Jul 31, 2016
Status
Pharmacy Student
I am currently on my last year of pharmacy school on rotations, and I am trying to decide if I would be competitive enough to get a residency. During my P1 year, I had to repeat a class (that I retook during the summer) due to not studying right for the class--I finally figured out how to study for the class, and I later got an A in the class. During my P3 year, I did not pass a class--not because I wasn't capable of understanding the material...just the combination of work from other classes/my job outside of school unfortunately caught up with me and reflected on my grade for that particular class. I repeated and passed the class the following year, which makes me graduating a year later than intended.

I have a GPA of about 3.1 and had one leadership position in a pharmacy organization as well as I was a member of a couple other pharmacy clubs affiliated with school. My current P4 project is something that I believe will get published, and if I go to Midyear, I would definitely do a poster presentation for it as well. I also think I could get good letters of recommendations from faculty from my school.

I have worked in a retail chain for about 3 years now, and I don't know if retail is exactly what I would like to do for a career once I have graduated. I have done a couple of APPE rotations in a hospital setting, and I am enjoying the hospital environment more than in retail. If anyone would have any advice for possible career options or if I should pursue a residency, I would greatly appreciate it!

stark3

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you don't try then you won't know. Just give residency your best shot! Follow the advice given frequently on this board - apply broadly and you should get some interviews. gluck

Jan 22, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Apply. You are trying to make a choice based on the unknown. You have some good things going for you. Apply broadly to a variety of programs.

PillMan777

7+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2009
AZ
Status
Pharmacy Student
There is absolutely no pharmacy jobs remaining....You are in a race. Your near that inch. Don't over due it.... Retail pharmacy field is dying just get the residency field if you can go all in. The only jobs available are Hospital left... but they require recidency 1 year or experience.

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
3.1 isn't horrible...just apply to less competitive programs, including newer programs, and you may match. I don't know of a single person who regrets doing a residency, so worth a try.