Shot myself in the foot? DO applicant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phantom1412

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took 2 years of community college courses before transferring to my University where I graduated. At the community college I took Calculus (5 credits) and the first Gen Chem course (5 credits). I received a C- in calc and an E in Gen Chem (I dropped the course, but apparently this did not go through, I should have followed up on it. This was approximately 6 years ago and I didnt know any better).

I eventually ended up retaking these courses at my University and received an A- and B+ respectively. However, at my university, Calculus and Gen Chem are both 4 credits each. Will I need to go back to my community college and repeat these courses? Also, when I eventually fill out my AACOMAS app, would I technically have 9 credits of Gen Chem influencing my sGPA? I am a DO applicant who graduated last year. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to say it, but you're going to have to retake them with the utmost certainty if you're in fact trying to replace a 5 unit with a 4 unit. The courses at the CC were obviously of the lecture/lab combo variety, how about at the university? did you take the labs again separately?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh boy, that doesnt sound good. Both places had the lab/lecture combined.

I also want to add that both places have 4 semesters a year (they have fall/winter/spring/summer semesters).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So not semester, but quarter as in 10 weeks a class and not 16 weeks is what I'm guessing you're trying to say. It's in your best interest to retake chem, especially if you got an F. Also, I wouldn't worry about Calc since retaking it won't have any effect on your science GPA unless you're absolutely anal about the 0.03 it'll boost you.

My apologies, I should have made my reply more clear.

Both places have Fall and Winter semesters that last 16 weeks, and both places have their spring and summer semesters last 10 weeks.

I took 2 years of community college courses before transferring to my University where I graduated. At the community college I took Calculus (5 credits) and the first Gen Chem course (5 credits). I received a C- in calc and an E in Gen Chem (I dropped the course, but apparently this did not go through, I should have followed up on it. This was approximately 6 years ago and I didnt know any better).

I eventually ended up retaking these courses at my University and received an A- and B+ respectively. However, at my university, Calculus and Gen Chem are both 4 credits each. Will I need to go back to my community college and repeat these courses? Also, when I eventually fill out my AACOMAS app, would I technically have 9 credits of Gen Chem influencing my sGPA? I am a DO applicant who graduated last year. Thanks in advance!
I don't think you need to retake it at a CC... If you can perform that well at a University level, there's absolutely no reason to retake it at a CC.

I don't think you need to retake it at a CC... If you can perform that well at a University level, there's absolutely no reason to retake it at a CC.

OP listen to what you want, but I'm going to hold firm on what I stated earlier in that you should retake Chem.
Against your GPA you currently have/could potentially have:

Original Chem CC 5 Units x 0 (F) = 0
Chem Univ 4 Units x 3.3 (B+) = 13.2
GPA: 1.467

Grade Replacement Chem CC 5 Units x 4 (A) = 20
Chem Univ 4 Units x 3.3 (B+) = 13.2
GPA: 3.69

Thank you @swollcat and @Holmwood for your replies. I appreciate your time and thoughts.

As much as I hate doing so, I am going to bite the bullet and retake the course. :/

If it significantly affects OP's chem and sGPAs, then yeah there is a reason to retake. As stupid as it sounds, things like this can hold your GPA under a lot of cutoffs.

OP, be glad it's a CC and you can do it cheaply.

My undergrad had ridiculous credit sizes for certain classes and classes that were required yet random (i.e. didn't exist at other schools). As a result I couldn't get my GPA above a certain amount with cheaper retakes at another university, and I definitely wasn't going to pay 4 times the amount just to retake those classes. I barely missed some cutoffs, and in turn didn't get secondaries because of courses that were 9 yrs old, even though I retook them at a very good university for slightly lower credits (a difference of literally 0.3 credit hours for a lot of them).

Last edited: