Should I allow AAMC to be notified that I receive assistance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joe7456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends. During the course of college I have recieved the federal pel grant. Additionally, I have recieved the Fee Assistance program for applying to MD schools. I guess the trend has been that higher socioeconomic students get into school, whereas lower class do not make it as much. If I report these financial aids to the AAMC would this negatively affect my application?

Additionally, Should I or Should I Not include a subtle description of growing up on the lower socioeconomic side of society in my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you try to hide that from the AAMC? Just tell the truth and answer all the questions they ask you truthfully. You can't go wrong by doing that.

As for your personal statement, include your experience if it ties into why you want to pursue medicine. If it doesn't tie in, don't force it. In other words, if you're pursuing medicine because you were underserved as a kid and want to help fill that physician gap in underserved communities/groups, then it's fully consistent with your narrative - in fact, it would be weird not to include it. But if your motivation to pursue medicine developed because you did research and you want to advance medicine through research in the future, it's not advisable to just add a few sentences at the end like "oh, and btw, I'm poor." It would look out of place then.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I just posted in your other thread as well... looks like we have very similar lives. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about this topic or the married one any more.

AMCAS asks several different things that get at this - did you ever receive aid programs (like food stamps or free lunch), how much of your college education was paid by loans vs need aid vs merit aid, do you consider yourself to be from disadvantaged background, etc. Just be honest throughout.