Should I apply just in TX or OOS as well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShoTyme

We're going STREAKING!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this or not. I'm applying this application cycle. I did the Texas fresh start program which effectively wiped out my grades from when I was an idiot. So my cGPA is now 3.92 and my sGPA is 3.80. I am applying to all Texas medical schools - save Baylor because they do not recognize the fresh start. My question is, should I also apply out of state as well even though they won't recognize my fresh start gpa? My cGPA would then fall to 3.35. I don't take the MCAT until July 14th so unfortunately I don't have that piece of the puzzle to give you. Thanks for your insight!

Sho-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you don't take the MCAT until July 14th you won't get your score back until mid-August, which will give you a serious disadvantage if you apply OOS. Still, if you have a very good MCAT and there are OOS school you want to go to, applying to them would probably be worth your while. Even without the fresh start it sounds like you have enough postbac credits to show that your first round of college is in no way indicative of your current ability to do well in med school. Just make sure that your application is ready to submit the day your MCAT score arrives.

If you don't take the MCAT until July 14th you won't get your score back until mid-August, which will give you a serious disadvantage if you apply OOS. Still, if you have a very good MCAT and there are OOS school you want to go to, applying to them would probably be worth your while. Even without the fresh start it sounds like you have enough postbac credits to show that your first round of college is in no way indicative of your current ability to do well in med school. Just make sure that your application is ready to submit the day your MCAT score arrives.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will get my application ready to go for all the other schools as well. I have been waffling back and forth on this decision because I would have to fill out a whole new application since Texas uses the TMDSAS. This means making sure I get my LOR's sent to both places as well. I guess I could at least get it set up and decide later. Thanks for the response!

Sho-

Members don't see this ad :)
Do classes from the fresh start program count as re-takes? If so, your GPA should improve with the new grades.

Do classes from the fresh start program count as re-takes? If so, your GPA should improve with the new grades.

No. The fresh start program is only available in Texas. It completely gets rid of grades that are 10 years old or older, whether good or bad. So I started completely over with my undergrad coursework. But if I apply outside of the state of TX, my old gpa will come into play as these schools will not recognize my fresh start. Therefore I will have a much less competitive gpa for medical school. So I really am wondering if it would be wise to stick with Texas. I read all over this site that I should apply broadly. I would be willing to do that, but in my situation I'm not sure how much sense it makes. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah... UTSW would be idyllic for me as well. I wouldn't have to move my family. The in-laws are close to help with the kids (although sometimes too close!). But it's ultra competitive. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

I would apply to OOS too....
Keep us posted on the Tx academic fresh start...

Fresh start is done! I already completed everything necessary for it to take effect. Got the proof here at my desk and all. :D It really is cool to know that a program like that is out there. And I never would have known about it if it were not for SDN. I will let everyone know if/when I get an interview and if/when I get an acceptance. :thumbup:

With that strong post-bac and a good MCAT, you could be competitive at a lot of places, not just fresh-start schools in TX.

Hello all. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this or not. I'm applying this application cycle. I did the Texas fresh start program which effectively wiped out my grades from when I was an idiot. So my cGPA is now 3.92 and my sGPA is 3.80. I am applying to all Texas medical schools - save Baylor because they do not recognize the fresh start. My question is, should I also apply out of state as well even though they won't recognize my fresh start gpa? My cGPA would then fall to 3.35. I don't take the MCAT until July 14th so unfortunately I don't have that piece of the puzzle to give you. Thanks for your insight!

Sho-
With the GPA's listed above, I can't imagine you having a BETTER chance at a non-Texas school than any fresh-start recognizing Texas school. Unless you really, really want to leave the state, I don't think you gain anything by applying OOS; just apply to all the Texas schools that recognize your new stats. Applying broadly is generally good advice, but your case is very different from the average applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. The fresh start program is only available in Texas. It completely gets rid of grades that are 10 years old or older, whether good or bad. So I started completely over with my undergrad coursework. But if I apply outside of the state of TX, my old gpa will come into play as these schools will not recognize my fresh start. Therefore I will have a much less competitive gpa for medical school. So I really am wondering if it would be wise to stick with Texas. I read all over this site that I should apply broadly. I would be willing to do that, but in my situation I'm not sure how much sense it makes. I hope that makes sense.

I would contact AACOMAS and see if they are accepted as retakes, because on the AACOMAS retakes replace your old grade. So it might be worth a phone call to make sure.

With the GPA's listed above, I can't imagine you having a BETTER chance at a non-Texas school than any fresh-start recognizing Texas school. Unless you really, really want to leave the state, I don't think you gain anything by applying OOS; just apply to all the Texas schools that recognize your new stats. Applying broadly is generally good advice, but your case is very different from the average applicant.

Very true. That's what I was thinking. And I think I'd rather stay in TX with a very few exceptions. There are some very good med schools in some awesome locations. I also have family all over the country so that is really cool also. But your point is very valid. I'm probably over-thinking this. I just want to give myself the best possible chance of getting accepted obviously. Thanks for your input!

I would contact AACOMAS and see if they are accepted as retakes, because on the AACOMAS retakes replace your old grade. So it might be worth a phone call to make sure.

At this point, I really don't want to retake everything I screwed up on in the past. Heck, I don't even know if I can. I took some really oddball classes. I'm ready to apply now and don't want to prolong my undergrad classes unless it's absolutely required. I think/hope I have done enough to get in SOMEWHERE. Thanks for your thoughts!

