Should I add schools this late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jas1360

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied DO and MD this cycle. I am considering adding a couple more DO schools but I'm not sure which schools would actually look at my file this late in the cycle.

MCAT 10V 10P 11B
GPA s>3.5 c>3.4 (my mdapps. gpa was the AMCAS calculation not the AACOMAS)

1 year research, brain and spinal cord injury
Lots of volunteering
Shadowed DO
Hospital volunteer
Search and Rescue
Tutoring students with disabilities

So do you think it would be worth adding any DO applications? Which schools should I add?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have good stats, you would make a strong candidate for DO schools but it is also very late so get your stuff in quickly. I notice you are from Kentucky, you could apply to University of Pikeville - KCOM...and other schools you are interested in attending that do not have specific geographic preferences which would be against you.

You have good stats, you would make a strong candidate for DO schools but it is also very late so get your stuff in quickly. I notice you are from Kentucky, you could apply to University of Pikeville - KCOM...and other schools you are interested in attending that do not have specific geographic preferences which would be against you.

Yes, as far as getting my stuff in, since I already applied, I would only need to complete the secondaries.

I have considered Pikeville in fact, I shadowed a DO who is a graduate from there. I still am considering them but my spouse is not totally on board with living in that area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, as far as getting my stuff in, since I already applied, I would only need to complete the secondaries.

I have considered Pikeville in fact, I shadowed a DO who is a graduate from there. I still am considering them but my spouse is not totally on board with living in that area.

You are competitive at most DO schools but it's late and they might be getting more selective now. Feel free to add some. Where did you already apply?

You are competitive at most DO schools but it's late and they might be getting more selective now. Feel free to add some. Where did you already apply?

I already applied to MSUCOM, Rocky Vista, and Campbell, back at the beginning of the cycle.

Any particular reasoning behind those schools? MSU doesn't pull heavily from out of state and tuition is insane. RVU and Campbell you would have a shot at I think,

If I were you applying at the beginning of the cycle I would have had KCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, KCUMB, DMU, and any of the state schools you wanted to take a shot on in the mix. Because it's so late in the cycle I have no idea whether or not to add to those schools or not.

Your stats are good for DO schools, it's just getting pretty late now. Still time though. I personally would avoid Pikeville if I were you. They would salivate over the chance to get you in their class though I would think..

Any particular reasoning behind those schools? MSU doesn't pull heavily from out of state and tuition is insane. RVU and Campbell you would have a shot at I think,

If I were you applying at the beginning of the cycle I would have had KCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, KCUMB, DMU, and any of the state schools you wanted to take a shot on in the mix. Because it's so late in the cycle I have no idea whether or not to add to those schools or not.

Your stats are good for DO schools, it's just getting pretty late now. Still time though. I personally would avoid Pikeville if I were you. They would salivate over the chance to get you in their class though I would think..

I have lived in Colorado and Michigan, which is why I choose those two. I have family in the Carolinas so that's why I choose Campbell. I only picked three to begin with because that is how many the fee assistance program allows for. I'm thinking I'll probably just save my money, but I also really want to start next fall.

It would only be worth applying this late if I knew the schools were not full or would give me real consideration.

I have lived in Colorado and Michigan, which is why I choose those two. I have family in the Carolinas so that's why I choose Campbell. I only picked three to begin with because that is how many the fee assistance program allows for. I'm thinking I'll probably just save my money, but I also really want to start next fall.

It would only be worth applying this late if I knew the schools were not full or would give me real consideration.

VCOM Virginia or Carolinas campus might be an option. Also maybe PCOM's georgia campus but that is a little farther from the carolinas probably. You could call their offices and ask them for an honest evaluation of your chances if you applied at this point/how close to full they are.

Also LMU-DCOM is over in Harrogate, TN which might not be a million miles from home for you?

Also LMU-DCOM is over in Harrogate, TN which might not be a million miles from home for you?

Thank you, I am fine with moving far away. I have travelled all over and I actually look forward to opportunities to live in new places.

I would recommend calling the schools you're interested in adding and seeing if their class is getting very full or not. Go from there on which to apply to right now, because stats wise you can be comfortable applying to any DO school essentially. Hopefully Louisville works out for you. Good luck!

I would recommend calling the schools you're interested in adding and seeing if their class is getting very full or not. Go from there on which to apply to right now, because stats wise you can be comfortable applying to any DO school essentially. Hopefully Louisville works out for you. Good luck!

Thank you, I'm really hoping for Louisville and MSUCOM. I feel like I have a shot but the closer we get to May, the more I worry about it.

I just wanted to update. I decided not to add any more schools so that I could save that money.

I think it was a good choice because I recently got interviews at both RVU and Campbell and I made the wait list at MSUCOM. So over the next three weeks I will be traveling to Michigan for the second look, and Colorado and North Carolina for my interviews. I am glad I have that application money to spend on traveling.

It's real late, but I'd be surprised if you didn't get an acceptance this cycle with what you've already applied to.