shipping a car?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigNavyPedsGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyonw, I'm PCSing from Little Rock to San Diego in 2 weeks. We still have no way to get my wife's care there. We've axhausted all of ourfriends to help. We can't tow it b/c we were going to my aunt's place in CO in the mountains.

Has anyone out there ever paid to ship a car? How much was it? Was it a pain? Our only other option is to drive tandem 2/3 of the way across the country.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought in a PCS move you could ship one car, or is that only out to Hawaii? I had friends who shipped cars from Charleston to Hawaii, and if I recall, the gas tank has to be empty, and I think they said the odds of damage were pretty good. That was ten years ago though. Feel for you, hope to join you in San Diego in another three years (from Memphis, so not much further).

The military will only pay to ship a vehicle outside CONUS. I just shipped my car from Las Vegas to North Carolina. The cost was $900 thru DAS auto shippers. This is the company recommended by NEX moving center.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I remember you can submit the mileage for both vehicles on your PCS travel claim. The military won't pay for you to ship your car. Figure out what the minimum number of miles you have to travel per day and then just take your time. You will get a per diem for each day of travel. I would recommend stopping off in the Grand Canyon.

So, thanks for the input. I've pretty much exhausted most of the options besides shipping a car. I know the Navy won't pay for it, but if I found 2 freinds to help out, I would add up 1)the cost of gas and 2)the cost of 2 plane tix. That number is probably more than shipping it. Think gas will probably cost $400-$500, if shipping costs ~700, would I pay $200 to be able to talk to my wife during this trip? I think so.

Anyone else ever pay to ship? How did it go? How much did it cost?

.. would I pay $200 to be able to talk to my wife during this trip? I think so.

:laugh: I'm sorry... I'm not laughing at you. That is a very sweet sentiment... I know more than a couple of husbands out there who would pay $200 NOT to have to talk to their wives during the entire trip. :laugh:

:laugh: I'm sorry... I'm not laughing at you. That is a very sweet sentiment... I know more than a couple of husbands out there who would pay $200 NOT to have to talk to their wives during the entire trip. :laugh:

I thought of that during the post. The real problem is that I can drive for 15 hours straight, she can drive for about 8.

I thought of that during the post. The real problem is that I can drive for 15 hours straight, she can drive for about 8.

Well, according to the DOD you're only allowed to drive about 350 miles per day; otherwise you may get one of those awesome safety violation notices :)

So, thanks for the input. I've pretty much exhausted most of the options besides shipping a car. I know the Navy won't pay for it, but if I found 2 freinds to help out, I would add up 1)the cost of gas and 2)the cost of 2 plane tix. That number is probably more than shipping it. Think gas will probably cost $400-$500, if shipping costs ~700, would I pay $200 to be able to talk to my wife during this trip? I think so.

Anyone else ever pay to ship? How did it go? How much did it cost?

i shipped a car from MO to MD-- was around $800 i think. i think we used DAS as well. after signing up you drop off the car then they call you when it's ready to be picked up. it amazingly straightforward, lol. we even put a few of the breakable things we didn't trust the movers with in it (even thugh you sign all kinds of waivers concerning goods in the car). everything made it fine. you can pay extra for better locations on the truck, but the car i shipped was a commuter car, not really a specimen of automotive beauty :)

i'd recommend it, if only for the peace of mind and less stress.

--your friendly neighborhood getting ready to try a DITY this time caveman

So, I went to the DAS webiste and got a quote. Do I just go straight through them, or do get some kind of deal by going through NEX?

Thanks for the info - that, in my opinion, is what this site is all about.

Shipped a car from Seattle to Durham, NC, which is probably a little further than Arkansas to San Diego, for $900+. Yes, it was a massive pain in the ass. The car arrived two weeks late, and for my trouble, I got $450 back. Not nearly worth the grief.

I just booked it with DAS. With the military discount ($40) it was 800 even. If we had friends drive it that's probably about the same as gas+plane tix back. Hopefully it will all go smoothly.

BTW USAA is one of only 2 companies that cover cars while their being shipped. So, that's one more bonus from me visiting this site.