Shoot Straight! What are my chances!! Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docsnwiggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so here's my story. I'm a senior at a state university majoring in genetics that had a rough Freshman/Sophmore year resulting in a kind of low GPA those two years. I had some family issues and medical issues that resulted in me having to work 40+ hours a week while doing a full course load. Since then I've had a strong upward trend my Junior/Senior year and have improved my GPA greatly getting A's and B's in upper division science/major related classes. Basically I want to know where I could get in to with my current stats/where I should be looking! I would really love to go to school in California and have ties in the area. Here are my stats!

Graduating with a 3.35 cum GPA-science should be around there slightly.
I haven't taken my MCAT yet, but I do think I will do well on it shooting for 30-34 (practice test indicate that)
ECs-
4 years coaching High School sports
1 year mentoring inner city youth
1+ year research
270+ hours volunteering in a clinic in a 3rd world country
50+ hours volunteering at a foreign orphange
Member of nontraditional club
I will also continue to shadow throughout this spring semester as well.

Other things-not sure if they're useful
Worked 40 hours a week for 1.5 years in the financial industry
I'm an URM as well.

Please let me know what you think my chances are or what you think I should do next!

Members don't see this ad.

As bad as it sounds, if you do get a 30-34 on the MCAT, with the URM status I do think you might have a shot at a California school. However, I would definitely apply out of state to give yourself the best chances. Obviously you know the gpa isn't amazing, but your EC's seem good, and if you get a score in the upper end of your projected MCAT I think you will definitely get in somewhere. Without a real MCAT score though, it is hard to give you any real advice. Just keep taking classes and try to improve your gpa as much as you can and rock the MCAT.

I would also try and get some clinical experience here in this country...while it looks good to have done things in other countries, adcomms want to see that you have experience in our own healthcare system, and if you have only done things abroad, you haven't really seen how our system works. It might also look to them like you are just trying to get a US degree and then go galavanting off to another country to work (and why would they want to lose a doctor they trained to someone else?). Just a thought.

I would also try and get some clinical experience here in this country.
Strongly agree with this suggestion. Try to get this going as soon as possible. And be sure the shadowing includes a US primary care doc.

Besides that, continue to get As for your remaining time in school. Consider a fifth year in college or an informal postbac to keep improving your science GPA. Work on collecting strong LORs. Aim to get an MCAT score at the upper end of your projected range.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your advice!! I know my GPA is definitely going to be the main thing holding me back with my application and makes me a lot less competitive than most, but hopefully my EC's, MCAT, and URM status will make up for it.

Also, since I'm not a California resident (I live in a bordering state) will this hinder my chances greatly? I do have ties to the area, but I'm not sure how much that will help me.

Still not a CA resident Your ec's won't help you much if you don't get some clinical experience in this country.

If you get 30+ with your GPA and URM, you have a shot at an interview invite if you apply broadly.

Yeah, I have a shadow opportunity set up after the holiday as well as a hospital volunteer program I will be starting. I know not having any experience here is hindering but I think I have time to make it up! I appreciate the feedback guys! I'm so self conscious of my low GPA lol

I've thought about it, I was hoping to apply the 2013 cycle and continue to volunteer through that time. I'm not sure though if schools take into account updates through the app cycle. I've heard mixed things on schools responding to letters of interest/update letters.

Thank you both for the replies. I know MD is a reach so hopefully it works out! Happy Holidays.

Get that MCAT score as high as you can. You can do it

thanks guys! Is there a list of schools other than California you think I would have a chance at? I'm an Arizona resident by the way!