1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Shiping my Car

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Doctor2Be, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Can someone help me out and let me know what is the cheapest way to ship my car from the west Coast to the East Coast.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Sorry, I don't know anything about rates for doing such a thing, although I'm sure it will cost you a small fortune.

Unless you are extremely short on time and shipping the car is your only choice, don't count out the alternative of driving across country. It's not *too* bad -- I've done it myself several times (Mississippi to Washington in 2.5 days). It's an interesting way to see the country and can be somewhat invigorating depending on which states you drive through.

Good luck with your problem.

-G

4. cusp of carabelli

Hey Doctor2be..
    you might wanna try this website..
    http://www.123movers.com/cd/asp/s-auto_ship/je/default.html
    Where are you gonna be driving from/to? I'm gonna be driving from the bay area to philly....but were gonna make it like a mini vacation too stoping by like mt rushmore and stuff....neways...good luck and maybe i'll see you on the road!:)

5. ItsGavinC & cusp of carabelli

Thanks alot for your Help and advice

6. Dr. MAXY

Dr. MAXY Senior Member

Have you considered driving? Maybe that maight be the cheapest option.

7. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    Definately drive, you're going to be buried in books for the next four years and sitting on a chair with the only view of people's oral cavity. Might as well make it an adventure and what better way to do that than drive. I was thinking of taking AMTRACK or another train down if I go to the east coast ( there is no way in hell I will get a car, unless I get into UW.)

DesiDentist

8. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE

I shipped my car from California to Missouri and it costed me about 600 dollars. It would have been 800 but there was student discount. They usually have that so ask.
    For the east coast, I imagine it would be about 900-1000?
    If you have the time, drive! It would be nice to see the other states and how people live. Otherwise, if you hate driving, than ship it! It's worth the money.

9. vixen

vixen I like members

I would drive it also...gather some friends and make a fun road trip out of it! :D:clap:

10. StarGirl

StarGirl .....

hey cusp of carabelli
    when are you planning to drive from the bay area to philly? I am actually going with one of your classmates :) then going to NYC after yay :) It's going to be a great road trip :) I think if you get a chance why spend the 1000 on shipping it when you can use that money on hotels and just make it a vacation?!

Beagle just wondering, where did you find the shipping company? I just want to know what's a fair price since we're splitting some of the cost of the trip. Btw snoopie's guy use to live in my city :)

Take care guys! Have lots of fun watch lots of TV cause once school starts you're going to wish you did :):)

11. cusp of carabelli

hey stargirl...
    where are you guys gonna be taking off from? which interstate are you gonna use? I'm gonna be leaving on the 2nd and making stops in reno (of course...=o)...too bad vegas isn't on the way! :p )....I'm gonna be spending a couple days in nyc visiting some friends of mine! Maybe we'll run into each other or something...we should like paint our cars w/that removeable stuff people use w/like PHILLY or BUST (or NYC in your case...=o)) ..

12. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE

Stargirl
    Snoopie's guy really lived in your place? When was this? Did he also sleep on top of your house?
    I found the shipping company from my mom, but I did check on the internet for a long time. Most places on the net will email you a price and then you will be able to see what is fair or not based on comparisons. Or just call the companies.
    Where are you from in the bay area? I think my shipping company was either from South San Fran or San Mateo...
    But with all this talk on visiting new cities, I say ditch the shipping idea and make it a vacation!!!!
    SNOOPIE IS REAL!!!!!

13. StarGirl

StarGirl .....

cusp of carabelli, we're leaving aug 1st and going to reno as well =) We're making it a long road trip....are you driving by yourself? I sure hope not, it's a long drive by yourself...we're going to head off to Philly first... where are you living next year? Then probably make it to Columbia the first day we an move in...it's going to be great.

Begal, I live in the NORTH (unknown) Bay...we're definately going to drive. How mnay chances do you get to drive cross country right? The cartoonist for snoopie lived on my house :p no no but he lives in the opposit corner of my town (also known as the nice side). We even have things named after Snoopy I think.

14. cusp of carabelli

Hey stargirl...
    so how long are you gonna be staying in reno for? maybe we could like meet up and have a pre-school starting cocktale...:D
    How many people are you driving over with? Are you making any other stops along the way? (i'm assuming you're gonna be taking the 80 over...) I'm gonna be living in the woodmere apartments how about your friend? Yeah....this road trip should be fun...I can't wait!....go go go bruins!!! :D (sorry..had to get that out of my system...:D ..i think it'll be hard to catch any of the pac-10 games over on the east coast...:( )

15. StarGirl

StarGirl .....

hey cusp~
    we're only staying one night in Reno, then we're stopping by salt lake city, chicago, somewhere in wisconsin, mt rushmore, a few other places... my list is in the other room hehe and too lazy to get up :p I have no idea what route we're taking yet. I forgot the name of the place my friend is staying at but it's where you guys have orientation...oh summit park :)
    How many people are you driving with? I need to take everything there hehehe...mainly clothes since I am too broke to shop for anything else sniff sniff...
    I know UCLA played Columbia last year (sigh I had tickets too but didn't go....this was before I got into Columbia) I think I'll always be a True bruin =) yay......

Star :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Dr. MAXY

Dr. MAXY Senior Member

Doctor2Be

Have you yet decided how you are going to transport your car?

18. Regina330

Regina330 Senior Member

I am going east to west coast and I am driving. I think it is definitely the cheapest way to go. A friend of mine shipped his car to and from Hawaii a few times and to get it from PA to CA cost $1200 and then $1800 from CA to HI. In the 3 times he shipped his car, he could have bought a car! Anyway, I am taking the southern route to CA, so I won't pass any of you by, BUT, Las Vegas just happens to be slightly off-route, so I will be making a stop. Good luck on your roadtrips!! And to those of you questioning how to get coast to cost, I suggest driving. It's cheaper and you get to see the country :cool:

19. Thank you all for your reply, Since my car doesn't have an AC then it will be very difficult to drive for 40 hrs, and other thing is that I have no friends willing to come with me from the West cost to the east cost, so I already paid 800 ( best deal ) to ship it to Nashville.
    thank you all again
    and I wish you all the best