Short term locums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KYTNOH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone could provide some insight into locums work.

I will be finishing my EM residency in June and have narrowed my choices of places to work to three different hospitals. Two of the three I could begin work immediately, and I would be very happy with the pay and working environment at either of those.The third place is possibly my favorite, and long term might be the best of the three to settle into, although there's not a huge difference between it and the other two (considering both financial and general happiness). The problem with the third position is that it won't be available until 6 months after I finish residency.

If I take the job that wouldn't begin until 6 months after I finish, I would obviously have 6 months to work somewhere. I moonlight at a place now (volume ~5K per year and pays $85/hr) that I could easily stay at and make decent money because I could reasonably work 200-220 hours a month there since you sleep quite a bit. The other option would be doing some locums work, which has always intrigued me since it allows you to travel on someone else's dime.

My question is concerning locums. What kind of hourly rates do they typically bring? I know it's higher than average, but does that mean $175/hour or $250/hr? Also, is this something that would allow me to live in one place for 5 months or 3 places in 5 months? Lastly, are most locums gigs independent contractor positions or are they employed positions?

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on what staffing group you go with but you'll typically be IC status. I think it's a good idea if you want to get a feel for an area/hospital system/region. Honestly, I started moonlighting out of state because I can't yet in my home state due to fmg status and the 3yr stipulation, so had to opt to moonlight in 1-2yr stipulation states. Honestly, it really opened my eyes so far. The hospital system I'm working in is actually pretty attractive and democratically controlled. Already approached tentatively about permanent position after residency but no serious talks yet. I was expecting just some random non attractive gig but it's actually a pretty sweet system they have where I'm at. I'll most likely weigh in a lot of other factors and locations but travel locums has opened my eyes. I think it's a great way get a feel for a new area and hospitals in general without having to commit. I can't imaging signing without ever working a shift there and then hating it 6 months later after I'm already moved, etc..

I'll most likely travel locums throughout residency and after until I find that right spot. The only bummer is going through all the extra licensing/DEA fee's, etc.. If you get with a good staffing firm though they should treat you well. I've had a good experience with Weatherby. Can't speak for the others...

Groove

I am not an FMG, but at our place we are only allowed to moonlight when we are PGY3s, are these places that you are moonlighting at allowing you to do it as a PGY2?

Groove

I am not an FMG, but at our place we are only allowed to moonlight when we are PGY3s, are these places that you are moonlighting at allowing you to do it as a PGY2?

I'm a PGY3, 4yr program. We can start moonlighting around second half of PGY2 year depending on ITE scores and staff eval, etc.. but most start 3rd year. Our guys tend to moonlight pretty heavily throughout residency. It's actually encouraged, but being a 4 yr we prob have more free shifts to do it versus 3yr program.