ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdwmont

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many shifts per month will an academic ED attending typically work? Another way to ask this question would be, how much time do you have to devote to research in academic EM? I understand there will quite a bit of variability, but a rough estimate would be nice to have.

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Core faculty are limited to 112 hours/month, on average.
If you have a department big enough, you can buy down those hours with grants. Some work 80, some work less.
You have to be able to write a lot of grants though, as clinical shifts cost money.

I'm clinical faculty at Carolinas and for us, contract "full time clinical" is considered 136hr/mo which equals 17 shifts. This is pure "work hours", not including charting time after shifts, lectures, simulation lab, call, Journal Club, etc.

...but then again, we are known to work a lot for academic faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the new guy in my academic group, I work ~128 hours/month, mostly 8's at the University with a few 12's at our community shop. Any "academic" work is done on my own time, but certain levels of academic productivity get rewarded through an incentive plan. I could work less, but also get paid less.

Great, thanks for the responses. Much appreciated!

I work an average of 14 eight hour shifts...which the other faculty think is crazy high...

I am starting to find it a bit much and I definitely find it is limiting my ability to develop academically in a non-clinical sense...

HH

You need to separate ACGME Core Faculty and Clinical Faculty at an academic shop.
The core faculty are limited at an avg of 26 hours per week (like DrMcNinja said) - so I work about 112 hours per month. Then on top of that, most places give a core faculty stipend. While the hourly rate of work might be same as clinical faculty, you will probably not make as much as the non-core clinical faculty who are working more clinical hours. Nonethess, DrMcNinja is also correct that you can end up working less hours if you can get money for research, running a med student clerkship etc on top of a core faculty stipend.

I think the thing I didn't realize when I started at an academic place after residency is that there are all sorts of meetings, lectures, and other "academic responsibilities" outside of your clinical time that you have to take care of. often that means coming in on days that are otherwise "off" clinically. depending on your compensation structure, you may or may not be compensated for the time you're coming in for meetings, etc.

i find that my academic clinical shifts were easier then they are now at my community job, but i definitely am not coming in for extra stuff on days off often, and when I do, I am paid for it.