should HPSP recipients still fill out FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not unless you are going to try and take out loans...

Go ahead and do it, especially if you are just now receiving the hpsp...it can take a few weeks to get some of the money from the military but the dental suppliers for your kits and stuff won't always wait so you may need to temporarily take out a loan until you get reimbursed. My advice, get a cashback credit card to put all your kits and supplies on, then pay it off immediately if you can or get reimbursed and pay it back off. I pay every bill possible with mine and then pay it off immediately, the 1.5%-2% cashback adds up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go ahead and do it, especially if you are just now receiving the hpsp...it can take a few weeks to get some of the money from the military but the dental suppliers for your kits and stuff won't always wait so you may need to temporarily take out a loan until you get reimbursed. My advice, get a cashback credit card to put all your kits and supplies on, then pay it off immediately if you can or get reimbursed and pay it back off. I pay every bill possible with mine and then pay it off immediately, the 1.5%-2% cashback adds up.
Thank you!

FAFSA with parental income qualifies you for some special subsidized loans for low income (poverty level?). But your school has a budget for it and considering that you're on scholarship they would never award them to you in the first place.

So without parental info FAFSA takes like what minutes to fill out?
No risk no harm so might as well.

But even if armed forces are late with your payment (which is almost a guarantee? ), stuff gets charged to your account so late fee doesnt matter at my school since the fin aid office knows.

I don't know if I had the option of charging instruments to my credit card because of how the way my school handles billing. If I had the instrument bill with my credit card, then it would never be charged to my school account. If it's never charged to my school account, the military wouldn't pay for it... Plus we're talking about 10k here. I wasn't going to risk getting 20 dollars back to try to dispute 10k of charges with the military. It takes forever to get regular reimbursement as is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
FAFSA with parental income qualifies you for some special subsidized loans for low income (poverty level?). But your school has a budget for it and considering that you're on scholarship they would never award them to you in the first place.

So without parental info FAFSA takes like what minutes to fill out?
No risk no harm so might as well.

But even if armed forces are late with your payment (which is almost a guarantee? ), stuff gets charged to your account so late fee doesnt matter at my school since the fin aid office knows.

I don't know if I had the option of charging instruments to my credit card because of how the way my school handles billing. If I had the instrument bill with my credit card, then it would never be charged to my school account. If it's never charged to my school account, the military wouldn't pay for it... Plus we're talking about 10k here. I wasn't going to risk getting 20 dollars back to try to dispute 10k of charges with the military. It takes forever to get regular reimbursement as is.

As long as your kit is from the distributor your school uses you won't have any issues in getting reimbursed. Some schools might charge for the kits with the tuition, in which case the school just sends the military the bill, but all our kits are billed directly to us from henry schein so the only way we can pay for them is with a card or check.

As long as your kit is from the distributor your school uses you won't have any issues in getting reimbursed. Some schools might charge for the kits with the tuition, in which case the school just sends the military the bill, but all our kits are billed directly to us from henry schein so the only way we can pay for them is with a card or check.
so if you pay your kit with a credit card or check, how do you get that reimbursed?

so if you pay your kit with a credit card or check, how do you get that reimbursed?
same way you file for any reimbursement. You pay upfront and you request reimbursement

fill out a few paperwork. get proof of purchase, an itemized receipt, proof you need it. idk which specific forms the navy needs though. I got emailed instructions on how to do through my branch of service

It takes about 6-8 weeks for the money to come through. So either make sure you have sufficient fund in your bank account to do that, or open up an interest-free 12 months credit card. Otherwise holding 10 grand or so at cc apr is gonna murder you lol. The military will reimburse you for the full amount charged by the kit distributor, but all interest accumulated on your card is on you

same way you file for any reimbursement. You pay upfront and you request reimbursement

fill out a few paperwork. get proof of purchase, an itemized receipt, proof you need it. idk which specific forms the navy needs though. I got emailed instructions on how to do through my branch of service

It takes about 6-8 weeks for the money to come through. So either make sure you have sufficient fund in your bank account to do that, or open up an interest-free 12 months credit card. Otherwise holding 10 grand or so at cc apr is gonna murder you lol. The military will reimburse you for the full amount charged by the kit distributor, but all interest accumulated on your card is on you

Yeah with the kits you don't really have to have proof you need it, nor does it need to be itemized. They know it's a required kit and we don't control what is in those kits, just have to show them where you paid for it. Every reimbursement I've gotten with the Navy has been 2-3 weeks tops from the moment I submit it, but my Army friends say it tends to take them a little longer. Holding that amount on a credit card can bite you if you don't pay it quick, my rate with my cards are 7-9% so it's not bad if I have to hold it on there a week or two after the statement is sent. Even with a high interest rate of 12% and a $10,000 kit, waiting one month to pay that off would cost an extra $100. With the capital one quicksilver for example though you get 1.5% cash back, so that's $150 on that $10,000 kit. Still coming out on top if it takes you a month to 6 weeks to get your reimbursement back. Important thing is requesting it asap.

Yeah with the kits you don't really have to have proof you need it, nor does it need to be itemized. They know it's a required kit and we don't control what is in those kits, just have to show them where you paid for it. Every reimbursement I've gotten with the Navy has been 2-3 weeks tops from the moment I submit it, but my Army friends say it tends to take them a little longer. Holding that amount on a credit card can bite you if you don't pay it quick, my rate with my cards are 7-9% so it's not bad if I have to hold it on there a week or two after the statement is sent. Even with a high interest rate of 12% and a $10,000 kit, waiting one month to pay that off would cost an extra $100. With the capital one quicksilver for example though you get 1.5% cash back, so that's $150 on that $10,000 kit. Still coming out on top if it takes you a month to 6 weeks to get your reimbursement back. Important thing is requesting it asap.
Haha you have really good rates.

My quicksilver card is at 20% APR : p
That's about 16.7% monthly interest

Did you manage to have Schien charge the whole $10,000 onto one card or multiple card? My highest credit line on a single account is only $5,500 :oops:

Yeah with the kits you don't really have to have proof you need it, nor does it need to be itemized. .

This is Navy specific. If you are Army, you will need an itemized list of what is included plus a receipt.

All this line of conversation. And, pardon me if this sounds condescending, I know that I'm literally speaking to those with four years of higher education here but, a receipt is proof of payment. The invoice you get from Schien or wherever, is NOT a receipt - it's a bill. I would be very wealthy if I had a dollar for every time someone turns in the invoice for their kit, loupes, books, practice teeth - you name it instead of proof of payment and then their reimbursement gets delayed...

This is Navy specific. If you are Army, you will need an itemized list of what is included plus a receipt.

All this line of conversation. And, pardon me if this sounds condescending, I know that I'm literally speaking to those with four years of higher education here but, a receipt is proof of payment. The invoice you get from Schien or wherever, is NOT a receipt - it's a bill. I would be very wealthy if I had a dollar for every time someone turns in the invoice for their kit, loupes, books, practice teeth - you name it instead of proof of payment and then their reimbursement gets delayed...

Yeah I agree with that and not surprised that people send that thinking it's good enough. I just send them the invoice with a "paid" stamp on it with our rep's signature, and a copy of my credit card bill showing where I paid it. It's the only thing I have for proof but never had any issues or delays.

Haha you have really good rates.

My quicksilver card is at 20% APR : p
That's about 16.7% monthly interest

Did you manage to have Schien charge the whole $10,000 onto one card or multiple card? My highest credit line on a single account is only $5,500 :oops:

So we have a henry schein "store" at our school, it's basically our rep that's at the school every day all day with a bunch of commonly ordered items that we can just go downstairs and buy if we need them that day. She is the one that runs our cards and she would split it up however we needed to. If you use Henry Schein for your kits then I'm sure your rep would do that too, just email them and ask. I think I may have done that my first time too and I just called and gave them the two card numbers over the phone.

My rates are pretty good cause I was fortunate to be a "co-signer" on some of my dad's car loans growing up so it gave me a good history. Pretty much any credit card these days will have a free credit tracker and show you the different grades you get for the difference categories of how your credit is calculated. Just pay attention to it and try to get each category in the A range. For example, my longest history of a "credit account" is from a loan my mom took out my freshman year of undergrad for my school. She gave me the money to pay it off a couple years ago but instead of paying it all off I left $100 on it so it keeps me in the A grade for "longest open account". If I had paid it all off I would have dropped to the C grade and probably dropped my score 100 points. Things like that you just need to pay attention to to keep your credit score as high as possible.

Last edited: