Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

Should a 5 verbal be rescored?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MyEyesMesmerize, Oct 6, 2002.

1. MyEyesMesmerize

MyEyesMesmerize Senior Member

I want some honest advice. I am in shock as to my 5 on the verbal section. What kills me is that I have never ever gotten that low on any practice test. The first time I even saw a verbal section I got a 6 on it without knowing any strategies. This summer i took 5 practice exams and various verbal tests, and even though i fluctuated from 8-11, I never got less than an 8. I just dont understand how my score can be so low. But realisticallywhat are the chances that a scoring error was made. Has anyone ever heard of someones score changing after a regrade? Please advise.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. i'm so sorry about your score, i feel your pain.

it's 50 bucks to rescore i think...i don't know if their machines often make mistakes...but i guess you might want to rescore it just for peace of mind....

has anyone ever rescored their exam? what were the outcomes?

4. dark_scientist

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey all,

I had a 5 in verbal in April. Needless to say that I was also in shock for a couple weeks. I knew I had done bad, but not that bad. I took solace in the fact that it might have been a mistake and spent the $30.00 for the hand regrade. When the letter came back from the MCAT folks, I found out that I had indeed scored a five (no mistake on the scantron). If it would ease your mind, I would go ahead and spend the money for the regrade, but don't think there is a realistic chance that a scoring error was made. Just my opinion though.

5. isidella

I had a VR regrade in April; just wasted more money as my score was indeed, painfully low. Ditto, if is eases your mind, go for it. But if all you want is to ease your mind, that money could also be used to buy bottle of tequila. . . :p

Sorry your score was not what you expected.

6. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    Damn! I'm sorry honey :(

7. so i guess amcas doesn't make mistakes....

has anyone gotten a rescore that changed their score?

8. franklinthedog

franklinthedog Senior Member

i'd love to know that too, ever get a section rescored and the score turned out to be higher?

9. jd star

jd star Senior Member

what i would like to do is sit down with the aamc with my verbal section and the answers and look over their shoulder as they hand-grade it.... because really, if they made a mistake, i really don't think they would admit to it.

10. MD2b06

MD2b06 Senior Member

Most likely scenario is that you had a frame shift mutation (can u tell I've been studying entirely too much biochem??), perhaps accidentally skipped a question thus throwing off the rest of the answers in a couple of sections. If that's the case, rescoring won't solve anything.

11. DO4sure

DO4sure Junior Member

If you think you have problems...listen to what happened to me! My scores from Aug were: 7V 2PS 3BS !!!! I was in complete shock!!!! I have never ever ever ever gotten anything even resembling this before in my life...I have been averaging 7's in the past test but all I can say is I think that I may be a victim of the "frameshift mutation"! I know that I was running out of time when I was filling in my bubbles so I probably screwed up filling them in...I feel terrible but what can I do??? The adcoms are going to think that I am a complete ******!!! All I can do is pray that the adcoms realize that something must have been up that day...:rolleyes:

12. isidella

Whoa, are you gonna apply with a 12? Not that MCAT is everything, but thats a pretty rough score.

13. DO4sure

DO4sure Junior Member

Yeah its rough...believe me I know! But my applications are already in...pray for me!!!:(

14. jd star

jd star Senior Member

so if a rescore isn't gonna do anything, then what will? this happened to me too.... my verbal section went from a 7 in april to a 4 in august, which is weird because i felt so confident about the test and i thought i did really good.... maybe i suffered from a "frame-shift" problem, but what am i supposed to do now? i have an interview from one of my schools set up, but i almost want to call the other schools or write them a letter or something in order to explain that something must have went wrong because i know that i did better than that.

or maybe i should just call up the aamc and yell at them...

last year there was a problem at my school for this one test when they posted the grades.... the teacher skipped one of the scores, so after that person the rest of the class was messed up. is it possible that the aamc could mess up like that is so many of us had this problem?

15. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member

Hi Myeyes... listen I totally understand were you're comming from... the very first time I did the MCAT (1999) I got a 5 in verbal... although it was my fault I only studied for 2 days BUT this summer I studied two months SOLID! sacrificed the whole summer and was averaging 8-11 on verbal guess what? I got a 7!!!! I was so upset! 7,10,10,Q is my score... that 7 really sticks out and upsets me becaues I have already sent my applications in and put in SO MANY HOURS! I felt like crying over the weekend

Anyhow, JDO.. I have a question for you... well first of all sorry to hear about your rough score on the MCAT, yeah probably a 'frameshift mutation' I'm curious though.. how'd the essay section go?

Keep the faith guys
    here is some love:love:

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member

Oh I am sending in a request to rescore first thing tomorrow morning.... you're right... may as well put my mind at ease

18. hey its going to be rough, but eventually persistance and dertermination really pays, good luck!:)
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. DO4sure

DO4sure Junior Member

My essay was an "Q"

20. DO4sure

DO4sure Junior Member

You know I meant a "Q"...I'm really on a roll:confused:

21. Sami335

Sami335 Member

I know what you mean, DO4sure. I was so bummed, I gave up my whole summer studying for the MCAT and was averaging 9-10 on the verbal section, then I took the test and got a 6!!! :confused: My scores were 6V, 8PS 10BS, R on the essay. I'm not even sure what to do anymore, I started filling out some secondaries but I'm wondering if its even worth it to waste my money. :( Oh well, let me know how your rescore turns out.