shortage of jobs for graduates true or false?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbatanay

http://medical-animation.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am not sure if this question has been previously addressed, but if it has aw well. I am a little hazy about this topic, I have heard different things from people, and I was just wondering if it is roughly true or not. I know it is not as simple as that, but I am curious to know, if by completing a medicine degree , are you really guaranteed a job in the UK? Has the stability of our jobs changed over the years? due to more people applying for medicine hence more graduates, therefore the competition being greater?

Or on the otherhand, is the shortage of jobs for medical graduates because many of them want to persue highly competitive specialities like cardiology, and so remain jobless because of their choice? So does that mean, flexible doctors are able to find jobs? (/much more easily)

I have heard of a doctor who graduated from GKT, she managed to achieve average grades, her F1 and F2 forms were fine, but after her completion of F1 and F2 years she couldn't find a job in the UK, and was forced to look for a job in australia.

Personally, after that story I was a little bit apprehensive, but I got over it, but I will be interested in your input or perspective on this.

thanks for reading

Best wishes

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,

I am not sure if this question has been previously addressed, but if it has aw well. I am a little hazy about this topic, I have heard different things from people, and I was just wondering if it is roughly true or not. I know it is not as simple as that, but I am curious to know, if by completing a medicine degree , are you really guaranteed a job in the UK? Has the stability of our jobs changed over the years? due to more people applying for medicine hence more graduates, therefore the competition being greater?

Or on the otherhand, is the shortage of jobs for medical graduates because many of them want to persue highly competitive specialities like cardiology, and so remain jobless because of their choice? So does that mean, flexible doctors are able to find jobs? (/much more easily)

I have heard of a doctor who graduated from GKT, she managed to achieve average grades, her F1 and F2 forms were fine, but after her completion of F1 and F2 years she couldn't find a job in the UK, and was forced to look for a job in australia.

Personally, after that story I was a little bit apprehensive, but I got over it, but I will be interested in your input or perspective on this.

thanks for reading

Best wishes

I think you want to ask this question on the UK or another country board. This board is largely populated by US allo folks. There are currently far more jobs for US allo physicians than there are US graduates each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,

thanks for reading

Best wishes

2 things:

1) Where are you studying medicine?
2) Are you a UK/EU national?

If you are an overseas student (ie. not from the UK/EU) and are studying at a UK medical school, then you will be "guaranteed" a foundation year spot that lasts for 2 years. This will enable graduates to register with the GMC (full registration) and that's it. If you require a work permit thereafter, then you will not be shortlisted for any jobs post foundation year as new immigration rules came into force April 2006. All employers MUST prove that they can not appoint a UK/EU national before they can employ a non-national. Therefore, chances are slim.

For UK (or EU nationals)
Again once you graduate, you are guaranteed a foundation job that lasts 2 years, following which, you can compete for Speciality training (be it cardiology/surgery/General Practise(Family Medicine to North Americans)). Jobs are limited, and thus many trainees are looking abroad for further training.....eg. australila/Oz/US.....

Generally speaking, this is the first year of the new recruitment for speciality training in the UK. Perhaps in a few years time, things may settle down to a more secure job situation, but looking at the increasing number of medical graduates here in the UK that are growing each year, that doesn't seem likely in the near future. Competition is fierce and traditionally more so in some specialities, but generally speaking, all jobs will be competitive.