Should I apply again for c/o 2027?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlpine

Reaction score
I applied this last cycle. I was waitlisted IS and my current choices are OOS NC State and Cornell. Cornell is way too expensive and I know NC State allows the establishment of residency after one year. Yet, I have doubts about how establishing residency works. How will this affect everything if I choose to establish my residency? I am quite low on the waitlist for my IS so I don't think I will get in sadly [also if there is anyway I can email my school to help my chances please tell me if that is possible]. Should I just wait for next cycle or go through with NC State? Thanks for all your input! I don't have much time to really think haha

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve seen people like @Trilt post that pretty much everyone is able to get the residency switch if they want to? NCSU is one of the (if not THE) cheapest OOS options and they don’t take many OOS students…I would absolutely go there if you got in. There really isn’t any practical affect for changing your residency status besides getting the cheaper tuition rates. You’re already gonna be living there so may as well go through the steps that I assume include changing your license over, etc. I’m sure the school walks people through the process since 20% of the students go through the process every year. You are not guaranteed to get acceptance next year anywhere so I wouldn’t turn down a seat (especially not such an affordable seat!) unless you’re okay with the possibility that you won’t ever get in anywhere else ever again.

Reactions: 5 users
I would take the spot at NC State, basically echoing everything jayna said. If you want more details on how the residency change works I'm sure you can ask in the school-specific thread here, or talk to admin directly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My info is a couple years outdated, but I know every person who tried for IS status my year got it, and they got walked through the process.

I really liked NCSU and don't hesitate to recommend my school at all.

My info is a couple years outdated, but I know every person who tried for IS status my year got it, and they got walked through the process.

I really liked NCSU and don't hesitate to recommend my school at all.
I would love to know more about NC State if you can elaborate! I'm pretty bummed about not getting IS, but I am happy to hear everyone echoing similar ideas. Sadly, since I have to choose so fast, I can't tour [and they dont allow tours yet]. Anything is helpful!