Short Term Health Insurance between Med School - Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlejuan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school just informed me that my health insurance will be covering me until the end of June, but my wife and child will have to pay over $2,000 in order to be covered in May and June. Incredibly insane. What options do we have? Any suggestions for decent short term plans? I am not really sure what to look for. How are the plans on eHealthInsurance?

Members don't see this ad.

Look for a short-term plan on sites like Blue Cross Blue Shield for your state. Depending on your needs, these could be cheaper. They don't pay for much stuff except as needed for catastrophic care. This would only be for two months, though and much cheaper than $2000. I used it for a while when I didn't have other sources of health insurance.

Reactions: 1 user
Me and the wife are going to go without insurance for the month or two before our new plan kicks in. Pray for us! lol

I'm not sure how this has changed since the ACA went into effect but it used to be that with COBRA, you had 90 days after you lost your insurance to invoke it and once you did, it was retroactive. So a lot of people (I was one of these) went bare, with the knowledge that if you needed it in the future, you could get it.

Again, no idea if or how that has changed since the ACA but I'm not going to do your homework for you on that one.

Reactions: 1 user
My school just sent an email about the SOMA health insurance plan. I know nothing about it because I will be under my parents' plan until I start internship. Not sure how much SOMA costs, but $2000 is a fleece.

you could also check to see if you can start early with the coverage you have with your residency…you'll have to pay the premiums but it would be the same policy and things would go toward your deductible.