Should I Apply in 2020 or 2021 Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millermg88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. As the title suggests, I'm trying to figure out whether I should try to apply during the 2020 or 2021 cycle. I met with my school's pre-health advisor and, tbh, she wasn't super helpful in answering this question.

A little background:

--Graduated from a small liberal arts college with a B.A. in Politics (~3.4 GPA) in 2011. I took some of my pre-requisites during this time:
--Cell Biology (A)
--General Chemistry 1 (B) and 2 (A)
--Calculus (B)
--Statistics (A)
--Botany w/ Lab (A)
--Zoology w/ Lab (B)
--Graduated with Master's in Public Health Policy and Management with a 3.9 GPA + Honors in 2015 and a Master's in Public Service with a ~3.6 GPA in 2016 (dual degree program). Long story short, these gave me a lot of theoretical knowledge and program planning experience BUT they also gave me the conviction that I want to be on the front lines of patient care and not sitting behind a desk all day.
--My school and work experience are ALL OVER THE PLACE because I struggled with alcoholism for a decade. I kept *trying* to go back to school and finish my pre-requisites BUT always ended up withdrawing because I couldn't get my **** together. Thankfully, I'll have a year sober in September and I finally have my **** together and the drive to pursue what I want to do with my life.

This semester, I'm taking Organic Chem 1 w/ Lab, Physics 1 w/ Lab, Microbiology w/ Lab, and an intro level psych class. Next semester, I'll take Organic Chem 2 w/ Lab, Physics 2 w/ Lab, and Genetics for sure. I'll probably try to take another upper-level bio class as well.

The pre-health advisor said that I *could* study for the MCAT through the Spring, take Biochem in the Summer, and apply for the 2020 cycle, but I'm wondering how realistic this is. I feel like I have a lot of things to make up for, given the whole alcoholism thing. I did a lot of cool stuff in undergrad and in my master's programs, but the past two years have really been spent trying to get it together and manage my sobriety so I've literally done nothing. I feel like there is a lot to be done in terms of extracurriculars, clinical experience, volunteering, etc...in order to make sure my application is strong since most of my stuff is years old.

For some context about my other obligations during this time, I work part-time at an Escape Room where they will let me study/do homework as long as nobody is in the lobby. I also drive for UberEats/WAITR. I obviously also have commitments related to maintaining my sobriety, but that's about it right now.

What would you do? Push hard for a year and apply in 2020 or let it ride until 2021?

EDIT: Also, the Chair of the Biology department advised that I could get a B.S. in Biology by taking 48 credit hours (includes all of the pre-med courses that I have to take anyways). All Biology majors have to have a minor as well, but if I minor in Chemistry, I would be able to stay in the 48 credit hour range.

Do y'all think that it would be a benefit to just complete the B.S. in Biology or should I just continue as a DIY post-bac student?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey y'all. As the title suggests, I'm trying to figure out whether I should try to apply during the 2020 or 2021 cycle. I met with my school's pre-health advisor and, tbh, she wasn't super helpful in answering this question.

A little background:

--Graduated from a small liberal arts college with a B.A. in Politics (~3.4 GPA) in 2011. I took some of my pre-requisites during this time:
--Cell Biology (A)
--General Chemistry 1 (B) and 2 (A)
--Calculus (B)
--Statistics (A)
--Botany w/ Lab (A)
--Zoology w/ Lab (B)
--Graduated with Master's in Public Health Policy and Management with a 3.9 GPA + Honors in 2015 and a Master's in Public Service with a ~3.6 GPA in 2016 (dual degree program). Long story short, these gave me a lot of theoretical knowledge and program planning experience BUT they also gave me the conviction that I want to be on the front lines of patient care and not sitting behind a desk all day.
--My school and work experience are ALL OVER THE PLACE because I struggled with alcoholism for a decade. I kept *trying* to go back to school and finish my pre-requisites BUT always ended up withdrawing because I couldn't get my **** together. Thankfully, I'll have a year sober in September and I finally have my **** together and the drive to pursue what I want to do with my life.

This semester, I'm taking Organic Chem 1 w/ Lab, Physics 1 w/ Lab, Microbiology w/ Lab, and an intro level psych class. Next semester, I'll take Organic Chem 2 w/ Lab, Physics 2 w/ Lab, and Genetics for sure. I'll probably try to take another upper-level bio class as well.

The pre-health advisor said that I *could* study for the MCAT through the Spring, take Biochem in the Summer, and apply for the 2020 cycle, but I'm wondering how realistic this is. I feel like I have a lot of things to make up for, given the whole alcoholism thing. I did a lot of cool stuff in undergrad and in my master's programs, but the past two years have really been spent trying to get it together and manage my sobriety so I've literally done nothing. I feel like there is a lot to be done in terms of extracurriculars, clinical experience, volunteering, etc...in order to make sure my application is strong since most of my stuff is years old.

For some context about my other obligations during this time, I work part-time at an Escape Room where they will let me study/do homework as long as nobody is in the lobby. I also drive for UberEats/WAITR. I obviously also have commitments related to maintaining my sobriety, but that's about it right now.

What would you do? Push hard for a year and apply in 2020 or let it ride until 2021?

Do you mean apply during the 2019 cycle to matriculate in 2020?? With not having Biochem at least until summer 2019 here’s what I would do. I would avoid a summer class for Biochem because you really won’t be able to fit the MCAT in all that well unless you’re doing absolutely nothing but studying. Take Biochem in the Fall 2019 and really learn it. You’re going to need it. Given your history and how you feel about your sobriety, i would listen to your gut. Take Biochem fall 2019, take the MCAT in 2020 and apply June 2020. Focus on your classes and staying committed, since you have a history of withdrawing and biting off more than you can chew. There’s no rush and one year won’t kill you! Congrats on your sobriety... protect that first and foremost.

ETA: that also gives you time to beef up your extracurriculars!

Forget about the BS in biology. You don’t need it. Focus on being consistent and doing well in the classes you’re already taking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users