Short term employment ideas prior to school starting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOsoon_2Be

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just accepted, and will be attending, ATSU in AZ in July 2020. However my wife and I will be moving down there from the Midwest at the beginning of May so she can get a jump on her career before school starts. Since it'll be a couple months before classes start, I was wondering what type of jobs I may be able to do in the meantime to make good use of my time prior to school starting. I was thinking of scribing again since I have 2 years of experience with that but was also wondering if research would be possible as well? Would that even be an option in that short time period on top of not yet starting medical school? Any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I was just accepted, and will be attending, ATSU in AZ in July 2020. However my wife and I will be moving down there from the Midwest at the beginning of May so she can get a jump on her career before school starts. Since it'll be a couple months before classes start, I was wondering what type of jobs I may be able to do in the meantime to make good use of my time prior to school starting. I was thinking of scribing again since I have 2 years of experience with that but was also wondering if research would be possible as well? Would that even be an option in that short time period on top of not yet starting medical school? Any other suggestions?
Uber. DoorDash.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses! I'll be checking them out. I've never even heard of door dash before

You could look for a tech job. I currently work as an ophthalmic tech making $19/hour and my only experience was as a scribe. You could also work for a warehouse store like Costco. They pay pretty well with good benefits.

Reactions: 1 user
Only downside I can see is that many healthcare jobs aren’t going to want to higher someone for a couple months before med school. It will take a little bit of time to get you up to speed. Best do uber or whatever so you can turn it on and off when you want

You could try looking into tutoring, especially test prep for SAT/ACT/MCAT etc. if you're comfortable with those exams. If you find the right gig, it can pay something like 25-50$ an hour, and a lot of the times it's cash-based, which means it can be a hush hush to Uncle Sam.