Should I apply for a PGY-2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argon18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for 10+ residencies for the 2013-2014 application cycle. I didn't match but I was lucky enough to obtain a PGY-1 position through the scramble. After I found out I didn't match, I did some major soul searching and I came to the conclusion that the reason why I didn't match was because I have poor interviewing skills (practiced questions too much, I sounded too rehearsed) and my presentation was weak. Other areas such as grades, leadership, research/publications were covered.
Should I apply for a PGY-2 even if I know I will probably not improve significantly?
I don't know if I can go through the emotional breakdown that I went through last match day again....

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely apply. I think now when u apply to a PGY2, they won't be looking as much at your pharmacy school but rather at your PGY1. Just do a good job in residency and you'll be good! Don't give up

I feel like I was in the same position as you argon18. I think my interview hurt me a lot. I'm a quiet and soft spoken person, and I think that was my detriment. Like you, I was able to scramble. I've been thinking if I really want to go through this process all over again, but I decided that I plan to apply unless I decide a pgy-2 just isn't for me. I figure, I'll apply to 5 programs, do PPS, and see what happens. If it happens, it happens. If not, I'll work. I won't be devastated like I was for a PGY-1 because now I won't feel so lost.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply for a pgy-2 if there is a specialty that you really want to do. Don't let your past experience hinder you from applying if that's really what you want to do.

I
Should I apply for a PGY-2 even if I know I will probably not improve significantly?

What makes you so sure you won't improve? Most residents do presentations on a regular basis, so you'll have ample opportunities to improve your presentation skills.

If you don't improve during your PGY1, then you have wasted your time.

No one will know if you didn't match when applying for PHY2.