Should I add more OOS middle-tier-schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I'm a Texas resident who's going to apply in summer 09. Here are some facts of mine:

-A senior in a public college
-Biochem major
-not an URM (actually I'm an "O"RM if it matters)
-4.0cGPA
-15P/15B/10V
-typical(but not impressive) ECs: volunteering(clinical/non-clincial), shadowing, research for 2 yrs with 1 publication, some clubs...

So I'm planning to apply to all Texas MD schools, and I am also planning to apply to some top-tier schools(maybe around 8-10).
My question is : Should I add some middle tier schools to make sure that I get in? And if so, which and how many of them should I apply?

As $$ and time are limited, I cannot apply to every school =]

Thank you and I'd really appreciate your help!

-Longhorn09

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should be fine. If you can spend the extra money, it can't hurt. But I'm sure a Texas school will accept you if not a top 20.

Nice MCAT and GPA, they match lol 4.0/40.

I can't imagine that you won't be able to get into one of your state schools.
Only suggestion I have is to try applying at Baylor also (I believe they have some in-state preference). It's always good to have 3-4 safety schools as well. Just pick out some schools where your GPA and MCAT are above average, but in places that you wouldn't mind living and/or with schools that sound like they might fit your goals. If that's Boston, then fine. If it's Atlanta, GA, then fine. If it's St. Louis, then fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you need to worry about adding any more schools, you'll get into at least one Texas school. Great job in undergrad, hook 'em :horns:

I don't think you need to worry about adding any more schools, you'll get into at least one Texas school. Great job in undergrad, hook 'em :horns:
Hook 'em Horn!! =]
Are you also going to apply this year? What's your strategy?

I applied last year and will be starting med school this fall. Dunno where yet, but hopefully it'll be in Texas.

I think you will be in great shape, but adding a couple more schools will be beneficial if for nothing more than your personal comfort in that you'd have an acceptance somewhere and not leave everything up to your numbers: higher ranked schools are pretty unpredictable sometimes.