Should I accept (to matriculate) or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yardddddddddd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Is there a thing with accepting one school and withdrawing all other schools too early? Like if we hold out for a bit, would we be able to gather some scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

Holding acceptances at schools you are not planning to attend is not nice to those on the waitlist, like me :D

Holding acceptances at schools you are not planning to attend is not nice to those on the waitlist, like me :D

No no no, that's not what I'm saying, I am talking about the school I want to go to. Should I take it or hold out on it to maybe received some scholarships later, or does that even matter. I am not holding on any schools that I do not wish to attend

Members don't see this ad :)
You should always take acceptances as they're offered to you. You can hold multiple acceptances until some time in the spring.

You should always take acceptances as they're offered to you. You can hold multiple acceptances until some time in the spring.

Yes, I have done that, I am talking about matriculating, like "accepting" it as that is the school I am going to in the fall (idk what the correct term is). Should I do that now or wait a little to see if I get anymore finances

Matriculating is the act of actually starting school at a place.

You're basically just asking if you should withdraw from everywhere else or not. I'd say hold on to other places. The only thing I started doing after acceptances is withdrawing from places I would absolutely not go, or turning down interviews from places I wouldn't go to.

Matriculating is the act of actually starting school at a place.

You're basically just asking if you should withdraw from everywhere else or not. I'd say hold on to other places. The only thing I started doing after acceptances is withdrawing from places I would absolutely not go, or turning down interviews from places I wouldn't go to.

ah ok...so there's actually no next level of "accepting"

You should just pay the fee to hold your seat. You will have until May 15 to decide if you want to matriculate there. If you get multiple acceptances, pay those fees to hold your seat as well. Come May 15th, you should be able to compare your financial aid packages (fill out your FAFSA) and see what kind of scholarships you are getting. With that being said, you can then go to the particular school you are interested in matriculating at and show them that "so and so school" offered you this much amount of money, what can you do for me? Since you have multiple acceptances, you can now do the bargaining.

You should just pay the fee to hold your seat. You will have until May 15 to decide if you want to matriculate there. If you get multiple acceptances, pay those fees to hold your seat as well. Come May 15th, you should be able to compare your financial aid packages (fill out your FAFSA) and see what kind of scholarships you are getting. With that being said, you can then go to the particular school you are interested in matriculating at and show them that "so and so school" offered you this much amount of money, what can you do for me? Since you have multiple acceptances, you can now do the bargaining.

Ok thanks!