Should I apply June 1st or June 27th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdreaming91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if I should apply by June 1st or June 27th, the reason is because I have transferred from UC Riverside to UCLA. My GPA leaving UCR was a 3.41 (3.22 freshman year, and 3.51 sophomore year). My first two quarters at UCLA I have received a 3.648 and a 3.67 overall bringing my gpa to a 3.4770. My question is should I complete this quarter (which ends June 15th or not) and show one more quarter of an upward trend or should I go ahead and apply day one.

I have no yet taken the MCAT ( will take May 31st, but I know I can add that score when I receive it).
My cumulative GPA is a 3.4770 and my science a 3.18.

I have experience shadowing both an MD and DO and have an LOR from three professors as well as a DO.
I have had two positions of leadership secretary and program coordinator of two separate clubs.

I have been a volunteer in a Hospital health library for two years, as well as part of three clubs that are all medically related. I am also heavily involved in intramural sports.

I do know that applying early is crucial, so yeah thats basically why I am asking all this, and if you guys could let me know my chances thatd be great as well. MCAT realistically between 27-31...

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if I should apply by June 1st or June 27th, the reason is because I have transferred from UC Riverside to UCLA. My GPA leaving UCR was a 3.41 (3.22 freshman year, and 3.51 sophomore year). My first two quarters at UCLA I have received a 3.648 and a 3.67 overall bringing my gpa to a 3.4770. My question is should I complete this quarter (which ends June 15th or not) and show one more quarter of an upward trend or should I go ahead and apply day one.

I have no yet taken the MCAT ( will take May 31st, but I know I can add that score when I receive it).
My cumulative GPA is a 3.4770 and my science a 3.18.

I have experience shadowing both an MD and DO and have an LOR from three professors as well as a DO.
I have had two positions of leadership secretary and program coordinator of two separate clubs.

I have been a volunteer in a Hospital health library for two years, as well as part of three clubs that are all medically related. I am also heavily involved in intramural sports.

I do know that applying early is crucial, so yeah thats basically why I am asking all this, and if you guys could let me know my chances thatd be great as well. MCAT realistically between 27-31...

I wouldn't waste your money this year. There is minimal chance you will get in with that low of a science GPA. The first sememster of medical school is like 35 credits. I would take the MCAT, see how you do and spend the next year fixing your GPA. An always, always, always apply on the June 1st especially if your stats are low. But at this point, I think you are too low to be looked at. You will save yourself a lot of heartache if you waited a year.

I disagree. Your science GPA is low, but that doesn't mean you can't be accepted. I know people who have been accepted with that or lower. Don't let anyone tell you that it is impossible.

You have a better chance if you apply early. Send it in June 1st and then add the other classes later. You just have to study hard and do well on the MCAT.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Send it early and apply broadly! AACOMAS will update your GPA so that's not a real problem. Start studying for that MCAT though.

What effect would this last quarter have on your science GPA? If it pulls it up to a 3.25 or 3.3 (e.g., if you haven't taken many science credits and if this is maybe a 4/5 credit hour class), I would apply as soon as you get those grades back. Do well on the MCAT and you'll be fine.

OK, so all you pre meds who are disagreeing with me, someone who just went through all the rigors of applying, med school, and residency think that this OP has a shot with a 3.1 science GPA? Go ahead and waste your money, believe me I'm all about the underdog, etc. But realistically folks, not even DO schools are going to look at that.

Earn a strong enough MCAT and you may have a chance. I was accepted my first cycle with a much lower sGPA. That being said, you're description of your EC's makes them seem like they could use some work.

Best of luck.

27+ mcat and you will get multiple interviews... The average sGPA for DO is 3.36 so yours is not that far from the average. But you would have a better shot if you can bring your sGPA to 3.2+

OK, so all you pre meds who are disagreeing with me, someone who just went through all the rigors of applying, med school, and residency think that this OP has a shot with a 3.1 science GPA? Go ahead and waste your money, believe me I'm all about the underdog, etc. But realistically folks, not even DO schools are going to look at that.

I think my sGPA was just above a 3.0, and my cGPA was about 3.3, with multiple retakes. I had 3 acceptances and turned down several additional interviews. It's definately possible.

You're going to want an MCAT of around 30 or better, though, and hopefully you have good ECs.

How much will your GPA increase if you include this quarter? I think you've demonstrated enough of an upward trend, so I'd be more concerned about whether the increase will be big enough to justify delaying for a month. But will they verify transcripts prior to having an MCAT score? If not, wait, since it really won't delay your application at all when you consider that you'll be waiting a month for the MCAT results to come in.

Last edited:
Oh and I forgot to say, you should wait till the end of June, so that the schools you apply to can just have your best application up front rather than relying on updates. End of June is still plenty early.

Best of luck.

A 3.1 is within a standard deviation (Average: 3.36, SD: .43) of accepted osteopathic students. As long as his MCAT score is decent he will be able to get accepted. Sure, if this was allo then yah a 3.1 would tank him if he's not from a top 10, but for DO he's not that far off. In fact if he has a 28-29 on his Mcat he's likely around the average for accepted students for DO schools ( LizzyM score).

Last edited:
I would apply at the end of June with the hopes of your sGPA shooting up another tenth or two. It is still early and every bit helps with borderline stats.

One thing to keep in mind for the SD is that there are likely people with very low grades bringing it down who have good recent performance. I would think most people on the low end of stats probably have a postbacc or Jr/Sr year with recent good grades (3.5+ science) or a high MCAT (30+). I would think you'll have a good shot with 3.5cGPA/3.2 sGPA/27+ MCAT. Your ECs sound very run of the mill so I doubt that will help you out. Make sure you do well on the MCAT and write some thoughtful essays.