jkchang10

7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2010
330
2
Florida
Status
Hey everyone,

I've applied for med school this year and waiting to hear back from schools right now, but I'm kind of worried so I was wondering if I could get some advice.
Here are my stats (according to my AMCAS app):
BCPM: 3.50 AO: 3.92 Total: 3.72

MCAT: 05/09 - 7 PS, 12 Verbal, 10 Bio, O Essay for 29O
MCAT retake: 05/10 - 7 PS, 11 Verbal, 10 Bio, S Essay for 28S

Graduated from University of Florida with Bachelor's Microbiology, Business Administration Minor May 2010. Continuing education with a Graduate Certificate in Medico-legal Death Investigation through UF Distance Learning Pharmacy Program. Currently a research intern for a Tissue Regeneration company (Regeneration Technologies) for the next year and volunteering in the Medical Examiner's Office assisting with autopsies.

I had 2 W's: 1 in Orgo 2, I retook it in the summer and got a B+ and 1 in Biochem, I retook it in the spring and got a B+.
Also, I got a C+ in Eukaryotic cell Structure Fall Senior year. Otherwise I have mostly A's and B+'s with a couple B's and one B-.

Asian-American, Florida Resident, born/raised in Miami

Lots of ECs, Volunteer in: ER, Med Examiner's Office, Ronald McDonald house, at the hospital, parkinson's lab, did 1 1/2 yrs research at UF, a couple leadership positions with Asian-American Awareness Month

Completed Primary: 9/16
OK LORs

Applied schools (most with completed secondary sometime between late september and later october/early november):

Albany, Albert Einstein, Boston, Creighton, Dartmouth, Drexel, George Washington, Georgetown, Howard, Loma Linda, Loyola, Mayo, Med Coll Wisconsin, Meharry, NYMC, Penn State, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis U, Univ Alabama, Wake Forest

I have been rejected from Dartmouth and WF (screened out)
I have LOR requested and received from Mayo (10/26 received)
I am in the "re-reviewed" status for George Washington
Heard nothing from all other schools.

State schools: FIU (complete 9/30), UF (11/8), UCF (11/8), USF (11/4), FSU (10/20), UM (10/20)

Nothing yet

No interviews yet.

My Thoughts:

I'm worried because my GPA is only OK, my MCAT is a little low, and my application and secondaries were submitted pretty late.

So, should I sit tight and just wait to see what happens? Should I add any other med schools? Should I apply to a DO school just in case (and if so which ones?)? Caribbean schools?

If I don't get in to any med schools, should I reapply and just apply as early as possible? Retake the MCAT again? Also, what should I do to strengthen my application? The problem with applying again is I don't have a plan for the following year (my research internship is full-time and paid but only for a year) so when they ask what are you doing if you're not a full time student I wouldn't know what to say.. I could also go to grad school or apply for an MPH or something I guess...

Thanks for all your help, I'm just a little worried cause I haven't heard anything yet and cause I applied so late for having OK stats.

Good luck to everyone applying and thanks again!
Justin
 

startswithb

Future Urologist
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2010
1,750
90
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think it would hurt to apply to a few DO schools to ease your worries. However, it might be a little late in the cycle to get that whole app process started.

I wouldn't count you out for your state schools yet as you have not been complete very long and you seem fairly competitive.

If you do have to reapply, I'd say yes to retaking the MCAT. That is all I think you would really need to do to enhance your application. Continue with your volunteer activities.

As for what you do if you do not get in this cycle? Gainful employment. Don't be afraid of the real world.

Good luck. I think you're just having a premature panic attack. I mean, you were complete at two schools, what, like yesterday?
 
OP
jkchang10

jkchang10

7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2010
330
2
Florida
Status
So no to DO schools cause it's too late to start that process?

I think the reason why I'm worrying is BECAUSE I was complete at a couple schools like.. yesterday, heh if I had been complete back in August I wouldn't be so worried..

