Shorter Term Volunteering Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocRunner07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a short term volunteering opportunity (in the DFW area) but am having a pretty difficult time finding a place that does not want at least a six month commitment. I only have two months (July and August) in which I will be able to volunteer. I don't mind volunteering a lot of hours in those months, maybe a couple of hours every day but just cant do it past August. Is it absolutely terrible to sign up for a program with a six month commitment and then after 2 or three months drop out? ( I won't need a letter of rec. from them, just the hours). Any one know of any short term opportunities in the area?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar issue. I wanted to volunteer at a hospice, but the training itself is so intense it would take 6 months. I think they want at least a year commitment. Since I'm moving at the end of July, they assigned me to a "special projects" unit, which means that I make arts and crafts as gifts for the patients. I get to indulge my inner child and get volunteer hours too. Not that there's any real patient contact, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Don't give them the 6 month commitment and not fulfill it! That's just not nice.

This worked for me--
http://www.liveunited.org/volunteer/

If you put in your zip code, you can find listings for volunteering opportunities in your area. You can specify who, what, when, how long etc. and get in touch with the organizations directly. I found some great "volunteer when i have the time" positions through this website (I'm not in Texas so I can't tell you what you might find in your area).
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The two hospitals I'm volunteering at took me on in March and May, and both were aware that I might be leaving as early as June or maybe August or maybe not til the August after that. I think that even if they "require" a six-month commitment that they'll be happy to have your help. After all, you're still 2 months of free labor, basically. Do them the courtesy of letting the volunteer director know that you'll be gone soon, though.

Hi,
I am also in the DFW area and would like to know of an commitments even if 6 months or more that are possible. I've done some minor hospital work but even that was not as engaged as I had hope. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks!