should I accept this research position or keep looking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuagexrose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for your opinions here.

I asked a couple professors at the local university near my hometown if I could do research with them just for the summer.
Only one replied with a yes. He seems very receptive toward giving me actual responsibility (it seems as if I'll have my own project), and he's also going to possibly pay me an hourly wage.

Catch is, the research topic is on algae and plants of the sort, and while it's bearable, it's not really my cup of tea. I'm more interested in cell biology / animal / medical research.

This guy needs a reply soon though, so should I just accept this opportunity, (which is really sweet) or try to find something that fits my interests better?

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Why'd you email him in the first place if you're debating whether or not to accept his job?

I'd accept it. It's a paying job AND you'll actually be doing real research. Win-win.

Oh right, I should address that.
His faculty website listed outdated projects that were more about cells and what not, but he's switched his focused to plants now, and I wasn't aware until I exchanged e-mails with him.

Eh, I came to the realization that it's just for a summer, and who knows, I may be more interested in it than I think.
Do med schools distinguish amongst the different types of research though?

Can you please share how you approached and introduced yourself to these professors? Would it be too late to start searching now for this summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes do it. Its unlikely you'll find the "perfect" job anyway. I'm working as an RA and am currently interviewing undergrads for intern positions. In 2 days we got over 20 resumes, all for qualified applicants who could obviously do the tasks we ask of them. At the end of the day, there are just too few opportunities and too many people begging for them. Take what you have and be happy.

Look it this way: research, a job that fits nicely on your medical school application, or McDonald's, which is just a job.

Oh right, I should address that.
His faculty website listed outdated projects that were more about cells and what not, but he's switched his focused to plants now, and I wasn't aware until I exchanged e-mails with him.

Eh, I came to the realization that it's just for a summer, and who knows, I may be more interested in it than I think.
Do med schools distinguish amongst the different types of research though?
Med schools care that you did scientific research. It won't be a "ding" at all on your application that you didn't do something 100% focused on human medicine. Heck, research isn't even a requirement for admission (assuming you aren't MD/PhD hopeful, in which case you would need a lot more than a summer project anyway) so any project is a plus. Take the job, be thankful for the pay, and you will probably learn many things about the field that you never even imagined.

I'd take it; you might find that as you get more involved in the project, you start to like it more. Also, getting into something that is more human medicine-related is easier if you have at least some lab experience.