The other thing is, If i decide to retake the MCAT, I should probably shoot for a May exam date again, which would mean signing up by like January (when my application process is far from over) and also it would mean starting to study again for the MCAT...
 

startswithb

Future Urologist
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2010
1,750
90
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So no to DO schools cause it's too late to start that process?

I think the reason why I'm worrying is BECAUSE I was complete at a couple schools like.. yesterday, heh if I had been complete back in August I wouldn't be so worried..

The other thing is, If i decide to retake the MCAT, I should probably shoot for a May exam date again, which would mean signing up by like January (when my application process is far from over) and also it would mean starting to study again for the MCAT...
Eh..honestly, it's your call on the DO plan. I can't say for sure what would happen.

I'd say start studying for the MCAT in February or March if you have no interviews or acceptances by then. You can always cancel your date if you get accepted.
 

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
32,279
11,858
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
Hold to your planned course and see what happens with your current applications.
Do not apply to DO schools late in the season while you're in panic mode. It won't end well.
Make plans to further improve your application, shoring up areas that may be weak. What you've told us about your current activities sounds good. Be sure to let schools know about their progress in future update letters.
Plan to retake the MCAT in April to May. Stategize about getting a DO physician LOR. Research DO school and make a reasoned choice about which ones you'd include on your list. Your old LORs are less than a year old and can be reused.
Apply early next season to both MD and DO programs with improved ECs and possibly a higher MCAT score.
Plan to reapply in June.
Get a flexible job when your research gig is done, even if it means waiting tables (good for people skills). Maybe consider Americorps. Make money. Continue your involvement in some ECs during the next cycle, ideally something clinical and also nonmedical community service.
 

Ursa

woof
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2010
1,077
2
Status
Medical Student
1st MCAT: 29, 2nd MCAT 28 = Red Flag

You probably would have been in better position this cycle had you not taken the 2nd MCAT at all. Going down in your MCAT shows that you cannot do better when you want to improve (this is not my belief, just what adcoms will see). With that said, I don't think you will have much luck in any application cycle until you get an MCAT above 29 and show you can improve. As much as it sucks, the fact is that the MCAT is an easy way to filter people when medschools are searching thousands of applications just to invite a fraction of them. They snatch up any excuse to throw an application out, and your current MCAT situation is just that.

Good Luck! And this time, make sure they have NO excuse to throw out your app...just study for the MCAT without hesitation and rock it!
 
Oct 17, 2010
428
1
Status
Medical Student
1st MCAT: 29, 2nd MCAT 28 = Red Flag

You probably would have been in better position this cycle had you not taken the 2nd MCAT at all. Going down in your MCAT shows that you cannot do better when you want to improve (this is not my belief, just what adcoms will see). With that said, I don't think you will have much luck in any application cycle until you get an MCAT above 29 and show you can improve. As much as it sucks, the fact is that the MCAT is an easy way to filter people when medschools are searching thousands of applications just to invite a fraction of them. They snatch up any excuse to throw an application out, and your current MCAT situation is just that.

Good Luck! And this time, make sure they have NO excuse to throw out your app...just study for the MCAT without hesitation and rock it!
I wouldn't say a one point difference is that huge of a red flag... When people go up one point its not considered that big of a difference... Its all based on who is taking the test that day soo
 
Nov 12, 2010
47
0
Status
Medical Student
So no to DO schools cause it's too late to start that process?

I think the reason why I'm worrying is BECAUSE I was complete at a couple schools like.. yesterday, heh if I had been complete back in August I wouldn't be so worried..

The other thing is, If i decide to retake the MCAT, I should probably shoot for a May exam date again, which would mean signing up by like January (when my application process is far from over) and also it would mean starting to study again for the MCAT...
If you get the app done fast, you definitely have a shot for DO. I know many late apps who got in with similar stats. try the lecoms and kcumb. i'm recomending these 2 because i know late apps that were accepted, i dont really know if they are more likely to accept late apps than others. Do not apply carrib. if you really need an explanation why i can give you one but i feel thats beating the rotting corpse of a long dead horse.