Should affirmative action have any role in residency placement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrgoCoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know affirmative action is is real thing effecting medical school admissions. The wide swings in average MCAT/GPA scores are widely studied and it’s obvious you have a major benefit getting into a medical school if you are of a minority race.

Is there any role for affirmative action in residency placement? If not, do you think there should be?

Members don't see this ad.

:corny::corny::corny: x 1000000

1576074804513.png

Reactions: 7 users
Whether or not it "should," it probably does. I know in our program "diversity" of all kinds - primarily racial, but not limited to that - played a very small but nevertheless present part of our ranking process. The impact was small enough that it would be extremely unlikely to meaningfully change who would end up matching at the program.

My guess is that it probably plays a larger role in specialties that are potentially "primary care"-like specialties.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whether or not it "should," it probably does. I know in our program "diversity" of all kinds - primarily racial, but not limited to that - played a very small but nevertheless present part of our ranking process. The impact was small enough that it would be extremely unlikely to meaningfully change who would end up matching at the program.

My guess is that it probably plays a larger role in specialties that are potentially "primary care"-like specialties.
That makes sense, and I think there is a good place for it as you mentioned.

I wonder though, at a top academic program if that is the case.
i probably should have prefaced this with “let’s keep it professional” but it’s SDN and the trolls are lurking.

Reactions: 1 user
We all know affirmative action is is real thing effecting medical school admissions. The wide swings in average MCAT/GPA scores are widely studied and it’s obvious you have a major benefit getting into a medical school if you are of a minority race.

Is there any role for affirmative action in residency placement? If not, do you think there should be?

At least for my school, the average MCAT for minorities is only ~2-3 points lower than our overall class average, pretty small difference if you ask me!

As far as residency, it definitely does help when getting interviews , at least in internal med, my classmates who are URM with similar scores (or a bit lower) got way more T10-20 invites. In my opinion, good for them! Probably will have a negligible impact on me and they had to put up with a lot of **** in life that I didn't.

Why you gotta do this ??? They are many post in the past talking about this. *clicks the watch tab*

Reactions: 4 users

I used to think that affirmative action wasn't a big deal in residency selection, but as I went through the process I realized that it is still a massive advantage for URMs. It's not as drastic as in medical school admissions, but there is an obvious difference in the number and quality of interview invites when comparing equal classmates who are URM and ORM, which I don't think is fair.

Reactions: 1 users
Use the search function.

• Love
Why you gotta do this ??? They are many post in the past talking about this. *clicks the watch tab*
Sometimes it’s nice to get a new thread going. Some of the old ones from years ago have dozens of pages and the conversation is hard to follow. That’s why. If you’ve already read through those and have formed a final opinion, you don’t need to post here

Sometimes it’s nice to get a new thread going. Some of the old ones from years ago have dozens of pages and the conversation is hard to follow. That’s why. If you’ve already read through those and have formed a final opinion, you don’t need to post here
You cant follow a basic thread on the internet ?? Has anything changed to give you the impression that this thread would be different?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think affirmative action should be used to adjudicate attending outcomes.

At what point should we hold people accountable for their own outcomes?

Nooone should know anyone’s race until an interview is offered. Anything else is what the left would call “racist” even though they think not having affirmative action is racist

how that logic was procured beats me

What a sound, well-reasoned argument.
It’s an emotional story attempting to undermine medicine from a few personal interactions. To assume the same doesn’t happen between all races is ludacris.
Refinery 29 also isn’t the best source for legit articles. That would be like a republican trying to quote fox or something from townhall and acting like it’s a fact.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
It’s an emotional story attempting to undermine medicine from a few personal interactions. To assume the same doesn’t happen between all races is ludacris.

Ludacris, you say?

ludacris-4.15.2015.jpg

Ludacris speed would be more appropriate considering your profile pic :cool: