Should DOs take step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Tony T. Chopper

Professional Whippersnapper
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please see title.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it is more important to take because of the merger?

One of many factors yes. The merger levels the field in a bad way for DO’s when it comes to exams. We need to have both USMLE’s when applying to given more equal consideration (not 100% equal), but by having both of them and doing relatively well on them they can easily compare apps with MD’s and have less reasons to screen people out.

Every DO should now absolutely take Step 1 and Step 2 CK, unless you're in dangerous ranges (scoring ~200 or 210-220 respectively).

Reactions: 4 users
YES.

1) You are already taking the time to study for COMLEX level 2, which covers essentially the same materials + some voodoo , might as well take it.

2) You already took 6 or 7 of the NBME shelfs during 3rd year

3) The more data points you have to compare yourself to another candidate, the easier it is for programs to decide on interviewing/ranking/etc

Reactions: 1 users
What about CS and step 3? I understand CS is a money grab, but would not taking the full spectrum of steps keep you out of any potential fellowships/etc?

What about CS and step 3? I understand CS is a money grab, but would not taking the full spectrum of steps keep you out of any potential fellowships/etc?
Level 3/Step 3 is just a checkbox that you have to get done to get your physician license, most take it some time during their Intern year. Nobody cares about Step 3/Level 3 score at that point cause you are already "in", they care that you pass. So the numerical score has no value. At that stage of the training, they care about your In Training Service Exam score for the respective specialty.

IMGs on the other hand, need to take and pass all 3 steps before applying to residency.

So no, thanks goodness, DOs only need to take up to Step 2 CK and complete the 3 COMLEX levels for the full unrestricted physician license. The rest is taken care of by your respective specialty board for board certification exams etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I did take Step 2 CK following some advice from residency decision makers on SDN. Since I am not a decision maker, I cannot explain why it would be important.

In the future there might be more data on DO matches with/without scores, but for now I would recommend to any student that asked to seriously study hard for it during 3rd year. I would warn students that the test is not as easy as some people say; I believe my CK was at least as difficult as step 1 despite content differences.

I did take Step 2 CK following some advice from residency decision makers on SDN. Since I am not a decision maker, I cannot explain why it would be important.

In the future there might be more data on DO matches with/without scores, but for now I would recommend to any student that asked to seriously study hard for it during 3rd year. I would warn students that the test is not as easy as some people say; I believe my CK was at least as difficult as step 1 despite content differences.

Do you feel like studying for NBME shelfs or doing above average on them translates to performance potential on CK?

A very few fellowships require CS and Step 3, but it’s essentially code for “we don’t accept DOs anyway.” Step 1 and CK are sufficient.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you feel like studying for NBME shelfs or doing above average on them translates to performance potential on CK?

Our school takes comats. I don't believe those are representative. I did use the same study formula for those as what several have recommended for shelves on this forum. I did a ton of UW which was fairly representative of the form of questions on CK.