Should I apply IM? 209/249 step scores from Ross University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfar55

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently go to Ross University in the Caribbean, and got my STEP 2 CK score back, and am now wondering if I should apply to IM? After receiving 209 on STEP1, I was very disappointed and thought that Family Medicine might be the only route for me, unless I really did well on CK. I got my CK score back recently and got a 249, a score I am very happy with, but Im still not sure if I would get IM interviews. Ive heard different opinions about how an improved CK score helps your chances. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I currently go to Ross University in the Caribbean, and got my STEP 2 CK score back, and am now wondering if I should apply to IM? After receiving 209 on STEP1, I was very disappointed and thought that Family Medicine might be the only route for me, unless I really did well on CK. I got my CK score back recently and got a 249, a score I am very happy with, but Im still not sure if I would get IM interviews. Ive heard different opinions about how an improved CK score helps your chances. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Check out NRMP's Charting Outcomes in the Match for IMGs (2016). For IM, mean Step 1 of US-IMGs who matched = 228, while mean Step 2 of US-IMGs who matched = 234. 70 US-IMGs scoring between 201-210 on Step 1 matched, while 158 did not. 171 US-IMGs scoring between 241-250 on Step 2, while 24 did not. I have heard some IM programs favor Step 2 over Step 1, but not sure how much or how reliable this information is. Personally, assuming you have no other red flags, and you apply broadly, I would think you have a chance to match somewhere in IM. If you can rank 10 programs, then you have about a 90% of matching. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
thanks for the advice and quick response!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably need to use FM as a back up... 150 IM and 50 FM. I think there is a good chance you will match IM somewhere, but better be safe since you are an IMG.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably need to use FM as a back up... 150 IM and 50 FM. I think there is a good chance you will match IM somewhere, but better be safe since you are an IMG.
Thanks!