Short term hospitalist work after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingfortheKnicks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit of an unconventional situation here I'd appreciate your advice on if you have a moment. I am currently a PGY2 on the east coast with plans for a heme-onc fellowship in the future. I am leaning towards not applying this year and taking a gap year as my wife who is currently in grad school received grant funding to spend my "PGY4" year in the country she studies.

I am considering delaying application for a year and finding about 6 months of hospitalist/nocturnist work stateside for the first six months while interviewing for fellowship before joining her abroad for the second six months of the year. It is a high priority for us not to spend a year apart; however, it is a big opportunity for her to be on site for this year.

Questions
1) Would this be a problem for fellowships if I didn't practice for six months before fellowship? (I don't plan to advertise my plans and my clinical performance has always been very strong i.e. prestigious residency with good feedback, scoring high on ITE.) I also wouldn't stop working until after I had matched.
2) Would it be feasible to find enough work as a hospitalist/nocturnist (prioritizing well supported positions over salary) in the first six months given that I won't stay in the position long term?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

1-Generally credentialing will want to see a certain # of patient encounters but I imagine if it is only for 6 months that shouldn't be a problem.
2-No problem finding a job like that especially if youre willing to work for slave wages just make sure contract is for 6 months and doesn't have a noncompete in the geographical location you will match (or negotiate an exception for fellowship if that is a possibility).

If you have loans you would still have to pay for them those 6 months as well as health insurance but I assume you have already accounted for this.

Hi all,

Bit of an unconventional situation here I'd appreciate your advice on if you have a moment. I am currently a PGY2 on the east coast with plans for a heme-onc fellowship in the future. I am leaning towards not applying this year and taking a gap year as my wife who is currently in grad school received grant funding to spend my "PGY4" year in the country she studies.

I am considering delaying application for a year and finding about 6 months of hospitalist/nocturnist work stateside for the first six months while interviewing for fellowship before joining her abroad for the second six months of the year. It is a high priority for us not to spend a year apart; however, it is a big opportunity for her to be on site for this year.

Questions
1) Would this be a problem for fellowships if I didn't practice for six months before fellowship? (I don't plan to advertise my plans and my clinical performance has always been very strong i.e. prestigious residency with good feedback, scoring high on ITE.) I also wouldn't stop working until after I had matched.
2) Would it be feasible to find enough work as a hospitalist/nocturnist (prioritizing well supported positions over salary) in the first six months given that I won't stay in the position long term?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
You can find a hospitalist gig that can give you flexible short term work

You’re most likely to find an academic center that can accommodate as they have more churn, than community sites. Warning, you’ll get lower pay and probably only get nocturnist work as such, but that’s the tradeoff