nabilesmail

7+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys! I was searching for some advice on my application.

I'll be taking the MCAT on May 31st. I'm in my last month studying for this test but i also have to do so many other things to get my application ready. For example, I have one last final on tuesday, I got accepted to a shadowing program thats from may 14-may 18 10 hours a day, and I only have about 80 volunteering hours or so.

My initial plan was to volunteer every day 5 hrs/day( mon-fr) + study for my mcat until may 31st (except for those 5 days for that shadowing opportunity in which i would not volunteer). Then I would volunteer 5 hrs/day 5 days a week while doing my application and writing my personal statement until mid june. I'll submit to get everything verified by the time my mcat score comes out on july 4th and hopefully still be considered on the earlier side. This would give me a total of 150 volunteering hours + 75 shadowing hours (I have 30 from before).

So I was thinking what if I submitted my application at the end of june rather than mid june. I would then take out 2 weeks of volunteering this month and have those extra 2 weeks done next month before I apply. Ultimately this will allow me more precious time for my mcat (I'm already scoring decently well - 34ish- but I really want to fine tune things more and do more practice), it will give me more than 2 weeks to work on my personal statement and application as well. and I will have the same amount of hours done on my application.

Would this be worth it? If I submit my application at the end of June and get my mcat back july 4th, how does that fare on a time scale?

Thanks!!

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys! I was searching for some advice on my application.

I'll be taking the MCAT on May 31st. I'm in my last month studying for this test but i also have to do so many other things to get my application ready. For example, I have one last final on tuesday, I got accepted to a shadowing program thats from may 14-may 18 10 hours a day, and I only have about 80 volunteering hours or so.

My initial plan was to volunteer every day 5 hrs/day( mon-fr) + study for my mcat until may 31st (except for those 5 days for that shadowing opportunity in which i would not volunteer). Then I would volunteer 5 hrs/day 5 days a week while doing my application and writing my personal statement until mid june. I'll submit to get everything verified by the time my mcat score comes out on july 4th and hopefully still be considered on the earlier side. This would give me a total of 150 volunteering hours + 75 shadowing hours (I have 30 from before).

So I was thinking what if I submitted my application at the end of june rather than mid june. I would then take out 2 weeks of volunteering this month and have those extra 2 weeks done next month before I apply. Ultimately this will allow me more precious time for my mcat (I'm already scoring decently well - 34ish- but I really want to fine tune things more and do more practice), it will give me more than 2 weeks to work on my personal statement and application as well. and I will have the same amount of hours done on my application.

Would this be worth it? If I submit my application at the end of June and get my mcat back july 4th, how does that fare on a time scale?

Thanks!!

If it helps your application, YES. Honestly, there isn't really a difference between sending it mid June and end of June. That's just the gunners talking.

As long as you send it before mid July, you're considered EXTREMELY early. Even then, I don't think the timing of your application has a huge impact until August, when some schools actually start to look through the applications. Most are on vacation during June and July or have other things to do.

Just do what you have to do and send it in before the end of July, to be safe. The end of June should be no problem.

Nov 14, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't see how it's going to really affect your application if you submit at the end of June, especially considering the fact that your MCAT scores won't be available until the start of July. It's been my understanding that the vast majority of schools don't really look at your app. until it's complete (with MCAT scores, submitted transcripts, LORs, etc.). If someone has more info and wants to correct me on that, please do.
All that aside, my pre-med advisor told me the other day she's just advising all her students to make sure they get their application in by the end of June to be considered on the earlyish side of the cycle.

EBTrailRunner

7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
These next two months sound stressful for you, but it's good you have a plan of attack. A late June application is still considered an early application. I didn't submit my application until July 1 and I can tell you that my application cycle worked out well. Use those 2 additional weeks to strengthen your application as much as possible and rock the MCAT.

RockMed Doc

trailrunner89
Oct 21, 2011
California
Status
Medical Student
I sent mine in July 4th last year and had several offers and more interviews than I could go to. So I would say go for it. You interview season may just be more Jan-Mar rather than Oct-Dec. That being said, I did still have an acceptance in late Oct.

OP
N

nabilesmail

7+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I sent mine in July 4th last year and had several offers and more interviews than I could go to. So I would say go for it. You interview season may just be more Jan-Mar rather than Oct-Dec. That being said, I did still have an acceptance in late Oct.
Thanks guys! It seems like I'll still be on the earlier side of things if I submit late June or 1st day of July or whatever. This takes a lot of stress off my hands! Gives me 1 month to perfect my personal statement.

Thanks for the support and advice!