Should I add a few more schools? No IIs yet.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysera555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a reapplicant from a previous cycle and have applied to a few DO schools. I was wondering if I even stand a chance at these schools or if I should add more to my list to increase my chances of matriculating somewhere. I have not received any II's yet.

I have ~3.5cGpa, ~3.3sGpa, 503 MCAT.
  • LECOM-B—Secondary Submitted Mid July
  • LECOM—Secondary Submitted Mid July
  • NOVA—Secondary Submitted Late July
  • PCOM-GA—Secondary Submitted- Early August
  • MARIAN—Secondary Submitted-Late July
  • LMU DEBUSK—Secondary Submitted- Late July
  • WESTERN—Secondary Submitted- Early August
  • ACOM—Secondary Submitted-Early August
  • TOURO NEVADA Secondary Submitted-Early August
  • WVSOM—Secondary Submitted-Early August

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is still early. You should get some attention soon. However, best piece of advice I have ever received on this forum: apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am a reapplicant from a previous cycle and have applied to a few DO schools. I was wondering if I even stand a chance at these schools or if I should add more to my list to increase my chances of matriculating somewhere. I have not received any II's yet.

I have ~3.5cGpa, ~3.3sGpa, 503 MCAT.
  • LECOM-B—Secondary Submitted Mid July
  • LECOM—Secondary Submitted Mid July
  • NOVA—Secondary Submitted Late July
  • PCOM-GA—Secondary Submitted- Early August
  • MARIAN—Secondary Submitted-Late July
  • LMU DEBUSK—Secondary Submitted- Late July
  • WESTERN—Secondary Submitted- Early August
  • ACOM—Secondary Submitted-Early August
  • TOURO NEVADA Secondary Submitted-Early August
  • WVSOM—Secondary Submitted-Early August
I'm in a similar position (3.6/3.6 505 II: goose egg), I'm not worried yet, I think we will get some soon. The majority of the people who I have seen get the IIs so far have had MD numbers. Just my optomistic take on it..

Too early to be worried. From what I understand, the DO admissions season is quite long.

I have similar stats to yours. I think its just the waiting game from here but you could also add some newer schools to your list.

Definitely apply more broadly! People are already getting interview invites at some schools.

My personal fav: RVUCOM-Colorado

you should try some new schools too since your gpa is low and your MCAT doesn't stand out. Maybe try CUSOM?

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you really have anything to worry about yet. Adding more schools is your decision. Maybe choose a few of the newer ones? BCOM, UIW, VCOM-Auburn...?

I'm no expert, but here's my two cents:

I feel like, like most people have said, it's still early and you have nothing to worry about. Especially with your stats (they're good). As long as your essays were decent and you have good clinical experience you should be fine IMO. The only thing I would say is I know the Touro's tend to favor high MCAT scores. That's all.

If you're looking for more schools to apply to, the VCOMs may be a good idea for you. I've heard they're more concerned with gpa's, and with your 3.5 cgpa a decent sgpa you may appeal to them.

Reactions: 1 users
@DrMikeP
Question! How does it affect me if I don't have a DO letter, but instead an MD letter from a PCP that I work full time for? I've tried calling the DO's in my area, and most aren't able to take any students to shadow at the moment.

Last edited:
Question! How does it affect me if I don't have a DO letter, but instead an MD letter from a PCP that I work full time for? I've tried calling the DO's in my area, and most aren't able to take any students to shadow at the moment.

That is school dependent. Some DO schools want any physician letter and some need a DO letter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
@DrMikeP

It's school dependent on if it's a requirement. However, also think of how having an extra point on the mcat might would help you. If you are on the borderline of getting in or if it's a choice between you and another candidate it could make all the difference. The biggest difference I've seen is that those with DO shadowing experience have something to talk about that earns them points in essays and interviews.

My advice is GET ONE! There are very few things you can control in this process through nothing more than straight forward effort. Contact a nearby school or state osteopathic association and see if they have a list of drs, keep calling practitioners, if there is a DO on ur health insurance schedule an appointment and ask or ask if he/she knows anyone, etc. There are dozens of suggestions on SDN about how to get one and it may be a challenge but it is possible and can help separate you from those who don't. Even if you don't have it now having it along the way could push you over the border and get you an interview or acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user