Sho-

If you simply want to give yourself the best chance possible to get into medical school, then you've probably done as much as you can simply by living in TX and having a nice GPA. Without more specifics about you, I'd say any decent MCAT score, a good story and some good ECs should give you VERY good chances in TX.

If you are ok with staying in Texas, STAY IN TEXAS. ($$$)

You can't beat the in-state tuition in Texas. It can't hurt your chances to apply to a handful of schools outside the state; the process is such a crapshoot sometimes... I was surprised by some schools I got interviews at, and also surprised at some that I didn't. But if you have a choice, definitely stay put and get in-state tuition.

Good luck Sho.

I did exactly what you are doing last cycle except Fresh Start wiped out a much worse GPA for me. I got married way, way too young, had kids, started a business, and just completely stunk up my GPA, but it's all behind me now. I'll be starting at Southwestern in August.

The OOS thing is entirely your preference in my opinion. With the great schools we have in Texas and the 90% in state admissions requirement, your chances at getting accepted here assuming a competitive MCAT are really very, very good. We both know it takes a lot to start completely over in pursuit of your dream, so you have all my respect. Good luck on the MCAT and your application this cycle.

Good luck Sho.

I did exactly what you are doing last cycle except Fresh Start wiped out a much worse GPA for me. I got married way, way too young, had kids, started a business, and just completely stunk up my GPA, but it's all behind me now. I'll be starting at Southwestern in August.

The OOS thing is entirely your preference in my opinion. With the great schools we have in Texas and the 90% in state admissions requirement, your chances at getting accepted here assuming a competitive MCAT are really very, very good. We both know it takes a lot to start completely over in pursuit of your dream, so you have all my respect. Good luck on the MCAT and your application this cycle.

Thank you. It's great to hear from someone who went through what I am going through now. Congrats on UTSW!! I hope to gain acceptance at UTSW also (as do obviously many premeds). Did they ask you about older grades? They still get to see them I guess but it doesn't factor into the GPA calculation (if I am correct). Thank you for your well wishes and for posting your inspiring story. :)

Thank you. It's great to hear from someone who went through what I am going through now. Congrats on UTSW!! I hope to gain acceptance at UTSW also (as do obviously many premeds). Did they ask you about older grades? They still get to see them I guess but it doesn't factor into the GPA calculation (if I am correct). Thank you for your well wishes and for posting your inspiring story. :)

I cannot say with certainty that the old grades were not available to them. They were never asked about at any of my interviews, and I strongly suspect that the old grades were effectively wiped out for purposes of the application process.

Yes, TMDSAS asks for all of your transcripts, even those prior to the 10 year Fresh Start window; however, once TMDSAS had finished processing my app and just prior (hours) to their transmitting my app to the schools, from what I could see on my browser client end, they deleted all semesters on my app that were subject to FS. There was one interview where my interviewer had my file open, and I could see her looking over my academic record. All she referenced verbally was my post-FS GPA. I think now, post interview, may be the first time anyone has seen my pre-FS grades. While the schools now have all my transcripts as required, it seems reasonable to me that the State of Texas may have set it up with TMDSAS this way to ensure that the intent of the FS legislation would be honored in all cases and not administered subjectively depending upon which adcom member may have picked up a given FS app. I do not have absolute verification of this deduction on my part, but it seems the most likely thing to me. (an aside: the atrocious condition of my GPA prior to FS also leads me to believe it was never seen. Then again, perhaps a dramatic difference was noteworthy to the adcoms.) Someday I'd like to get a specific answer on all this.

Again, best of luck. Maybe I'll see you at interviews this fall! Just look for the old guy. ;)

Last edited:
Again, best of luck. Maybe I'll see you at interviews this fall! Just look for the old guy. ;)

HA!! I totally will. But you should see me coming first. I'm old, 6'6" and bald (on purpose :p). So I will probably stick out like a sore thumb should I make it there. :xf:

I spoke with someone at TMDSAS about the fresh start and she said that they do not transmit those pre FS grades to the schools. All the schools would know is that you're a FS applicant and your post FS GPA. She said the schools will see everything after/if they accept you and request transcripts....

I spoke with someone at TMDSAS about the fresh start and she said that they do not transmit those pre FS grades to the schools. All the schools would know is that you're a FS applicant and your post FS GPA. She said the schools will see everything after/if they accept you and request transcripts....

Good lookin out. Thanks!

I would say just apply to TX schools. I didn't do the fresh start (it was very new when I was applying) and had the same sort of dilemma. I definitely wanted to stay in-state, and, in the end, I reasoned that if I didn't get into a TX school, I could just reapply more broadly the next year. It was a little bit of a gamble, I guess, but it paid off. I got into 2 out of 7 in-state schools and couldn't be happier with how things worked out. Best of luck to you!

I would say just apply to TX schools. I didn't do the fresh start (it was very new when I was applying) and had the same sort of dilemma. I definitely wanted to stay in-state, and, in the end, I reasoned that if I didn't get into a TX school, I could just reapply more broadly the next year. It was a little bit of a gamble, I guess, but it paid off. I got into 2 out of 7 in-state schools and couldn't be happier with how things worked out. Best of luck to you!

Yeah. I that's what I've decided to do as well. I would like to stay in Texas if possible. If I don't get in (God forbid), then I will apply everywhere next cycle. It's great that you got 2 acceptances. Good job! Hopefully I'll be able to say that soon. :D