Should I add more schools? Is it too late to do so?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cuongoff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was thinking that I might not be getting many II's this cycle so I wanted to add some more schools but I'm not sure if doing it now might be too late. I stuck with the east coast but I'm thinking I might have to spread my options out a bit. So I have 3 IIs and have been rejected from 2 schools. Any schools on the east coast/ mid west-ish that I should add? I have fee waiver for AMCAS.

My Stats:
MCAT: 30R VR-9, PS-9, BS-12
cGPA: 3.54
sGPA: 3.63
President of BBB, a biological honors society
Co-president of the Green Team (~35 hours nonclinical volunteering, with over 500 hours invested into the club)
Intern/volunteer at a free clinic (~150 hours and currently writing a proposal for the clinic to obtain retinal screening cameras for diabetic retinopathy)
(just got a scribing position at another free clinic but I don't think I can add that to my application)
Volunteered at a hospital (~105 hours)
Organic chemistry research for a semester
Neuroscience research Jan 2012-present
I've shadowed over 100 hours, including MD and DO.
Will be starting a research project that will let me get published as a co-author.

MD Schools:
Albany Medical College
Boston University School of Medicine (Rejected)
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Howard University (Didn't apply)
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College (Rejected)
Morehouse School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (II)
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
West Virginia University School of Medicine

DO Schools:
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine -Virginia Campus, VA (II)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA (II)
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT, NY
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY (Not done w/ secondary)
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - School of Osteopathic Medicine, NJ (not done with secondary)
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV (II)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And I never received my copy of the MSAR. I had already registered for the MCAT so I don't know if that affected it or not.

And I never received my copy of the MSAR. I had already registered for the MCAT so I don't know if that affected it or not.

If you received a FAP they give you one for free; otherwise, you have to buy access to it online (not sure if they send out hard copies anymore). If you did receive FAP log online using AMCAS login on MSAR webpage. Add more schools if you think you can afford it and would consider going. It's still early in the process too.

NYMC, SUNYs?, Stony Brook, Wake Forest (NC), more Penn schools, University of Louisville, Saint Louis, Ohio schools.

Most schools have rolling admissions but you will never know unless you apply. Because you are already verified, you only need to wait on a secondary and can return it fairly quickly. Good luck fellow applicant!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I never figured out how to access it.

If you received a FAP they give you one for free; otherwise, you have to buy access to it online (not sure if they send out hard copies anymore). If you did receive FAP log online using AMCAS login on MSAR webpage. Add more schools if you think you can afford it and would consider going. It's still early in the process too.

NYMC, SUNYs?, Stony Brook, Wake Forest (NC), more Penn schools, University of Louisville, Saint Louis, Ohio schools.

Most schools have rolling admissions but you will never know unless you apply. Because you are already verified, you only need to wait on a secondary and can return it fairly quickly. Good luck fellow applicant!

I was thinking of adding Virginia Tech Carillion SOM, Marshal University SOM in WV, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, The Commonwealth Medical College, Cooper Medical School.

Any advice on prejudices for oos (I'm from VA) or whether or not I should apply to these schools?

Glad I could help! I'm not sure of prejudices against OOS. Apply to all your state schools and check the stats for interviews given to OOS for each school. That's what I did. I applied to TCMC and I was considering Jefferson but I don't have the numbers. I remember them having 40%+ favorability.

I'm hardly qualified to speak here, but I think with the number of DO programs you applied to, you're basically a shoe-in for acceptance.

However, if you are really gunning for an MD acceptance, it wouldn't hurt to add a few. That being said, I think your chances are pretty good.

Yea, I'm fine with getting a DO degree but I really want to exhaust my chances at getting an MD.

I'm also looking to do neuroscience research and a lot of the DO schools don't do it. I figure MD schools will have more neuroscience research opportunities.

I'm hardly qualified to speak here, but I think with the number of DO programs you applied to, you're basically a shoe-in for acceptance.

However, if you are really gunning for an MD acceptance, it wouldn't hurt to add a few. That being said, I think your chances are pretty good.