Should I add anymore schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandyman237

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.56 scGPA: 3.69
MCAT 1: 28 (10,8,10)
MCAT 2 :513 (130, 125, 131, 127)

Good ECs and have a committee letter from a good private school.
White male, FL reseident

My list:
Miami
FAU
FIU
FSU
USF
UCF
UF
Wake Forest
VCU
Georgetown (#1 choice, went to Christian school my whole life)
The Commonwealth
Emory
Drexel
Brown (family went to Brown)
EVMS
Stony Brook
Duke (big reach)
Mayo (huge reach I know but i love this school)
NYMC
Penn State
Vermont
UVA
Rush
Medical College of Wisconsin

Should I add a few more low/ mid tier or wait it out?

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to add that I am also a non-trad currently taking my one and only gap year.
I'm currently working as a research associate for a huge hospital and volunteering at a childrens hospital on the weekends.

Being from Florida (great state for MD applicants...) your list is very solid. I wouldn't bother to add more schools at this point, with a good list already done.

Sit back and start praying with the rest of us.

Edit: you mention that religious med schools are appealing to you. Look at Loma Linda, if you haven't already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being from Florida (great state for MD applicants...) your list is very solid. I wouldn't bother to add more schools at this point, with a good list already done.

Sit back and start praying with the rest of us.

Edit: you mention that religious med schools are appealing to you. Look at Loma Linda, if you haven't already.

Thanks for the feedback! I was going to add Loma linda, but I really do not see myself going there.

The waiting game is so nerve racking. Seeing all these II's being sent out just makes it worse. I just want to receive an II instead of checking the portals everyday to see "Review in Progress" or "Secondary Application Complete". Good luck this cycle!

Minor point I'll just briefly add is that Fl definitely isn't what I'd call a great state for MD applicants.

But yeah general point stands; your list will suffice OP. You have 9 OOS lower tiers you have a realistic shot at interviewing for. That combined with your state schools should suffice.

If your paranoid you could add a couple more if you want: Quinnipac, Oakland, Tulane Creighton, Saint Louis, Tufts, Jefferson, Rosalind, Western Michigan, GW, Albany come to mind. But all in all I think you'll do alright.

Minor point I'll just briefly add is that Fl definitely isn't what I'd call a great state for MD applicants.
When you have 7 MD schools and an in-state school that averages a 28 MCAT, I'd call that pretty damn great.

When you have 7 MD schools and an in-state school that averages a 28 MCAT, I'd call that pretty damn great.

1) Only 22% of Fl applicants matriculate IS(which is pretty mediocre compared to other states especially in the south).
2) Out of those 7 schools not even one of them interviews 20% of IS applicants(and 20% isn't even close to a high cut off at all MANY states have at least one school that interviews around 30% of IS applicants. Even perceived unlucky states like Maryland have state schools that hand out II's to more than 20% of applicants I believe to give some perspective).
3) Everybody loves citing FSU's low MCAT average without realizing how many Fl applicants apply for only 120 spots: I believe only like 1/7 even get a II.
4) The problem with Fl is that there are TONs of applicants applying from there to their state schools and their schools are all pretty small on top of that. Combine those two things and I wouldn't call that a great state at all.

But regardless, it's besides the point(I ended up un-quotting you in the inital post because I didn't want to start some debate over something so trivial but it turns out you responded before the change went through). OP's fine, that's the bottom line.

But yeah general point stands; your list will suffice OP. You have 9 OOS lower tiers you have a realistic shot at interviewing for. That combined with your state schools should suffice.

If your paranoid you could add a couple more if you want: Quinnipac, Oakland, Tulane Creighton, Saint Louis, Tufts, Jefferson, Rosalind, Western Michigan, GW, Albany come to mind. But all in all I think you'll do alright.

Do you think that it is a bit too late to apply to any of those schools you just mentioned? I've read in other threads that most consider early September to be quite late. If not I may add GW to my list, as I have family that lives close.

Do you think that it is a bit too late to apply to any of those schools you just mentioned? I've read in other threads that most consider early September to be quite late. If not I may add GW to my list, as I have family that lives close.

Adding primaries in september is a bit late. If you get secondaries in ASAP I think you'll be ok. At the worst it can't hurt. Like I said though your list is probably ok so it's not entirely necessary.