Should admissions use "LizzyM" score or "UCLA" score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowfeverdude

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCLA is fuc*ing ******ed for multiplying VR by two, I think. "LizzyM" all the way.

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA is fuc*ing ******ed for multiplying VR by two, I think. "LizzyM" all the way.

No school uses a purely formulaic approach to admissions. The non-numerical parts of your application (including LORs, essays, interview, ECs) can make or break you. Undue speculation on whether this or that school uses this or that objective test is likely a waste of time, and should really only be used to get a ballpark notion of where you might be competitive. (And picking up an MSAR is far more useful for this BTW). It is not meaningful in terms of the odds of actually getting admitted. So cool it with the cursing and racism.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm going to refrain from making you look worse than you already do out of courtesy to everyone else here on SDN.

I think the LizzyM score is MCAT + GPAX10 - 1. I think these "scores" are taken a little too seriously by readers of this forum.

The score should be used just for an idea of where one should apply, the score doesn't signify an acceptance, or even an interview. I like to think of it as a "summarized MSAR."

aww, I missed the racism. was it a good one? I haven't seen a good anti-Turkish remark on SDN lately, I hope it was one of those..... sneaky Turks...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to refrain from making you look worse than you already do out of courtesy to everyone else here on SDN.

Don't worry, he already did it himself with all his "yellow fever" posts about "clean Asian girls."

Taken too seriously, but not useless either. They can give you a ballpark of what "range" you're in, but like any single attribute of a person's application, they are going to be limited without the other parts. I think the reason everyone focuses on such scores is that they're tangible, while other things like ECs, LORs, etc. are much more difficult to compare. There's no straightforward number to gauge yourself. That leaves yours numbers as the best place to start getting a feel for where to apply.

I don't care what anybody else says though, those smurfs are a bunch of smug bastards. ;)

why is "yellowfever" not appropriate?
i don't see how someone liking women of a particular race is a racist thing
just wondering

Members don't see this ad :)
why is "yellowfever" not appropriate?
i don't see how someone liking women of a particular race is a racist thing
just wondering
He put other comments there.:thumbdown: Let's just drop this, everyone. Questionable posts are reported to the advisors and moderators and they are reviewed carefully before we go as far as to put someone on probation.

i apologize for bumping such an old thread but is it true that UCLA multiplies verbal by 2? This would make me very happy since I did get me a 12

i apologize for bumping such an old thread but is it true that UCLA multiplies verbal by 2? This would make me very happy since I did get me a 12

Seems unlikely since UCLA's average VR score is ~10, about the same as the national average of those accepted to med school.

I wonder if this gem ever got into medical school...

Seems unlikely since UCLA's average VR score is ~10, about the same as the national average of those accepted to med school.

while Im here, is the VR score actually considered by admission people to be the most important subscore or is that just a myth? I know people have talked about correlations between VR and Step I or something, but would adcoms actually put more weight on it (not necessarily mathematical weight, just mental if that makes sense)

while Im here, is the VR score actually considered by admission people to be the most important subscore or is that just a myth? I know people have talked about correlations between VR and Step I or something, but would adcoms actually put more weight on it (not necessarily mathematical weight, just mental if that makes sense)

My MCAT Bio instructor, who does a lot of premed advising and has contacts with various adcoms, mentioned the same thing to my class .. supposedly, the VR subscore can provide some indication of how well you'll do on your Step 1. Now, how big a factor this is surely varies and may be irrelevant a lot of places. His advice was mainly pushing for the balanced score, and making sure that big science buffs didn't ignore the VR section. E.g. He told us one of his advisees had a 15BS 14PS 6VR and didn't get interviews anywhere ..

He put other comments there.:thumbdown: Let's just drop this, everyone. Questionable posts are reported to the advisors and moderators and they are reviewed carefully before we go as far as to put someone on probation.

...but what were those comments?

haven't read the thread... but if you use these ridiculous scores for anything other than trying to get a VERY general "opinion" on which schools you THINK you might be able to apply to someday, you are nuts...

I now have posts in the same thread spanning >3 years. I find that kind of awesome and kind of sad. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.